West TN football

731Ball

Been hearing the school consolidation rumors again in Weakley County. Greenfield and Sharon kids going to Westview and Gleason / Dresden in one school. They tried this many years ago but only shut down one high school in Palmersville. They eventually shut down Sharon also. This time it would make more sense as Westview has lost many students in the last 5-10 years. Even with consolidation Dresden might be 2A and Westview back to 3A. Doubt doing that would make either school dominant in football. Girls basketball would be greatly improved. 

21 minutes ago, ysoangry said:

Been hearing the school consolidation rumors again in Weakley County. Greenfield and Sharon kids going to Westview and Gleason / Dresden in one school. They tried this many years ago but only shut down one high school in Palmersville. They eventually shut down Sharon also. This time it would make more sense as Westview has lost many students in the last 5-10 years. Even with consolidation Dresden might be 2A and Westview back to 3A. Doubt doing that would make either school dominant in football. Girls basketball would be greatly improved. 

This would eventually save the County alot of money. The County is currently paying for almost 50 more teachers than what the State allows for. I'm sure they would never vote for a 1 County School or for 2 Schools in the County but if everyone wants to keep their own school then let every School go to their own Special School District like some of the other Schools around us. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 12:52 PM, GOCHARGERS said:

This would eventually save the County alot of money. The County is currently paying for almost 50 more teachers than what the State allows for. I'm sure they would never vote for a 1 County School or for 2 Schools in the County but if everyone wants to keep their own school then let every School go to their own Special School District like some of the other Schools around us. 

The ability to create a special school district was blocked by the state until Memphis City merged with Shelby County and the suburbs complained. That's why Bartlett, Collierville, Germantown, Lakeland, Arlington, and Millington have their own schools. I don't know the rules now but I can't imagine the state wanting to create more districts. 

My first job was at Gleason and I'm not sure if there would be enough funding for Gleason to maintain it's own school. 

On 4/11/2023 at 12:19 PM, ysoangry said:

Girls basketball would be “greatly improved?” The senior girls in Weakley County have a combined 7 state tourney appearances, 2 gold balls, an undefeated season that wasn’t finished, and another season in the state semis that wasn’t finished. Tell me how girls basketball would be “greatly improved”? You would have 15 girls being very successful in class 3 or 4a. And 45 girls that would have been successful not playing basketball anymore. 

8 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

The ability to create a special school district was blocked by the state until Memphis City merged with Shelby County and the suburbs complained. That's why Bartlett, Collierville, Germantown, Lakeland, Arlington, and Millington have their own schools. I don't know the rules now but I can't imagine the state wanting to create more districts. 

My first job was at Gleason and I'm not sure if there would be enough funding for Gleason to maintain it's own school. 

You're spot on (as usual) barring minor details. The point being that exceptions were  made due to extraordinary circumstances to allow Shelby County schools the option of creating their own SSD, and that there would most likely have to be a similar scenario for another school to be granted SSD status...very doubtful that such a request would be given a second glance.

On 5/1/2023 at 2:34 PM, GHSSupporter said:

Girls basketball would be “greatly improved?” The senior girls in Weakley County have a combined 7 state tourney appearances, 2 gold balls, an undefeated season that wasn’t finished, and another season in the state semis that wasn’t finished. Tell me how girls basketball would be “greatly improved”? You would have 15 girls being very successful in class 3 or 4a. And 45 girls that would have been successful not playing basketball anymore. 

I'm saying you would have Westview and "Eastview", Dresden even more dominant in girls basketball. Not taking anything away from what Weakley County has accomplished in the past.  Actually, Dresden might win a girls championship with Gleason's help. 

29 minutes ago, ysoangry said:

I'm saying you would have Westview and "Eastview", Dresden even more dominant in girls basketball. Not taking anything away from what Weakley County has accomplished in the past.  Actually, Dresden might win a girls championship with Gleason's help. 

Oh if we’re talking 2 schools that may be even worse. Dresden jumps to 2A with 120 more students. Westview with 150 new could possibly also land in 2A depending on the year. So now they’d be competing against each other, and I sure don’t like Dresden(gleasons) shot vs Westview(greenfield). But either way what you’ve done is taken approximately 60 girls who have shown they compete at their levels and dropped it to 30. So you’ve actually taken opportunities away from capable girls as opposed to making them more successful, which is debatable at best. 

• 1 month later...