BA has some issues …..

QuickStrike

21 hours ago, Fnltexas said:

Yes indeed it does.  However so do the arts, athletics, and spiritual parts of the school.  All should be striving to be the best they can.  Its not an either or. Never understood this attitude.  Are you ok with your science dept. not meeting expectations as well?  Excellence should be the goal through out the school.   

I completely agree that it’s not an “either or” issue!  The problem is that a high percentage of academicians  DO NOT believe that academics and athletics are able to coexist and both be great.  I personally had one headmaster tell me that when athletics become great the tail begins to wag the dog and while he felt that it is perfectly fine for kids to participate in athletics he didn’t really care if the teams won championships.  When I posed the question of how he would feel if the chemistry department had the same results as the football team he immediately informed me that those were two completely different scenarios  and walked away.  Needless to say it took 10+ years to get his contract terminated due to a weak Board of Trust and the athletic department of the school is in shambles.  

Edited by cbg

On 9/2/2023 at 7:20 AM, cbg said:

I completely agree that it’s not an “either or” issue!  The problem is that a high percentage of academicians  DO NOT believe that academics and athletics are able to coexist and both be great.  I personally had one headmaster tell me that when athletics become great the tail begins to wag the dog and while he felt that it is perfectly fine for kids to participate in athletics he didn’t really care if the teams won championships.  When I posed the question of how he would feel if the chemistry department had the same results as the football team he immediately informed me that those were two completely different scenarios  and walked away.  Needless to say it took 10+ years to get his contract terminated due to a weak Board of Trust and the athletic department of the school is in shambles.  

If an academician is working at a private or independent school in the south (that has football) they better be able to believe that academics and athletics can coexist. Athletics don't become great by accident. Someone has made the decision that an investment in people (coaches and players) and facilities must be made. The question is: is it (success) sustainable?

BTW - that head was right to walk away from you. If ACT, SAT, and AP scores are poor for too long at a school, changes will be made.

On 9/4/2023 at 6:13 AM, 3DayWknd said:

If an academician is working at a private or independent school in the south (that has football) they better be able to believe that academics and athletics can coexist. Athletics don't become great by accident. Someone has made the decision that an investment in people (coaches and players) and facilities must be made. The question is: is it (success) sustainable?

BTW - that head was right to walk away from you. If ACT, SAT, and AP scores are poor for too long at a school, changes will be made.

The headmaster was a douche bag that should have never been hired.  I knew shortly after meeting his that he was a politician that would tell everyone what he thought they wanted to hear.  Needless to say the school and community are much better off with him gone. 

Edited by cbg

7 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

I don't know about that yet.  I won't say BA is horrible, I will just say they are not good.  Ensworth and Ryan play on the weaker side of D2/3A so I am still not convinced.  Half the region is Memphis teams which is BA's only win.

Let’s see if FR can stop what has been reported as a 26 game losing streak to MBA next Friday night.  

1 hour ago, PurplePanther said:

I don't know about that yet.  I won't say BA is horrible, I will just say they are not good.  Ensworth and Ryan play on the weaker side of D2/3A so I am still not convinced.  Half the region is Memphis teams which is BA's only win.

im wondering if calling the weaker side wasn't all that true and they have something to prove.  ensworth's match up with LA this week will be telling.