Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett Indians

DBGRAD70

4 minutes ago, Pioneers1982 said:

That’s crazy man. Hate it for you and the state tournament 

Ah... as I said earlier... one mistake is forgivable.  Second is not.  Definitely needs to be dismissed from the team, in my opinion.

Old saying applies... "Fool me once, shame on me.  Fool me twice, shame on you."

And as @lumberjackmak said above... no rule stating that he still can't play, so maybe he will... it will be a very unpopular and unethical decision across the state outside of Kingsport if he does.  But guess we'll just have to wait and see come Wednesday.  They've got other kids who can step up and fill that role.  McHugh has really come on in the postseason.  Hayworth is a star in the making as well I believe.

11 minutes ago, TribalEmpire said:

Ah... as I said earlier... one mistake is forgivable.  Second is not.  Definitely needs to be dismissed from the team, in my opinion.

Old saying applies... "Fool me once, shame on me.  Fool me twice, shame on you."

And as @lumberjackmak said above... no rule stating that he still can't play, so maybe he will... it will be a very unpopular and unethical decision across the state outside of Kingsport if he does.  But guess we'll just have to wait and see come Wednesday.  They've got other kids who can step up and fill that role.  McHugh has really come on in the postseason.  Hayworth is a star in the making as well I believe.

Yeah, he might not get kicked off for the fact that he was not actually driving. According to the article he was sitting in the car with his keys on him. 

Still stupid and still underage drinking 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TribalEmpire said:

I think most people in Kingsport would consider it unethical as well. So there are no team rules? I don’t believe he will play. Here’s your Pandora box. It’s ok to get publicly drunk, DUI, police involved, failed breathlizer, be arrested , go to jail and get out on bond. But we will sit a player, for cutting practice, not going hard or back talking a coach. You can never punish an athlete and get away with it again.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TribalEmpire said:

Nah Poore is a better Man he won’t play him probably won’t even travel.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

I think most people in Kingsport would consider it unethical as well. So there are no team rules? I don’t believe he will play. Here’s your Pandora box. It’s ok to get publicly drunk, DUI, police involved, failed breathlizer, be arrested , go to jail and get out on bond. But we will sit a player, for cutting practice, not going hard or back talking a coach. You can never punish an athlete and get away with it again.

You and me both know Poore to well and don't see Gillespie being on the team anymore.  Chris will do anything for his players but won't turn a blind eye to DUI.  Now I can see Poore trying to get Gillespie some help along with his entire family doing the same, he still has a long and productive life ahead of him to let this be his defining moment.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Swipes said:

You and me both know Poore to well and don't see Gillespie being on the team anymore.  Chris will do anything for his players but won't turn a blind eye to DUI.  Now I can see Poore trying to get Gillespie some help along with his entire family doing the same, he still has a long and productive life ahead of him to let this be his defining moment.

Agree

3 hours ago, TribalEmpire said:

Times News!!!  What happened was wrong with Gillespie.  But why do they single him out and put in the paper!  DUI's happen everyday and they are not in there.  Because he is a real good player for DB, let's put it on the website for more hits to sell more ads.  The media has gotten out of control.  They can print whatever they want and destroy who they want.  A lot of what is reported, after investigating turns out false.  But we never see anything retracted.  They need to be held accountable.  As Trump said FAKE NEWS, enemy of the people. 

15 minutes ago, thehill23 said:

Times News!!!  What happened was wrong with Gillespie.  But why do they single him out and put in the paper!  DUI's happen everyday and they are not in there.  Because he is a real good player for DB, let's put it on the website for more hits to sell more ads.  The media has gotten out of control.  They can print whatever they want and destroy who they want.  A lot of what is reported, after investigating turns out false.  But we never see anything retracted.  They need to be held accountable.  As Trump said FAKE NEWS, enemy of the people. 

Athletes, especially good ones will have more stuff reported on them if they do something wrong or if they do something good. (happens all the time in every level of sports as long as they are 18 and not a minor thats good or bad news too, it comes with the territory and why athletes are held to a higher standard because kids/people look up to them).  I don't believe they are trying to destroy Gillespie and don't think they wrote anything that wasn't true. (if it comes out they did then i would have heads rolling at Times News). They are also not the only paper that has reported this (https://tricitiessports.com/tribe-facing-more-adversity-heading-into-state-tournament-p112755-1.htm).  They didn't name what it was but stated 

"Reports surfaced on Sunday that returning all-state tournament performer Jonavan Gillespie was involved in an incident Saturday night in Sullivan County and might be unavailable for the trip.

Neither Dobyns-Bennett or Kingsport City School officials issued a comment or confirmed the report when contacted by TriCitiesSports.com."

This is a huge tough life learning lesson for Gillespie, my hope is that he gets the proper help he needs because he comes from good people and nobody wants to see him fail in life.

So, he wasn't actually driving and wasn't actually pulled over. Was parked at a residence. You would have to assume he had been driving or was going to drive. I'm guessing the car was parked on the street and not in a driveway. There couldn't be an arrest if he was parked in a driveway. I think the law used to be that the keys had to be in the ignition, But that was before push button start was a thing. I'm sure the law has been changed. The way I see it this is the very low end of a DUI charge. I wouldn't bet on it but he might beat it in court. Not going to help him right now though. 

Yeah.  Read articles about it.  It seems his car was parked at a residence.  He was drinking underage, but if you kicked players off for that, I guarantee a lot of teams would lose a lot of players.  He was sitting there, wasn't going to drive.  The keys were in his pockets, not in the ignition.  It was a push button.  I just feel the cop was looking for a problem.  I can't fault the coach if he plays or if he doesn't.