Knoxville area football coaches thoughts on transfers

Elias287

5 hours ago, Elias287 said:

Ok then that’s suspicious if they are getting paid by someone without getting anything in return, but as far as my knowledge goes nobody has gotten money.

If someone is getting paid, they shouldnt' have to disclose it to you.  heck even the former president didn't release his tax returns.

30 minutes ago, ILB1999 said:

"...It (Football) gets beat up in the media a little bit through concussions and so forth..."

sounds like he thinks the media is blowing concussions out of proportion...

Again.   Just an opinion.  But he wasn’t sayin to play with concussions.   That is a true statement.   Football does get a bad rap sometimes because of concussions 

7 minutes ago, Ffball9999 said:

Again.   Just an opinion.  But he wasn’t sayin to play with concussions.   That is a true statement.   Football does get a bad rap sometimes because of concussions 

I think he was.  But you're pretty obviously a JJ apologist, so interpret it how you like.  It's just, his own words say otherwise.

2 hours ago, ILB1999 said:

I think he was.  But you're pretty obviously a JJ apologist, so interpret it how you like.  It's just, his own words say otherwise.

I’ve never understood why people like try to turn everything into an argument and throws accusations and insults. For the record you have no clue.  And I’m not really Much of a JJ fan at all. His comments were true.   Football gets a bad rap because of injuries etc, he was saying anything we can do to allow and get kids to keep playing this great game is a good thing. I’ve got very mixed feeling on the transfer portal of HS football, but trying to get more kids playing is a good thing.  He in no way meant kids should play with injuries. It’s obvious that you do not like Jj and are looking to bash 

On 7/17/2023 at 7:01 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

I don't mind athletes transferring if they fit a certain academic requirements for them to transfer (something like 3.5 GPA or higher) just for upcoming seniors. Other than that, it needs to stay in place, but schools will continue to find loop holes, and the TSSAA doesn't seem to care, so why bother?

I will say there's one player that reportedly transferred up to those Knoxville schools. It'll be his 3rd time as a transfer and didn't play/couldn't play at the previous two schools. But hey, entitlement is a powerful word my friend.

I understand the TSSAA does not check addresses any more as far as living in the school zone of the school they are playing for.  Is this true?? I hope that the transfer craze doesn't reach the volume and craziness of the NCAA Transfer Portal, which is way out of whack. 

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

I understand the TSSAA does not check addresses any more as far as living in the school zone of the school they are playing for.  Is this true?? I hope that the transfer craze doesn't reach the volume and craziness of the NCAA Transfer Portal, which is way out of whack. 

Not every student, but if there is a complaint filed, they do check it out to verify what the complaint says is true, or not true, whichever ends up being the case.  

It would be impossible for the TSSAA to check the residency of every student to plays sports in Tennessee.  Just not enough manpower.  That's a responsibility of the local school districts when they determine if a student lives or receives a transfer to their system.  

Edited by HTV
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 8:21 AM, ILB1999 said:

this is the smart approach.  A coach's opinion on transfer depends on their most recent interaction with it.  Webb coach is against it now, but didn't mind when Shavar came to webb in the first place.  Was it last year that Farragut's starting QB was a first year transfer?  

Josh Jones saying no one should sit out and badmouthing concussion protocol is the worst take on here. Not sure what kind of parent would want their kid to transfer to a team led like that.  Craziness.

The BHS administration and BHS football booster club sold their soul in the hiring Coach Jones. Hang on for more shocking news ad the season goes by. 

• Sad 1

On 7/18/2023 at 3:24 PM, HTV said:

Everybody loves transfers when they come their way.  

There isn't a school in Knox County, nor the entire area, that hasn't benefitted from transfer students who happened to be good athletes, too.  

Agreed HTV.  Lots of respect for Coach Courtney.  Would never question his integrity.  He says, "I don't like it."  And I know he's talking about coaches/players doing 'under-handed stuff'.  But I bet he "did like" having William Blount's best player transfer in to his team for his senior season last year.