AC Mavs @ Powell Panthers WK1

I'm not connected to the Powell program like I've been in years past, so I don't have much of an insider's perspective. Powell's offense will look quite a bit different with Potts and those WRs gone. That said, they have a veteran offensive line, their new QB is a load, and he will bring a very different dynamic to the offense. I think the running game will be a much bigger factor for the Panthers this season between #2 and #13.

Defensively, the Panthers are a veteran group. Foust was their biggest loss, but I believe they return 8 or 9 guys who started from a season ago (led by Soles at DE). They've been a bit undersized in the front 7 the past few seasons (outside of Walter Nolen), and they have struggled to slow down teams that can run the football effectively between the tackles (e.g., West).

I don't expect Powell to win this game, especially with the question marks in the passing game, but you never know. Both of these teams are accustomed to winning, and given the recent history between these two programs, I wouldn't be shocked to see it come down to the final possession.

I do not know much about AC; however, being around the Powell program, I do think they are playing more as a team than in years past.  It seems more about the team and less about individuals wanting to make it on the Twitter (X) feed.  They definitely lost several key pieces, but many guys have stepped up.  I definitely think they will surprise some people this year.  i do know though that AC has an awesome program with some great talent. It should be a fun game to watch. 

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m going with Powell. AC does have weapons, but Powell may have the best DL in the state in ANY classification. Soles and Co. are going to give AC fits, especially since one of ACs OL from last year is now playing at Powell. I don’t see as much of a shootout this season,  I’m going Powell-24 AC-21

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chsbobcat09 said:

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m going with Powell. AC does have weapons, but Powell may have the best DL in the state in ANY classification. Soles and Co. are going to give AC fits, especially since one of ACs OL from last year is now playing at Powell. I don’t see as much of a shootout this season,  I’m going Powell-24 AC-21

How’s the Bobcats looking this season?

51 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

How’s the Bobcats looking this season?

Not as connected up there as I once was, but from what I saw Jamboree wise the offense is looking better. Put together a good drive and mixed it up vs Farragut. Defense looks like the big question mark, not the threat as it used to be.

A tough game to pick, both teams lost some key players from last season. AC picked up a QB and receiver in the transfer portal, both are supposed to be pretty good and I heard their lines looked good against DB in a scrimmage. Powell lost a really good quarterback and receiver and its going to be interested who they picked up to replace them. Powells lines are virtually intact from last season, and that's a big plus for them.  Much as I would like AC to win, I will go with Pal in a close one at home. 28-21.