Will tssaa ever stop being crooks?

fooseball95

11 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

TSSAA doesn’t care a thing about the parents and fans and really don’t care much about the schools either. It’s an ends to means for them, they make a ton of money off the schools so that the schools have sports for kids to play. If you don’t join TSSAA you would be with a very small amount of schools playing for nothing.

I know this because for years we tried to get the wrestling state tourney out of the cow palace. I had been to the state tourney every year since 1995. Worked a few as a volunteer, wrestled in it and coached. Went 1 year to that dump and had a bad reaction as it is an agriculture center where livestock inhabit it more than humans. I haven’t went back since and don’t plan on it although I love wrestling. They do it at the cow palace because it was free for them to hold it there. And for no reason will it move from there again if they have any chance of holding it there. Venue was free, most workers are volunteers and they still charge and arm and leg for tickets and have way to many sessions that just waste time. So they are making a fortune off it and they sure haven’t spruced up the medals they give or team plaques. They do the same for football finals where the host city has to pay to hold the event. I’ll have to check and see what all other states require that to happen. 

This is very true, and very emblematic of why people have such frustration with the TSSAA...I would like to hear more about how you tried to get it out of the cow palace in Franklin.  I go back to the 90s with the state wrestling tournament also, it it really was one of the great sporting events of the year when it was held at UTC back then.  I went to watch several years ago at the Cow Palace and couldn't believe how awful the whole thing was.  Every fan, parent I talked to just shook their head and said "it is what it is".  This past year, for whatever reason, the D2 championships had to be moved to MBA.  The event was honestly fantastic and a lot like the old days.  Mainstreet Preps wrote a piece about how positive the feedback was on MBA as a host site.  Well, knock me over with a feather, the TSSAA is actually allowing MBA to host it again this year.  I'm shocked because the TSSAA will never, ever, ever let D2 have something that is perceived as better than what D1 has, and now the D2 championship is definitely better than the D1 championship.  So I won't be shocked if next year everyone is back at the cow palace because the usual TSSAA m.o. is that everyone has to suffer equally rather than aspire to a better overall event.

4 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

This is very true, and very emblematic of why people have such frustration with the TSSAA...I would like to hear more about how you tried to get it out of the cow palace in Franklin.  I go back to the 90s with the state wrestling tournament also, it it really was one of the great sporting events of the year when it was held at UTC back then.  I went to watch several years ago at the Cow Palace and couldn't believe how awful the whole thing was.  Every fan, parent I talked to just shook their head and said "it is what it is".  This past year, for whatever reason, the D2 championships had to be moved to MBA.  The event was honestly fantastic and a lot like the old days.  Mainstreet Preps wrote a piece about how positive the feedback was on MBA as a host site.  Well, knock me over with a feather, the TSSAA is actually allowing MBA to host it again this year.  I'm shocked because the TSSAA will never, ever, ever let D2 have something that is perceived as better than what D1 has, and now the D2 championship is definitely better than the D1 championship.  So I won't be shocked if next year everyone is back at the cow palace because the usual TSSAA m.o. is that everyone has to suffer equally rather than aspire to a better overall event.

The TSSAA is allowing the D2 state wrestling championships to be hosted by Montgomery Bell Academy because the D2 tournament must be one week earlier than the D1 tournament because the top place winners in the D2 tournament are invited to the National Prep School Tournament.  It is also my understanding that sometime in the near future the TSSAA will not be able to use the Cow Palace and another site will have to be found.  The one and only reason that the tournament is still at the Williamson County Agricultural Center after all of the complaints is because if was FREE.  The TSSAA was not charged anything to use the facility.  

10 minutes ago, cbg said:

The TSSAA is allowing the D2 state wrestling championships to be hosted by Montgomery Bell Academy because the D2 tournament must be one week earlier than the D1 tournament because the top place winners in the D2 tournament are invited to the National Prep School Tournament.  It is also my understanding that sometime in the near future the TSSAA will not be able to use the Cow Palace and another site will have to be found.  The one and only reason that the tournament is still at the Williamson County Agricultural Center after all of the complaints is because if was FREE.  The TSSAA was not charged anything to use the facility.  

Very much true, it was free, if someone would put a big tent up in a huge field somewhere and put some mats down and told the TSSAA they would pay them to have the tournament there, TSSAA would do it in a heartbeat. They could care less that the penultimate tournament for wrestling be held anywhere as long as they get paid or it’s free. We could just promote the big field and tent as a pro wrastlin event! I just end up going to Georgia to watch their state tourney. 

yes as far as MBA having the state tourney. It was a free venue also and as stated it allows our D2 wrestlers to wrestle National preps which wasn’t really allowed until last few years, it doesn’t really cost TSSAA money to have them move D2 up, especially with it being so few teams. 

2 hours ago, eers said:

Some of you are really bitter… :bored:

Awe, we must have a TSSAA executive on the boards here. Just like them I doubt you actually care about the kids playing sports. Your entire life is prob nothing but greed. I’m not bitter, I have another son coming up that will be in high school. Just like his older brother he will play sports not involved with school and instead are select. At least with those I know what I am getting in bed with and not having to give a dime to TSSAA. Also stopped being a referee for them and just do what tournaments I choose to do or local games when I want, plus I don’t have to deal with their own set of rules. 

5 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

I’d have to go back and check my notes on it all. But we talked to multiple venues that included Murphy center at MTSU and Bridgestone arena. This was done because they said they wanted it centrally located which was one excuse used for moving it from UTC arena even though UTC has a D1 wrestling program and so the exposure for the kids was good. Sadly Nashville doesn’t have a college program. But anyways after being told Thompson Bowling and UTC would never be considered, we did talk to more places in Nashville area. Bridgestone of course would be the crown jewel and of course the price has I’m sure went up and maybe even considerably, it was going to cost like 8500 or 9000 for all three days. They wouldn’t even look into it when I gave them all the information. Pretty much said anything more than a couple of thousand dollars for 3 days they wouldn’t even consider it. Now maybe I could have gotten a super fan like Alan Jones to front the entire rental costs but after not giving us the time of day it was a waste of mine and others time. I had dealt with them before, but they pretty much showed their true colors when that all took place. 

1 hour ago, cobrakid8 said:

Awe, we must have a TSSAA executive on the boards here. Just like them I doubt you actually care about the kids playing sports. Your entire life is prob nothing but greed. I’m not bitter, I have another son coming up that will be in high school. Just like his older brother he will play sports not involved with school and instead are select. At least with those I know what I am getting in bed with and not having to give a dime to TSSAA. Also stopped being a referee for them and just do what tournaments I choose to do or local games when I want, plus I don’t have to deal with their own set of rules. 

I’m certainly not on staff at TSSAA and anyone that knows me knows that I’m not greedy. To say I don’t care about kids is laughable. I promise I do plenty to give back to kids.

All that said, I just think it’s ridiculous that we go through this nonsense multiple times per year, YET no one ever comes up with a viable alternative this is anything other than self serving or idiotic. We never have a solution that’s put forward that is anything other than “T$$AA need to make less” or “T$$AA needs to take less”. Less teams mean 16 teams per class don’t play in the playoffs. I’m not saying there needs to be 32 teams, however I’m not sure how that’s a solution to the perceived fiscal problem people whine about. Perhaps it is watered down a bit in the first road. Perhaps there are a lot of blowouts. It doesn’t mean much to you, but I’m sure there are some kids that are dang happy to play one more game of football. Then there’s the 2005 Livingston academy team that won a state championship after going 5-5 in the regular season.

If you’re going to complain about something, propose a solution, with real scenarios and some kind of fiscal solution. Otherwise it just comes across as whining and childish behavior. Kind of like trying to make personal attacks against someone you know absolutely nothing about. 

• Like 1