Sequoyah

Frontman

I believe that overcoming what the previous staff and admin had done made it a tough tough job.  His willingness to come out with the same kids and actually be competitive was a good job.  The kids will now have a full year under new leadership in the building and the football field.  Setting schedules and having an off season will help as well.  Too many obstacles year 1 to overcome, but I would say with the staff they have now they will do some really good things.  Seems that their numbers were way up and the schemes were something that were something that they are invested in.  Now with that being said, I know that he is a good coach and wants to build something there....but if a job calls that entices him he may go.

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Frontman said:

If he did a good job then standards and expectations for a successful program sure have hit an all time low!!!!!!

It is year 1. Wins will come. A successful program is more than winning games. Bringing a drug ridden community together, creating a family focused environment and growing young men are far more important. Like I said, the wins will come but the buy in is there from the kids and community. I love seeing all the extra events that included family in the program. These kids benefited from Coach teaching life lessons and respect. 

1 hour ago, housemouse said:

It is year 1. Wins will come. A successful program is more than winning games. Bringing a drug ridden community together, creating a family focused environment and growing young men are far more important. Like I said, the wins will come but the buy in is there from the kids and community. I love seeing all the extra events that included family in the program. These kids benefited from Coach teaching life lessons and respect. 

I agree with this statement for high school.  Sometimes successful coaching at this level is not winning on the field, but teaching kids hard work, community, and life lessons are far more important.  Rural schools will always cycle.  Just because a coach has a winning record, in high school, doesn't neccesarliy mean he is the best coach, and sometimes it does.  What I am trying to say is, in high school, it takes a community.  Alcoa and Maryville benifit from strong community involved feeder programs where those people work with the schools to run the schemes and such.  Small rural communities have to come together and try to be the solution, instead of blaming a one or two year head coach for a program not seeing success.

I understand you all have an outside prospective, and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but that program is dead and will remain dead until leadership in the school system allows Sequoyah to be self governed by a competent administration. Parham is finding out real quick that the head principal of SQHS is micromanaged and manipulated beyond belief. Monroe County Schools is nothing but a cesspool. They do not care about athletics, or any extracurricular for the matter.  Hats off to Mike at Sweetwater who has done well, and is a great guy. Bobby has his work cut out for him at Tellico but he is a much better coach than Vestal. Those in power in MCS do not care about what is actually good for the students they represent and SERVE. Debi Tipton went from a beloved educator in the Vonore community to a spineless and deceitful cutthroat. Vestal is selling fool's gold to those dumb enough to buy it. He proclaims to be a Christian, that's all well and good, but he is also a pathological liar. Christian or not, that's not someone who should be leading young men. He pulled the rug out from under Cortez at LC, undermining him, wanting the head job. Since the time he arrived at SQHS, he had been caught in MULTIPLE, MULTIPLE, dumb and absolutely pointless lies. He told SQHS admin he pulled his name from the hat at LC when he accepted the job and on the day he came to speak to the boys, they found out that he, in fact, was still in the running at LC. He would have happily came to greet the boys at Sequoyah and then bail on them had he gotten the call. Lies about all of his supposed "connections". The panthers made an incredible decision not to hire him. Tried to run off a boy because he missed practice due to his father's heart operation and he and his wife both lied about how conversations went. This is kind of a running joke, but if you ever get the chance to watch him run or shake the man's hand, you'll know everything you need to know. There is a reason why McMinn County will not have him step foot back into the county he came from. Have a good day.

Edited by SayWhen55
punctuation