Upperman vs Macon Co

crow6424

So, let's add some context here.  These are the top five teams from the first AP poll and the population of the counties where they reside:

Greeneville 70,621

Anderson County  77,576

Elizabethton  56,134

Pearl Cohn 703,593

Red Bank  369,135

So, are you saying none of these schools should be in 4A?  Or, is it just Upperman you have a problem with?

38 minutes ago, VictoryFormation said:

So, let's add some context here.  These are the top five teams from the first AP poll and the population of the counties where they reside:

Greeneville 70,621

Anderson County  77,576

Elizabethton  56,134

Pearl Cohn 703,593

Red Bank  369,135

So, are you saying none of these schools should be in 4A?  Or, is it just Upperman you have a problem with?

Add Stone is  top 8 and resides in a county of 65,283. 

54 minutes ago, VictoryFormation said:

Greeneville 70,621

Anderson County  77,576

Elizabethton  56,134

Pearl Cohn 703,593

Red Bank  369,135

I think it's just having a problem with Upperman.

Of those counties population there are multiple high schools (More in Nashville and Chatt but will compare the top three since they are more rural).

Greene County had 5 high schools with Greeneville being the largest in 4a ( 1 3a school, 2 2a schools, and 1 1a school. Chuckey-Doak, South Greene, West Greene, and North Greene)

Anderson County has three high schools with Anderson County being the Smallest (2 5a schools in Anderson County in Oak Ridge and Clinton)

Elizabethton (Carter County) has 5 schools with Betsy being the largest. (2 1a schools, 2 2a schools, and then Betsy. Cloudland, Unaka, Hampton, Happy Valley)

10 minutes ago, Swipes said:

I think it's just having a problem with Upperman.

Of those counties population there are multiple high schools (More in Nashville and Chatt but will compare the top three since they are more rural).

Greene County had 5 high schools with Greeneville being the largest in 4a ( 1 3a school, 2 2a schools, and 1 1a school. Chuckey-Doak, South Greene, West Greene, and North Greene)

Anderson County has three high schools with Anderson County being the Smallest (2 5a schools in Anderson County in Oak Ridge and Clinton)

Elizabethton (Carter County) has 5 schools with Betsy being the largest. (2 1a schools, 2 2a schools, and then Betsy. Cloudland, Unaka, Hampton, Happy Valley)

Putnam County also has multiple high schools.

59 minutes ago, VictoryFormation said:

Putnam County also has multiple high schools.

I know and why I gave the examples I did.  Putnam is a lot like those 3 counties that I mentioned and think it's them having a problem with Upperman since they have been successful.  Same thing happened with Greeneville and everyone on the Tri-Cities hating us :lol: 

3 hours ago, VictoryFormation said:

Greeneville 70,621

Anderson County  77,576

Elizabethton  56,134

Pearl Cohn 703,593

Red Bank  369,135

I have no problem with Upperman at all (except the basketball teams) but they just have a little bit of an advantage against everybody in the Upper Cumberland. Especially in their region 

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

I know and why I gave the examples I did.  Putnam is a lot like those 3 counties that I mentioned and think it's them having a problem with Upperman since they have been successful.  Same thing happened with Greeneville and everyone on the Tri-Cities hating us :lol: 

Understood, thanks Swipes.  With Upperman, I think the jelly factor gets magnified a bit because they were the whipping boy for so long.  I think in the two years before Ben Herron took over they won a total of two games, and each one of those was over Pickett County.  Outside of that, they weren't very competitive.  I believe Ben said his first spring practice there were like 19 players.  Within about three years, that number was closer to 100 and they've continued to build the program.  However, I'm sure there are some around who still wish Upperman was the team you scheduled for your homecoming win.

1 hour ago, VictoryFormation said:

Understood, thanks Swipes.  With Upperman, I think the jelly factor gets magnified a bit because they were the whipping boy for so long.  I think in the two years before Ben Herron took over they won a total of two games, and each one of those was over Pickett County.  Outside of that, they weren't very competitive.  I believe Ben said his first spring practice there were like 19 players.  Within about three years, that number was closer to 100 and they've continued to build the program.  However, I'm sure there are some around who still wish Upperman was the team you scheduled for your homecoming win.

Right

This isn’t your daddies Upperman football program. We are no longer just a basketball and baseball school. We are good at all three sports. You better get used to it!!!!

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

Also if you build it, people will come so they can lob accusations that have no merit. When the haters start to show up, your doing something right

Exactly, "no merit" being the key phrase here.  One of these uninformed people said they get 5-10 talented players a year transferring in.  That would be nearly half the team.  Been up and down the roster and can tell you that statement has no merit.  Real easy to say something like that on a message board though.  Funny thing is, no matter how many times one repeats a lie, it never becomes the truth.

1 minute ago, VictoryFormation said:

Exactly, "no merit" being the key phrase here.  One of these uninformed people said they get 5-10 talented players a year transferring in.  That would be nearly half the team.  Been up and down the roster and can tell you that statement has no merit.  Real easy to say something like that on a message board though.  Funny thing is, no matter how many times one repeats a lie, it never becomes the truth.

I went to school with a lot of their parents in the 90’s at Upperman. So I know where most of the kids roots are.