Greeneville livestream policy?

B-Ball Fan

Not sure if it’s been discussed or not(hopefully, I haven’t  posted about it before), but why doesn’t Greeneville allow other broadcasters to live stream their football games?  

The exception to this is the FRIDAY NIGHT RIVALS, broadcast from WCYB or WVLT.  I know that Dobyns-Bennett makes their games(home & away) available on you tube. Also, Tom Taylor will livestream the Elizabethton games. 
Both have been unable to livestream from GHS, and both have mentioned that GHS wouldn’t allow it. 
This is great for the fans that can’t make the trip, or older fans that can’t get around, or for inclement weather situations.

I honestly can’t think of a good reason for them to stop this. It seems petty, or extremely arrogant, or both. I can’t think that it’s due to a loss of gate revenue, because the Elizabethton and DB Hanes are packed anyway.  Does WGRV have enough say in the matter to be the roadblock? 

Is anyone on here aware of the reason from a reliable source?

1 hour ago, B-Ball Fan said:

Not sure if it’s been discussed or not(hopefully, I haven’t  posted about it before), but why doesn’t Greeneville allow other broadcasters to live stream their football games?  

The exception to this is the FRIDAY NIGHT RIVALS, broadcast from WCYB or WVLT.  I know that Dobyns-Bennett makes their games(home & away) available on you tube. Also, Tom Taylor will livestream the Elizabethton games. 
Both have been unable to livestream from GHS, and both have mentioned that GHS wouldn’t allow it. 
This is great for the fans that can’t make the trip, or older fans that can’t get around, or for inclement weather situations.

I honestly can’t think of a good reason for them to stop this. It seems petty, or extremely arrogant, or both. I can’t think that it’s due to a loss of gate revenue, because the Elizabethton and DB Hanes are packed anyway.  Does WGRV have enough say in the matter to be the roadblock? 

Sounds exactly what Dyersburg did to Peabody last year when they would not allow them to broadcast live. What Dyersburg did was bush league and if Greenville doesnt allow it ,that is bush league as well. If GHS blocked my broadcasters from doing their job, I sure would not let the broadcasters for GHS radio or video in my house the next year. JMO

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

If GHS blocked my broadcasters from doing their job, I sure would not let the broadcasters for GHS radio or video in my house the next year. JMO

13 minutes ago, RodgerDodger32 said:

They want people to come spend money at the gate. Been like that as long as streaming was a thing. 

Reitzfan, I don’t think they’d ever do that since radio broadcasters are allowed from Kingsport and Elizabethton. 

Rodgerdodger,  you could be right, but it makes no sense. Both of those games will be standing room only, whether it’s on tv or not. Also, if Greeneville was doing this only because of the gate, why would they agree to be the game of the week on WCYB for the same game? I know that they’ve allowed WCYB to broadcast the home Elizabethton game  before. 

11 minutes ago, B-Ball Fan said:

Reitzfan, I don’t think they’d ever do that since radio broadcasters are allowed from Kingsport and Elizabethton. 

Rodgerdodger,  you could be right, but it makes no sense. Both of those games will be standing room only, whether it’s on tv or not. Also, if Greeneville was doing this only because of the gate, why would they agree to be the game of the week on WCYB for the same game? I know that they’ve allowed WCYB to broadcast the home Elizabethton game  before. 

No clue, that’s just what I heard around Greeneville. Figured they’d use nfhs because they give some money to the school based on subscriptions. I’m sure some elderly folk and parents with kids would love to be able to catch all their games. 

12 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

Sounds exactly what Dyersburg did to Peabody last year when they would not allow them to broadcast live. What Dyersburg did was bush league and if Greenville doesnt allow it ,that is bush league as well. If GHS blocked my broadcasters from doing their job, I sure would not let the broadcasters for GHS radio or video in my house the next year. JMO

Feel free to give me a call the next time in the area as I have plenty of access to land where you can bury that hatchet. 

5 hours ago, RodgerDodger32 said:

They want people to come spend money at the gate. Been like that as long as streaming was a thing. 

That would be correct. Schools are afraid it will take away from the attendance. It's been going on since before internet streaming was a thing though. We've had places, many years past, that would not allow live radio broadcasts due to the fact that they were afraid it would hurt the attendance. Tape delay was fine, but no live broadcasts of any kind.

It's the same way in the playoffs. If you want to video the games then you have to pay TSSAA for the right. Even people doing the Facebook live thing aren't allowed to in the playoffs 

Edited by The Drunken Sailor

13 hours ago, B-Ball Fan said:

Although my path has not crossed many times with Greeneville, they have always been great to me in those moments. Always willing to share information and be of assistance. I have no reason to call them anything but first class and when you are as talented as they are across the athletic landscape they must be doing something right.

With all of that said, have you considered asking them directly for the reason? Asking on a message board can get very convoluted very quickly as many feel they know what’s going on when in reality there is much more to the story.

4 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

That would be correct. Schools are afraid it will take away from the attendance. It's been going on since before internet streaming was a thing though. We've had places, many years past, that would not allow live radio broadcasts due to the fact that they were afraid it would hurt the attendance. Tape delay was fine, but no live broadcasts of any kind.

It's the same way in the playoffs. If you want to video the games then you have to pay TSSAA for the right. Even people doing the Facebook live thing aren't allowed to in the playoffs 

My understanding of TSSAA live-streaming policy is that the state playoffs are off limits for streaming by anyone other than HFHS. Maybe a local media outlet can pay to stream. Feel free to correct me. Since we do not livestream I am unaware of the full procedures. All I know is that the TSSAA does not expect any school to allow a visiting livestream although they do encourage host locations to allow radio and/or delayed broadcasts for video coverage.

1 minute ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

We don't Livestream video either, but if you aren't on NFHS then you can submit an application to the TSSAA to video the game. I think it was $750 per playoff game for a live broadcast and $250 for tape delay. I don't know if that's still the policy, but it was a year or two ago.

It looks like Gillespie/TSSAA updated the media policies in the summer of 2022:

MediaRegulations.pdf#:~:text=To%20be%20c

2 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

We don't Livestream video either, but if you aren't on NFHS then you can submit an application to the TSSAA to video the game. I think it was $750 per playoff game for a live broadcast and $250 for tape delay. I don't know if that's still the policy, but it was a year or two ago.

Looking at the document, I like that the policy puts a fee that goes to the tournament director.

In my opinion, the only group that loses on a livestream is the host school. The visiting media and visiting school are the recipients of the sponsorships that come from the broadcast while the host school receives nothing from the broadcast in the regular season. In addition, the host school loses ticket sales, concessions, and tax revenue from fewer people coming to the community.