Greeneville livestream policy?

B-Ball Fan

8 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

Heck, if a school were affraid of losing gate, why allow home radio? Schoo k s lis gate from that too.

Of the school's that wouldn't let us broadcast live in the past, they didn't allow live home broadcasts either. These were old, old school coaches that are now retired that had these policies in place though. We haven't had the issue in years now.

But you're correct, if you won't let one do it, then you shouldn't be able to do it either.

Edited by The Drunken Sailor

29 minutes ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

Are you an AD or school official?

Nope, just a broadcaster and a fan who has opinions and is not affraid to express them, just like you. Ive got over 20 years of broadcasting experience in two different states. Like you, Ive been around a long time and have seen it all including the many changes over the years, both by a school and the TSSAA. My issues have nothing to do with you personally, you are good at what you do. It simply hate some of the silly rules that a very few schools choose to go by. I also do make it a point to know the media broadcasting rules. I know them and just dont agree with all of them. We all should be able to do our jobs. There are enough issues with poor press boxes (you can agree on that) we all just dont need a heavy hand with other restrictive rules

4 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

Nope, just a broadcaster and a fan who has opinions and is not affraid to express them, just like you. Ive got over 20 years of broadcasting experience in two different states. Like you, Ive been around a long time and have seen it all including the many changes over the years, both by a school and the TSSAA. My issues have nothing to do with you personally, you are good at what you do. It simply hate some of the silly rules that a very few schools choose to go by. I also do make it a point to know the media broadcasting rules. I know them and just dont agree with all of them. We all should be able to do our jobs. There are enough issues with poor press boxes (you can agree on that) we all just dont need a heavy hand with other restrictive rules

Indiana &'IHSAA don't pull that garbage 

21 minutes ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

True.

The first time I went to TSSAA meetings and heard about the NFHS Network, there was a gentleman offering the cameras for sale. Within a couple of years the schools were being offered them for free with a contract to join the NFHS. Not sure if they are back to being at a cost. Our facilities are equipped with the cameras but they are used for filming practices and games to be used across the board by the programs using the gym and stadium.

Those are more than likely Hudl cameras

7 minutes ago, highschoolfbfan777 said:

Indiana &'IHSAA don't pull that garbage 

Indiana now has some very restrictive rules as far as broadcasting during the post season for both radio and video. In Indiana even radio stations have to pay right fees both home and on the road for playoff games. Ive read the IHSAA state media rules as well

Edited by ReitzFan

If there are any Elizabethton fans interested, it would be interesting to hear the reason given to  Tom Taylor. I know that he wasn’t allowed to stream on their last non-playoff visit to Greeneville. 
Same w/Dobyns-Bennett. I know they weren’t allowed to stream from Burley Stadium either. 
Not trying to be disagreeable, but if it’s simply a matter of lost gate receipts, why allow WCYB to broadcast from GHS for the televised game of the week?  When most other schools allow it, it’s not a good look for GHS.

Edited by B-Ball Fan

10 minutes ago, B-Ball Fan said:

If there are any Elizabethton fans interested, it would be interesting to hear the reason given to  Tom Taylor. I know that he wasn’t allowed to stream on their last non-playoff visit to Greeneville. 
Same w/Dobyns-Bennett. I know they weren’t allowed to stream from Burley Stadium either. 
Not trying to be disagreeable, but if it’s simply a matter of lost gate receipts, why allow WCYB to broadcast from GHS for the televised game of the week?  When most other schools allow it, it’s not a good look for GHS.

Agreed. It's  not a good look for any school to do it despite how they may spin it.

I think a lot of it has to do with who has the rights to show a home game, so if I was the high school hosting I'd want that under control during the post season.  I know a friend of mine was an AD and at that particular school he said that it didn't really affect football, but basketball gates did go down when live streaming was happening.  I think it would affect someone's bottom line, but I also understand that some people want that option when they just can not make the game for whatever reason.  I think each school probably will have a different view about it.  I'd say some schools are fine with losing that one WCYB etc etc game, especially if it is going to be a game they know is going to be sold out regardless.  I get why some people say it isn't a good look since it is 2023.

Post season is all controlled by the TSSAA and NFHS I believe, so no choice in that matter.  Radio, fine, no livestreaming by the host school, T$$AA needs that money.

15 hours ago, B-Ball Fan said:

12 hours ago, formerblazer said:

I think a lot of it has to do with who has the rights to show a home game, so if I was the high school hosting I'd want that under control during the post season.  I know a friend of mine was an AD and at that particular school he said that it didn't really affect football, but basketball gates did go down when live streaming was happening.  I think it would affect someone's bottom line, but I also understand that some people want that option when they just can not make the game for whatever reason.  I think each school probably will have a different view about it.  I'd say some schools are fine with losing that one WCYB etc etc game, especially if it is going to be a game they know is going to be sold out regardless.  I get why some people say it isn't a good look since it is 2023.

Post season is all controlled by the TSSAA and NFHS I believe, so no choice in that matter.  Radio, fine, no livestreaming by the host school, T$$AA needs that money.

Per the TSSAA media regulations last season, if the TSSAA or NFHS selected the game then no other group can Livestream.

B. Any school that is a member of the NFHS Network School Broadcast Program (“SBP School”) has ther rightto broadcast both a live and on-demand Internet video broadcast of any TSSAA state playoff eventt thatthe NFHS Network has not selected for its own broadcabroadcast.

So, if the NFHS did not select this for it's own broadcast and if the other group is an NFHS broadcast crew, then they should have been allowed.

If they do not use an NFHS broadcast, then it is up to the host school and They would have to pay the host school game director $750.

E. Any media entity or school wishing to Internet stream or tape delay broadcast any post-season event that is not being carried by the NFHS Network must get approval from the host school.

1. If such permission is granted for a live Internet stream for the football playoffs, a fee of $750 will be paid to the game director and shall be included as part of the gate receipts. 

2. If such permission is granted for a 24-hour tape delay telecast for the football playoffs, a fee of $250 will be paid to the game director and shall be included as part of the gate receipts. 

Edited by The Drunken Sailor