Harriman football

Frontman

Situations and Coaches like this are the norm in way too many communities.  The Coach ought to put every effort into giving each student athlete the best chance to succeed.  Seems like Coach Tapp might just be in this for himself.  I think the opposite of some of the posters on this thread.  I think harriman, if coached and approached correctly, should be the 2nd best football team in roane county.

12 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I know here while back there was some rumbles about putting all those schools together in Roane County but haven't heard anything lately. Is that still a possibility , hope not but hopefully someone on here may be able to shed some light on this subject and what's going on regarding this.

Roane county has currently abandoned the idea of consolidating all their high schools. 

1 hour ago, Jet Pride said:

They are wanting to put Rockwood & Harriman together near Roane. State- Roane County Park area now

If that happened they would be on the border line of 3A and 4A. Both schools are very old and dated. Just hope they don't put the whole county as one. It looks like Midway and Kingston would be around 900 and be in 4A for sure.

On 1/15/2023 at 8:43 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

If that happened they would be on the border line of 3A and 4A. Both schools are very old and dated. Just hope they don't put the whole county as one. It looks like Midway and Kingston would be around 900 and be in 4A for sure.

The New school would be same size close to Kingston. Plan for Kingston is to rebuild on the current location. But biggest thing is getting county commissioners to support it and I don't see it right now. Only way I can see anything happening is like what happened at Monterey it's going take the state fire marshall coming in closing schools and forcing the commissioners to do something 

On 1/10/2023 at 11:34 PM, RichyRich said:

I do the same thing barn,  I don't usually share my age but I am in my mid 20s and do that alot and appreciate old towns history. I've always wanted more info on why Harriman had two High schools until mid 60s south and the city school. I am from Athens currently live in Cleveland so I've always taken an interest in the Old local schools which I was had more on ducktown high school and copperhill before their consolidation. I believe my dad's mother went to vonore or Lanier. So I've always been a sucker for older schools. Curious about homestead and old Crossville red devils too

Thats really cool that youre interested in the old local schools. I know a lot about the Harriman two High School situation. In the late 50s, the city and the county school systems were integrated and the two high schools were combined into one. The reason it lasted until the mid 60s was because the city school board was slow to accept the integration, so the two schools remained separate until the late 60s. As for the other schools you mentioned, I know a bit about them. Ducktown High School and Copperhill High School were both part of the Polk County School System and eventually consolidated into the Copper Basin High School in the late 60s. Vonore and Lanier High Schools were part of the Monroe County School System and eventually consolidated into Sweetwater High School in the early 70s. Homestead High School was part of the Loudon County School System and eventually consolidated into Lenoir City High School in the early 80s. Finally, the Old Crossville Red Devils were part of the Cumberland County School System and eventually consolidated into Stone Memorial High School in the mid 80s.

9 hours ago, Jet Pride said:

The New school would be same size close to Kingston. Plan for Kingston is to rebuild on the current location. But biggest thing is getting county commissioners to support it and I don't see it right now. Only way I can see anything happening is like what happened at Monterey it's going take the state fire marshall coming in closing schools and forcing the commissioners to do something 

Jet Pride I haven't ever seen Midway but I have Kingston High and the place looks something the Co-op would store Hey and straw bales for cattle not educating children. It sets on beautiful lake view property.

9 hours ago, jaxx said:

Thats really cool that youre interested in the old local schools. I know a lot about the Harriman two High School situation. In the late 50s, the city and the county school systems were integrated and the two high schools were combined into one. The reason it lasted until the mid 60s was because the city school board was slow to accept the integration, so the two schools remained separate until the late 60s. As for the other schools you mentioned, I know a bit about them. Ducktown High School and Copperhill High School were both part of the Polk County School System and eventually consolidated into the Copper Basin High School in the late 60s. Vonore and Lanier High Schools were part of the Monroe County School System and eventually consolidated into Sweetwater High School in the early 70s. Homestead High School was part of the Loudon County School System and eventually consolidated into Lenoir City High School in the early 80s. Finally, the Old Crossville Red Devils were part of the Cumberland County School System and eventually consolidated into Stone Memorial High School in the mid 80s.

Crossville Red Devils, Pleasant Hill High school & Homestead was consolidated into Cumberland County high School in 1962. Stone Memorial didn't open until 2006

9 hours ago, jaxx said:

I might be wrong, but I think Vonore High School combined with Madisonville High School to form Sequoyah High School. Also in the late 70's, Lanier High School and Friendsville High School combined to form William Blount HIgh School in Blount County. Three years earlier, Porter High School, Walland High School, Townsend High School, and  Everett High School formed Heritage High School in the mid 70's. I also think some of the Everett students eventually made their way to William Blount later. 

• Upvote 1