Stole Mr. Football

Warrior0318

Not that anyone cares - but Latham averaged over 200 yards a game in most of the games that didn’t feature a running clock.  I would be curious how many yards he could have had in games if we fed him the ball 25-30 times a game.  I’m sure arguments can be made all around - but without Latham there would be no gold ball at West this year.  All were deserving, but only one could win.  Congratulations to Bishop.  

• Like 3

Ill add that Latham barely played in some of his games and was taken out well before halftime. Congrats to Bishop but I think Bishop last year was way better than Bishop this year. Karns overall record and performance against the teams they faced this year compared to last year also proves it.

How did White Co lose with this kid...his stats are amazing.

4 hours ago, YoungBuck said:

People and TSSAA can say that they only use the regular season to chose but I'm not buying it. 60% of the winners' team won the state(1,2,3A) and it really seemed like Latham was passed on so that the 'regular season" aspect of this award could be preserved. Just my take

I can assure you votes are in and counted before playoffs start

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sumcofootball said:

To your first comment.. did you ever see Dowell play? Because this seems to be a whole East Tennessee vs Middle Tennessee matchup of people who think should have won. I have seen both play multiple times and Dowell is better. Karns is in Knox County, it may not be in the city but it is in one of the largest counties in the state. Bishop is one of only a few Knox County players offered by Tennessee and everyone's eyes are on him. Take a trip down to White County.. you'll find a Taco Bell and a McDonald's. The majority of the voters for this award never saw Dowell play or even cared to until he came to Middle TN and rushed for 400 against top Middle TN opponents. 

My comment was to if you saw Desean play, he didn’t steal anything. It’s not disrespect to Dowell or White Co. Just Bishop didn’t steal anything. 

And to say one is better than than the other is a personal opinion.  Accolade awards say otherwise. Best of luck to the young man I’m sure he’ll get his recognition. 

1 hour ago, Jet Pride said:

The lack of media coverage for schools like Sparta hurts. If you polled most media people in Knoxville, Memphis, Johnson City I bet more than half know nothing about Dowell. Except what they see stats wise. 

I wish they would let the media setup the finalists then let the coaches in the state vote on whose the winner. When it gets to that point coaches know best, not the media.

1 minute ago, middletn said:

I wish they would let the media setup the finalists then let the coaches in the state vote on whose the winner. When it gets to that point coaches know best, not the media.

Except that the coaches only see who they are playing on a given Friday night and who they see the next week. 

And no disrespect intended,  but coaches are by and large the least objective group out there. They are always going to be biased towards their guys and those who play for close coaching friends. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HTV said:

Except that the coaches only see who they are playing on a given Friday night and who they see the next week. 

And no disrespect intended,  but coaches are by and large the least objective group out there. They are always going to be biased towards their guys and those who play for close coaching friends. 

There has to be some better way for the voting though, however I don’t know what that would be. Bishop has the offers and a historic career, yet Dowell had one of the top three single season rushing yards in Tennessee history. Both were well deserving. Seems like they voted Bishop for his career instead of the year. I feel that if Dowell was playing in a bigger market like Middle TN then he would’ve had more votes, which sucks for the kid.

15 hours ago, eyeinthesky said:

Bishop didn't need to carry the ball as much this year as he did in 2021.  Karns had a good QB that threw for 1264 yards and and 17 TD's.   Desean didn't have to be the work horse for the offense like he did in 2021.  He still average 214.5 yards and 3 TD's a game this season. 

It sucks that both were not able to get the award.  Both are very deserving and were the MVP's of their teams.

Would have loved seeing Laytham’s numbers had he played 4 quarters of all 10 games of the regular season. Hard to allow when you are up 50 in the first quarter. 

Congrats to Mar Mar…. Dude was electric all year long!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, YoungBuck said:

People and TSSAA can say that they only use the regular season to chose but I'm not buying it. 60% of the winners' team won the state(1,2,3A) and it really seemed like Latham was passed on so that the 'regular season" aspect of this award could be preserved. Just my take

Yes.  the vast coordinated conspiracy was succesfuly executed.  WTH are you talking about?  A bunch of reporters vote.  They're all biased, and most of the have only seen their little world.  No one cares enough about it to conspire or cheat.  Every year there are winners you could argue, and no one cares.  Get over it. They're all good players.  No one stole anything.

• Like 1