Springfield @ Munford 2nd Round Playoffs

Kevin38

49 minutes ago, DANR said:

Yes Springfield wasn't clicking on all cylinders on offense last night. Too many self inflicted penalties, and gave up some bad sacks. It became apparent in the 3rd Q that MC wasn't trying to win the game, but to keep it close. They punted several times in Springfield territory down 21 points.  The Jackets were content to run it into a 9 man box and run the clock out. I don't blame them for trying to get out of there with a W and not sustain injuries. This game got pretty chippy, would have been bad to lose a key player on a dirty hit in a game that was never in question after the 2nd quarter.

I wasn't surprised to see the Jackets pass on the post game handshake.  There was potential for after game fireworks.  MC coach seemed to lack discipline with his behavior.  He was on the field as much as off.  

37 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I’m not a Munford fan, but they beat my Covington team to open the season. I have a little insight on them. They have some talent that Munford has not had before. As our broadcast team told me before we played them, they have three players who are college prospects. 

Their QB, Bell, is a real threat both passing and running the ball. The running back, Sharp, transferred in from Brighton, making Brighton fans mad, and really improving the Munford offense. They also have a transfer wideout, Cobb, who came in from Memphis White Station. Between these three, their offense is cooking. They all are among the offensive leaders in the Metro Memphis area.

But, what impressed me most was their defense. They held Covington to 7 points, which is way below our season average in the high 30s. Even Haywood gave up 17 to our offense.

So, I’ve followed their season with interest, and it appears that our little 3A team losing to an undefeated 5A Munford was not as bad as it seemed at the time. I know zip about Springfield, but if y’all can beat Munford, you will have done something.

We have to play our A game every game from here on out 

9 hours ago, TheCommissioner said:

We have to play our A game every game from here on out 

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that Covington had beat Munford the last four years, so this season’s loss to them showed how much Munford has improved this season. And, Covington proceeded to win the next 7 games after that loss, so it’s not like we had fallen off in talent.

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that Covington had beat Munford the last four years, so this season’s loss to them showed how much Munford has improved this season. And, Covington proceeded to win the next 7 games after that loss, so it’s not like we had fallen off in talent.

Springfield is nothing if they are not well coached, that is a definite. They will not over look Munford and be well prepared, they have gone on the road all the way to semis in the past, so the road trip will be no problem...

6 minutes ago, Kevin38 said:

Springfield is nothing if they are not well coached, that is a definite. They will not over look Munford and be well prepared, they have gone on the road all the way to semis in the past, so the road trip will be no problem...

Hard to overlook the team most are picking to win…

20 minutes ago, eers said:

Hard to overlook the team most are picking to win…

The second half of the Henry County game is the best football we have played this year IMHO.  We need to play to that level for the whole game the rest of the way to be successful 

I am cautiously optimistic about our possibilities Friday evening 

Edited by TheCommissioner

19 minutes ago, TheCommissioner said:

The second half of the Henry County game is the best football we have played this year IMHO.  We need to play to that level for the whole game the rest of the way to be successful 

I am cautiously optimistic about our possibilities Friday evening 

I personally like their chances, but they have to play better than they did yesterday. That was not a good showing IMO. 

1 hour ago, Kevin38 said:

I don’t think there was any reason to mention “over looking” Munford… when you’re the underdog…