No shot clock

Indian

The results of the survey taken by schools that utilized the shot clock at summer camp in basketball were provided to the Board. The Board voted to not implement a shot clock in basketball and that it would not entertain further discussion on the subject for at least the next three years.

Its a shame that media outlets and certain sports editors have such influence with the TSSAA and can voice any displeasure they have with negative thoughts about the issue and they seem to be the only voice of reason.  Having a shot clock in basketball is no different than using play clocks in football.  Such a step back for the game and kids.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, basketballguru4222 said:

Its a shame that media outlets and certain sports editors have such influence with the TSSAA and can voice any displeasure they have with negative thoughts about the issue and they seem to be the only voice of reason.  Having a shot clock in basketball is no different than using play clocks in football.  Such a step back for the game and kids.

A basketball shot clock is very different than a football play clock. A play clock in football is 100% necessary because the game clock runs but the ball isn't live so the team on defense can not do anything to force the team on offense to snap the ball. Totally the opposite of basketball where the game clocks runs and the ball is live so the team on defense can force action out of the offense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, basketballguru4222 said:

Every sports media person I know was in favor of it.  Regarding the shot clock in Football and Basketball, it's not anywhere near comparable.  It's not a step back at all.  We've been doing it for like forever.  I also don't think it has to do with the game itself but the logistics of it.  Liberty Creek in Gallatin already has one set up in it's gym because they were given bazillions of dollars by the school system, but not every school would be able to do this as easily.  

I would like a shot clock after seeing it in some states and in college. The biggest and maybe only drawback is the expense of installing it in a gym on both ends and then having someone competent enough to control it accurately. It can't just be some parent or fan who 'thinks' they know how to do it. There's rules and situations that you must know about when to reset it or reset it to a certain number of seconds. Also, it will be an added chore for the officials to watch so they must understand the different scenarios involved in this. It will have a learning curve but one that is certainly worth the effort it takes. 

9 hours ago, baconbreath said:

I would like a shot clock after seeing it in some states and in college. The biggest and maybe only drawback is the expense of installing it in a gym on both ends and then having someone competent enough to control it accurately. It can't just be some parent or fan who 'thinks' they know how to do it. There's rules and situations that you must know about when to reset it or reset it to a certain number of seconds. Also, it will be an added chore for the officials to watch so they must understand the different scenarios involved in this. It will have a learning curve but one that is certainly worth the effort it takes. 

The expense of doing it and added responsibility is the reason they won't do it. Getting officials period has been a challenge and I would imagine this is just added responsibility they don't want. JMO. 

13 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

The expense of doing it and added responsibility is the reason they won't do it. Getting officials period has been a challenge and I would imagine this is just added responsibility they don't want. JMO. 

Well it wouldn't be an official doing it anyway.  Officials don't keep the game clock either.  

At the BCAT Girls Hoopfest in Lebanon we taught 20+ players how to properly run the shot clock in about 15 minutes. We had less than a handful of issues over the course of 3 days and around 100 games. As far as instalation and cost as the article stated was around $6000. I would think the BCAT and/or TSSAA could negotiate a deal with a company to provide the whole state with shot clocks at a reduced cost.  Rather than not discuss it for 3 years give schools a 3 year phase in process to absorb the cost over a period of time. This would also be split at almost all schools by the boys and girls basketball programs instead of one program like footall. I also think some school systems could/would add it within their budget if they knew when it would be implemented. That would be a drop in the bucket for most school systems. In my opinion the shortage of officials has no bearing on whether shot clocks should be implemented or not. Some may hang up the whistle for that reason, but officials get out of it or move up to the collegiate/professional ranks for various reasons and the shot clock shouldnt be singled out as the reason officials would leave the profession. It may also entice others to actually join an association in their area if they see that it aligns along the same lines as they games they watch on television. The game continues to evolve and the shot clock has benefits for all levels of skill, athleticsm, player IQ, and coaching strategy.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 8:54 AM, DevilettesCoach said:

At the BCAT Girls Hoopfest in Lebanon we taught 20+ players how to properly run the shot clock in about 15 minutes. We had less than a handful of issues over the course of 3 days and around 100 games. As far as instalation and cost as the article stated was around $6000. I would think the BCAT and/or TSSAA could negotiate a deal with a company to provide the whole state with shot clocks at a reduced cost.  Rather than not discuss it for 3 years give schools a 3 year phase in process to absorb the cost over a period of time. This would also be split at almost all schools by the boys and girls basketball programs instead of one program like footall. I also think some school systems could/would add it within their budget if they knew when it would be implemented. That would be a drop in the bucket for most school systems. In my opinion the shortage of officials has no bearing on whether shot clocks should be implemented or not. Some may hang up the whistle for that reason, but officials get out of it or move up to the collegiate/professional ranks for various reasons and the shot clock shouldnt be singled out as the reason officials would leave the profession. It may also entice others to actually join an association in their area if they see that it aligns along the same lines as they games they watch on television. The game continues to evolve and the shot clock has benefits for all levels of skill, athleticsm, player IQ, and coaching strategy.

Cost cannot be used as an excuse... between the system and the programs it could be done easy. Operating the clock is just a matter of making it happen. I think the Biggest concern would be adding something else for an aging officiating pool that become overwhelmed often with no shot clock.  Nobody's fault, just where the game is right now. Almost every game I go to in West TN the officials are doing the best they can to keep up but at least one, sometimes two and occasionally the entire crew just can't keep up and get to the right spots.  Adding a shot clock could result in a smaller pool. the game needs younger people to get into the officiating pool!

Initial cost isn't what I would worry about.  Like previously posted, TSSAA could help offset this by getting with a company to provide a "group rate". School systems will find a way to get it done with the upfront cost, if given enough time to work it in the budget.

The cost I worry about is the ongoing cost of running it. A lot of programs have to pay someone to entice them run the scoreboard and keep the book, so that's an added cost. Not every program is blessed with a plethora of people that volunteer for every game. I talked with an official this summer and he said that a lot of guys he officiates with say its just another thing they will have to keep up with during the game so they will want more money that what they are already getting. Now that officials get mileage for calling a game outside of their home county, some of ours are getting $1115-$120 a game. When you are a small program, cutting $500 worth of checks every night before the first fan walks in can be strenuous.

As far as having a qualified/knowledgeable person to run the clock in games, it's not as hard to keep it, or as easy to keep it as both sides of the argument make it out to be. My fear is that there will be enough issues that the TSSAA will eventually require a 4th official who just runs the shot clock. Then you're talking about even more $$.