BA has some issues …..

QuickStrike

You get what you pay for.  The reason the coaching search took as long as it did and ended with a young coach from Arkansas with no experience along with an OC that had never been an OC was the school did not want to pay for an experienced proven coach.  Strange when the tuition is 30k a year. These are questions for the headmaster and admin.  Like it or not in the private schools sports are the biggest draw for enrollment.  If you wont pay the HC a competitive wage then why are the parents expected to pay a premium tuition?   

• Upvote 1

On 8/26/2023 at 10:38 AM, FBfan26 said:

Got to be an able to run the ball efficiently. I think this a growing pains and Gill not knowing the area. Nobody’s gone lay down. BA on a bad year will always have a target on its back.

Off the thread congrats to your PC, they very well prepared this season !

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Fnltexas said:

You get what you pay for.  The reason the coaching search took as long as it did and ended with a young coach from Arkansas with no experience along with an OC that had never been an OC was the school did not want to pay for an experienced proven coach.  Strange when the tuition is 30k a year. These are questions for the headmaster and admin.  Like it or not in the private schools sports are the biggest draw for enrollment.  If you wont pay the HC a competitive wage then why are the parents expected to pay a premium tuition?   

IMO, the problem with paying the head football coach at the D2AAA schools so much money is that they often make more money than the head of the school!  Never underestimate the power of jealousy!  I was told by both a BA alum and former coach that the headmaster was bad news, and he would eventually be fired for not supporting athletics to the level that BA alumni are accustomed to seeing.

On 8/26/2023 at 10:36 AM, theawesomebro said:

LA is in the same boat but since we only had dilfer for 4 years, it is easy to remember his first year wasn't a piece of cake.  I think both teams will make lots of progress in the coming weeks.  don't press panic yet.

I agree best three QB's in the state are 0-6, won't stay that way long.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cbg said:

IMO, the problem with paying the head football coach at the D2AAA schools so much money is that they often make more money than the head of the school!  Never underestimate the power of jealousy!  I was told by both a BA alum and former coach that the headmaster was bad news, and he would eventually be fired for not supporting athletics to the level that BA alumni are accustomed to seeing.

BA doesn't pay the head coach what you believe they pay.   At least on paper.  I've heard the same about the HM, it's a matter of time.

• Upvote 1

Headmaster makes plenty, shockingly plenty...In the span of 2 years - new AD, FB coach, Boys Basketball, Baseball, Wrestling, girls soccer, boys soccer, Volleyball, Girls XC, Track, Tennis, Golf...to name a few...faculty has had unbelievable turnover the last 2 years as well - BA isn't the same BA anymore...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, matt86 said:

Headmaster makes plenty, shockingly plenty...In the span of 2 years - new AD, FB coach, Boys Basketball, Baseball, Wrestling, girls soccer, boys soccer, Volleyball, Girls XC, Track, Tennis, Golf...to name a few...faculty has had unbelievable turnover the last 2 years as well - BA isn't the same BA anymore...

This has happened at a couple of Nashville Privates lately. New headmaster/president, fruit-basket turnover. 

There have been several Hall of Fame coaches in multiple sports change jobs lately simply because new leadership either does not understand the importance of athletics in D2 or their ego simply cannot handle a coach having EARNED more respect than the leader is GIVEN. Sometimes it is a combination of both.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, MoonDogRex said:

Gee, I don't know - maybe academic preparation for college adds to some of the value included in the tuition? Just a guess.

Yes indeed it does.  However so do the arts, athletics, and spiritual parts of the school.  All should be striving to be the best they can.  Its not an either or. Never understood this attitude.  Are you ok with your science dept. not meeting expectations as well?  Excellence should be the goal through out the school.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fnltexas said:

Yes indeed it does.  However so do the arts, athletics, and spiritual parts of the school.  All should be striving to be the best they can.  Its not an either or. Never understood this attitude.  Are you ok with your science dept. not meeting expectations as well?  Excellence should be the goal through out the school.   

Not at all okay with any academic department not meeting its expectations - and that was essentially my point - the academics come first. The remark I replied to made a strange connection between a high school football head coach's salary and the level of tuition. This is not Power 5 football.