Boyd vs CPA

Guest bucsfootball

Congradulations to the CPA players and coaching staff, you played an incredible game and truly earned our respect as boyd fans. One great thing that i noticed about this game as opposed to our other games along the way was that the cheering from both sides was for their own teams, and not to put down their opponent. This was the greatest high school football game i've ever seen, and i feel privilaged to have been there.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an incredible game. Congrats to CPA.

Bucs you should be extremely proud of your accomplishments this year. Thanks for all of your hard work. It has been a pleasure to watch. Keep up the good work and I look forward to watching you next year. (Yes, I will still come to watch you play) GO BUCS.

Seniors: You have done more than any other group at Boyd has ever done and you have paved the way for what will be a great football tradition at BBS. I hope that each of you stay involved with the school as you move on in your lives.

All of you will learn a very important lesson from that game on Friday that will stay with you for the rest of your lives. No matter how hard you try some things just don't fall your way. KEEP YOUR HEAD HIGH.

Thanks to Coach Akins for where we are today as a program.

great thoughts UNCLEBUC...

I am very proud of the Buccaneers. I really felt for them Friday night b/c I know how much they have poured into and given up for their team. Yes, Will is human, but his heart is as big as they come!

I hope the senior players enjoy their trip to Disney. I will give each of them a hug and high five when they get back... :)

I have been to and/or broadcast most of the State Championship football games since 1990 and I can honestly say that this was one of the top two or three most exciting games I have seen. Both teams made mistakes but both teams also displayed championship-caliber heart and character. Congratulations and thanks to these two teams for a great game.

JaxMan,

I am personally disappointed in the outcome but CPA deserved to win. They overcame tremendous obstacles this year and showed great mettle. BBS came up just a little short, but they left an indelible mark of excellence for future teams to follow. The nine seniors they lose will be sorely missed and long remembered.

To timmy, Csense and other "haters,"

Your ridiculous and insensitive comments about "chokers" and "winning the game three times" reveal more about your character than the game. How anyone can say that coaches and players that reach this level of excellence are "chokers" is beyond me. As far as the two official's calls in question (non-fumble call and pass intereference) I will say this -- in both cases the officials were in great position and made decisive calls. They may have made mistakes in judgment, but their effort, mechanics, etc., were great. CPA overcame both calls or mistakes (whichever they were) and won the game anyway.

Congratulations to CPA, the 2002 Class A State Football Champions in Tennessee. Thanks to BBS for a great season and a great championship game!

Boyd did choke. They got a bad call though also. I was sitting on the 20 yard line when they came up short on that first down. They were not short. They made it by a good foot or more. They would have been better off to have gone for 2 and ended it when they scored that last time. Given that they had 8 chances to go 10 yds. Really 4 to go 10 and 4 to go five. Instead of all that scrambling that Healy did for 8 plays they should have run Nelson right down their throat if they had they would be the champs now, because I think that was their last chance for a long time now. I think that their coach choked not the team.

stevie, before I commented on the calls I consulted a couple of friends who happened to have watched the same game as I did and was fortunate enough to see the replays several times. They both agreed that the calls were terrible. One of the reasons they were so bad was because, like you say, the refs had good position to make the right call but chose not too. It made me wonder. If they were not in position I would have said oh well that is the way it goes, but the officials have no excuse on those two calls. About CPA winning three times - that is exactly what they did. The game should have been over if the right call was made on the interference and fumble.

Oh, my bad! Since you consulted your friends, you must be right. I'm sure you are not looking through orange and black colored glasses at all.

My point was simply that whether the calls were right or wrong in judgment, the officials in question (from Memphis)were in the correct position and made decisive calls. You seem to be implying not only incompetence but perhaps even hanky-panky.

I repeat that your ridiculous and insensitive comments reveal more about your character than anything else.

What a great championship game and season for both teams!

Try blue and white stevie. Red Bank fans not South Pittsburg. I think I struck a nerve with you because you know it is true. Watch the film and if you could look without bias you would come to the same conclusion, by the way I'm not from SP either. I live closer to Boyd than SP.

timmy50,

I am a big CPA fan and I can guarantee you that there is not one person in our school that would categorize the Boyd loss as "Choking". Making it to the state final is a huge achievement, bringing the game into overtime after being 17-0 down shows me they have character. If you saw the expression on the players faces after it was all over, you know they had wanted to win real bad and I'm sure they feel the pain of loss very accutely for themeselves. I see no need whatsover to rub salt into the wounds of kids who gave it their all.

Posted by timmy50:

Boyd choked...Bottom line. They cant win the big game. I guess they will still have to ask South Pitt what a gold ball and ring looks like.