Cleveland at Clinton Week 1

fooseball95

Could be one of the more interesting games week 1. Cleveland and Clinton have a little history but not much. I was a member of the Cleveland championship teams in 1993-1995 and remember cleveland moved to the Knoxville region for 2 years.  In 1993 we won 56-22 and again in 1994 18-15 on a tough one. In 2014 Clinton came to cleveland in the playoffs and lost in another tough game 10-7. Fast forward to 2023, cleveland has a whole new staff and HC. A lot of talent as always. Tygard will run an offense like Tennessee in a hurry up offense where he wants to run 100 plays a game. I hear Clinton could possibly make a run this year with some additions they and a lot of talent. I don’t know much about clinton anymore since we haven’t played in a while. Having said all of that I’ll give Clinton the edge being and home and Cleveland starting completely over and learning a new offense under a new coach. What are your thoughts?

50 minutes ago, fooseball95 said:

Could be one of the more interesting games week 1. Cleveland and Clinton have a little history but not much. I was a member of the Cleveland championship teams in 1993-1995 and remember cleveland moved to the Knoxville region for 2 years.  In 1993 we won 56-22 and again in 1994 18-15 on a tough one. In 2014 Clinton came to cleveland in the playoffs and lost in another tough game 10-7. Fast forward to 2023, cleveland has a whole new staff and HC. A lot of talent as always. Tygard will run an offense like Tennessee in a hurry up offense where he wants to run 100 plays a game. I hear Clinton could possibly make a run this year with some additions they and a lot of talent. I don’t know much about clinton anymore since we haven’t played in a while. Having said all of that I’ll give Clinton the edge being and home and Cleveland starting completely over and learning a new offense under a new coach. What are your thoughts?

Clinton finished 5-5 last season, but 4 out of their 5 losses were by a touchdown or less. 

Clinton returns several skill players and some good size up front.  My only concern early on is the defense.  Clinton got some transfers in the off-season and have moved some people around on defense.  If Clinton's defense improves from last year, I really like their chances.

I don't know anything about this years Cleveland team. I know they beat Maryville last year and that's not easy to do.  

I'm going with Clinton 28  Cleveland 24

27 minutes ago, 92Dragon said:

Clinton finished 5-5 last season, but 4 out of their 5 losses were by a touchdown or less. 

Clinton returns several skill players and some good size up front.  My only concern early on is the defense.  Clinton got some transfers in the off-season and have moved some people around on defense.  If Clinton's defense improves from last year, I really like their chances.

I don't know anything about this years Cleveland team. I know they beat Maryville last year and that's not easy to do.  

I'm going with Clinton 28  Cleveland 24

Clinton better have a good secondary because Cleveland will throw it all over the place and they'll be uptempo doing it

12 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Clinton better have a good secondary because Cleveland will throw it all over the place and they'll be uptempo doing it

Who does Cleveland scrimmage next week? 

1 hour ago, fooseball95 said:

Who does Cleveland scrimmage? 

2 hours ago, fooseball95 said:

..... Tygard will run an offense like Tennessee in a hurry up offense where he wants to run 100 plays a game......

I have rarely seen a HS team that could successfully run the hurry-up game after game.      Not to say Tygard will not pull it off, it's just that the timing must be so precise on every play, the conditioning must be top-notch, and we are talking about 16-17 year old kids

40 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

From what I've heard, Clinton better be ready for uptempo, onside kicks, and Cleveland going for it on 4th down a lot also.

11 minutes ago, 92Dragon said:

From what I've heard, Clinton better be ready for uptempo, onside kicks, and Cleveland going for it on 4th down a lot also.

That sounds about right. Personally feel he needs to get rid of the onside kicks, but if you can steal 1-2 possessions a game it might be worth it. I just hate the stress UT puts on your own defense 

3 hours ago, fooseball95 said:

Was 43-6 at the half in ‘93, if memory serves, at Clinton.

3 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

That sounds about right. Personally feel he needs to get rid of the onside kicks, but if you can steal 1-2 possessions a game it might be worth it. I just hate the stress UT puts on your own defense 

i didnt know tygard was known for that.  pulaski academy really thought that was going to work against lipscomb 2 years ago and they thought wrong.  I just dont understand doing it ALL the time no matter what.  they were handing the ball over deep in LA territory going for it on 4th and long.  

2 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

i didnt know tygard was known for that.  pulaski academy really thought that was going to work against lipscomb 2 years ago and they thought wrong.  I just dont understand doing it ALL the time no matter what.  they were handing the ball over deep in LA territory going for it on 4th and long.  

When he was hired at Blackman,  pretty sure he name dropped Pulaski. First year at Blackman I understood it but felt like last year it hurt more than helped against legit good teams. I'll eat my words if he wins a title that way, but I don't think you can, not in the higher classes