Best OC in East Tennessee

12 hours ago, JustASportsFan said:

Who is the best offensive coordinator in East Tennessee 

It’s a little more complicated than that. For some, OC is a title and the head coach calls the play or is very clear to what will be called. Other OCs do call the plays. At some of your schools, a very good O line coach will have a great deal of input.

In North East TN, I’m not quite sure of the role of the OC at these 2 schools, but Greeneville has had a great offense for the last 15 years and Betsy for the last 5 or 6 years.

Go to Knoxville, it’s Maryville, Alcoa and Anderson Co. consistently for awhile. 

The argument could also be made for all the above programs, they are systems, great athletes or a combination of the 2.

I have left out a few programs which have put up a lot of points, but my perspective are the programs who consistently put up points year in and out against all levels of competition.

Edited by noonesfool
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, sumcofootball said:

I haven't been in East Tennessee in a few years, but I always enjoyed watching the old Knox West OC's offense and learning from him. Can't remember his name we just always called him biscuit. I believe he left for Cleveland from West a few years ago.

:roflol::roflolk:

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MurphyCollege said:

How hot is that seat?

I think he'll get three years. He did great at Maryville where most of the kids came from good families and was much easier to displine. A good chunk of kids you have to recruit to win there at ETSU are raised by the wolves which he did get a sample of his last few years at Maryville from a QB and 2 RB's who made the TV News and the local papers. Other than those three the kitchen was pretty clean.

• Upvote 1

Without a doubt it's AC Coordinator. They have always been number #1 at protection for QB. They led Walker AC QB to 16 in Nation passing #1in state. Not sure how good OC has to be if that's not good. They do it year after year. Big shout-out to Russ Gillum and his staff. Brothers Russ and Davey work great as a team. But they have the best staff in the state. So of course AC has best OC and staff in state not just east Tennessee 

Well you have to take into consideration I am biased since this is family haha. Should say correctly IMO to be politically correct. Haha :)

Edited by Mavericksinflight
  • Sad 1

Years ago I had a bad cold and sat in the press box next to our OC on a cold night instead of my usual place on the sidelines. I was surprised to see that he allowed the QB coach to call almost all of the plays on the sidelines, only occasionally offering guidance over the headsets. I do remember him saying late in the 3rd quarter “If you’re going to run that fake punt you’d better call it now.” It went for a TD. 

• Upvote 2