Will tssaa ever stop being crooks?

fooseball95

TSSAA is a non-profit, thus they have to file a 990 every year which is public record.  Here is the 2021 Summary, I would need to pull the actual 990 to see a detail of program services.

Total Revenue

$4,210,298

Total Functional Expenses $3,577,776
Net income $632,522
Notable sources of revenue Percent of total revenue
Contributions $411,275     9.8%
Program services $3,695,411     87.8%
Investment income $88,780     2.1%
Bond proceeds $0  
Royalties $0  
Rental property income $0  
Net fundraising $0  
Sales of assets $0  
Net inventory sales $0  
Other revenue $14,832    0.4%
Notable expenses Percent of total expenses
Executive compensation $771,176   21.6%
Professional fundraising fees $0  
Other salaries and wages $813,557   22.7%
Other
Total Assets $3,665,012
Total Liabilities $494,451
Net Assets $3,170,561
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, troubledtruth said:

It isn’t the same amount in the end I promise you that. teams that made the state championship in Georgia in 2011-2012 made close to 30,000 for that game alone. That’s more than what some teams made from All 5 games last year dealing with TSSAA. I would also go out on a limb and say that they make more now because In 2019 they were making close to 50,000. 

okay.  So you'd like more prize money?  you reckon that has anything to do with the five million more people they have in the state?

11 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

How does the TSSAA know a certain school made $10,000+ dollars during a playoff game?

Example: I think Brentwood will travel 3 hours to play Bartlett. If Bartlett comes out with $10,000 in gate, then how does the TSSAA know Bartlett made $10,000?

Tickets are issued by TSSAA and have to be returned after.

It's strange to me that they couldn't just pay all expenses off the top. (Gross amount)

- Officials and mileage.
- Mileage for road team, set amount per mile.
- Maybe a meal per diem for the road team.
- Gate Workers, etc.
- (Whatever else I'm forgetting...)

Then split what's left 3 ways....

Edited by OICU812

10 hours ago, eers said:

1) The answer is zero in most cases. There are exceptions, but for the most part that answer is zero.

2) Tour buses aren’t a requirement. Don’t spend money for something that’s not a necessity and then complain about it. Now we’re just talking about foot expense  It’s an hour away, have a pregame meal at the school.

3) I would assume there were more than 1000 people in attendance. As far as ticket prices, a lower price means less to the schools as well. Less money = more complaining.

4) With all the complaining about the quality of service TSSAA provides, imagine if you paid less and the quality of people you would get. Not for profit doesn’t mean the people that work there do it for less. The American Red Cross has several employees making over $700k. In regard to multiple offices, that again increases the expense. Not very fiduciary if we’re still complaining about the fiscal responsibility of TSSAA.

I do agree teams with teams not making the playoffs with those kind of records, but I don’t know what the answer is. Honestly, I don’t believe it’s less teams, rather something along the lines of what the Z Plan was. Maybe too 2 in each region get an automatic bid and the remainder are at large bids, but that wasn’t the point of the original post. The original post was about charter buses, dinner, and an abysmal crowd for a 5A playoff game.

I guess my point is I hate to hear people complain about things they don’t know and don’t have a better solution.  There are a lot of moving pieces to any regulatory entity and someone is always going to be upset, but I’ll not complain if I don’t have a viable alternative. 

2. Neither are BMW’s for executives but guess what. That is what I’ve seen them actually rent when the event was about 25 mins from where they live. What’s good for the goose should be good for the gander. Don’t complain about wanting your kids to ride a bus in comfort and yet the executives that also make 6 figures rent expensive vehicles to drive. I mean they also rent economy cars. As far as pregame meal. Yeah, it’s an hour away, but I didn’t know the kids got to the game and just started. They are there hours early, so warmups and by the end, even a game an hour away ends up being 5-6 hours away from home. Let’s just do that with snacks that parents provide I guess.

as far as quality of people you would get if paid less. The quality we have now sucks. I’ve spoke to every single one of them sometime during my time with kids in sports or coaching. We pay big bucks for cut rate svc. As far as Red Cross. I don’t give a dime to them, it is because I can find other alternatives to helping people where the actual amount of money spent is a better % of what is taken in. Red Cross is a joke when it comes to every dollar given and how much is spent on actual helping. Same reason I don’t give to goodwill either. 

we do need less teams, the more teams wasn’t done for the kids, it was done because of greed, just like wrestling being split into multiple classes. TSSAA has been ran the entire time I’ve dealt with them(past 25 years) with greed. You can try and talk to those that have ran TSSAA and they could care less about changing things if it doesn’t help their bottom line and the fringe benefits that come with it. I’ve seen them whine and dine at the finest restaurants, pull up in rental cars that I wouldn’t even dream of renting because of how much it costs. It’s not just about football but all the other sports also. They have all gotten screwed because of the money hungry TSSAA. 

my change would be this. Hire executives that are former AD’s or principals from TN schools that have retired. They are already getting retirement benefits so let them double dip and pay them 60-70k a year. I know of a few now retired upper management school officials that would take the jobs. They love the kids, they love sports and want what is best. Some fought TSSAA for years on changes that needed to make and got nowhere. I know you said maybe the schools should get more stuff donated so it lowers their costs. Lol, that is hilarious, I mean you do know that right now it’s a hard time for a lot of businesses to be giving away stuff, you do know that booster clubs bust their butts to get sponsors to pay coaching salaries, to upkeep fields, to do pregame meals throughout the 10 week season? Parents also having to fork out money just for their kid to be on the team? So let’s ask even more of them, and not from the entity that is supposed to support and help growth of sports for the state of TN. How about instead of putting all the executives up in the most expensive hotel close to the event facility they go to a motel 6 or such, or no flashy cars rented or the expensive restaurants that they go to eat at. No let’s just ask more of the people that do give of their time and money while letting those that really do nothing for the sports except make great money from them continue to skate free from being called out on it. I think last I saw BC gave 200k for the sponsorship of TN football. UTC and Chattanooga is paying good money to host the games and volunteers are being asked to run concession stands, parking, hand out programs to sell(another thing TSSAA banks the entire amount from). Also in that bid to host the championships take a look at what all fringe benefits had to be offered to entice TSSAA to hold the games there. Expensive hotel rooms, box suites for TSSAA executives. Yeah, they strong arm those that bid on it to get the best for themselves, they got all kind of perks to have it hosted at TN Tech/Cookeville  and only changed once Tech pulled back on some of their perks. 

but it doesn’t matter, nothing is going to change because TSSAA holds all the cards and teams just want to play, so they aren’t going to threaten their student athletes from being able to play their sport. TSSAA sucks and it has as long as I’ve known or worked with them, also by the way, I was never paid as a coach. I coached in GA for a few years and in TN. I never got a cent to coach, I paid my own way to ever match or tournament I coached at and any hotel room I used during that time. Some of us do it for the love of the sport and to try and help it grow. 

• Upvote 1