Dresden At Halls

ysoangry

On 9/8/2023 at 8:12 PM, HevyReturns said:

48-0 in 2nd, Lions up.

Dresden has about 20 less students enrolled at their school than Halls.  Greenfield has exactly just 50% of the enrollment, 1/2 for those of you mathematically challenged.  Lake County has 141 less enrolled than Halls so about 60% of the enrollment at Halls.  If this staff took over a poorly run program then why did Halls beat Greenfield pretty good last year but lost pretty bad this year when it is well known that graduation did not hit Halls very hard?

On 9/10/2023 at 5:08 PM, Deeper said:

Dresden has about 20 less students enrolled at their school than Halls.  Greenfield has exactly just 50% of the enrollment, 1/2 for those of you mathematically challenged.  Lake County has 141 less enrolled than Halls so about 60% of the enrollment at Halls.  If this staff took over a poorly run program then why did Halls beat Greenfield pretty good last year but lost pretty bad this year when it is well known that graduation did not hit Halls very hard?

I will tell you a few things about Halls, so everyone on this board is informed. 

1. Last years seniors had more impact on the team than I think everyone realized. We lost most of our skill guys. Which you can see why they are struggling scoring and defense. 

2. Everyone saying it is easy coaching and anyone can come in here and win games. It's not that easy. Yes, we have more students than most in this region, but we struggle getting students to get involved in sports due to many issues. (Parents not being involved, poverty, laziness,  etc.) These coaches are working I promise you that. 

3. They had a successful season last season but those seniors were great leaders. 

4. You all don't understand the situation until you are in it. That's all I will say. No making excuses but others have more to work with that than what this coaching staff has. Give them a year or two and I think they will be ok.

• Like 3

On 9/7/2023 at 1:56 PM, WestTnFootball13 said:

Last years team. The staff now took over a program that had its best season in a long time with a lot of guys returning.

Last years team did have a middle of the road record, but if you look closer is it because last year's schedule was much easier? They beat a TRA team that went 2-8, Greenfield who went 1-8, FACS who went 2-8, West Carroll who had the best record at 5-6, Harding Academy who was 0-10 and Humboldt who went 3-7. Sounds like they scheduled well since the same staff was 1-9 there year prior. So far this year Halls has lost two a 4-0 TRA team this year, 3-1 Greenfield and 4-0, top 3 team in the state in Dresden. All I am saying is don't be too quick to judge the staff before looking at all the details. They are still on pace to do what the previous staff did in every other season they were there before last season... 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hallsguy said:

I will tell you a few things about Halls, so everyone on this board is informed. 

1. Last years seniors had more impact on the team than I think everyone realized. We lost most of our skill guys. Which you can see why they are struggling scoring and defense. 

2. Everyone saying it is easy coaching and anyone can come in here and win games. It's not that easy. Yes, we have more students than most in this region, but we struggle getting students to get involved in sports due to many issues. (Parents not being involved, poverty, laziness,  etc.) These coaches are working I promise you that. 

3. They had a successful season last season but those seniors were great leaders. 

4. You all don't understand the situation until you are in it. That's all I will say. No making excuses but others have more to work with that than what this coaching staff has. Give them a year or two and I think they will be ok.

When players do not know what to do on many plays and there is an overall lackadaisical effort on most plays then one has to assume that there will be no change the rest of this year, next year or the year after that.  There's no demographical difference in the overall student population than most any other small town in west TN.  Take Lake County, for example.  The excuses you give have not changed in 25 years.  Take Dresden for example.  A few years ago they couldn't beat their way out of a paper bag but have won a state championship since then.  There is more to it than meets the eye (or your excuses) when this goes on for 25 years.

What I saw last Friday night was a super clean small town stadium full to the brim with young children enjoying being at the ball park playing around the edges. Home stands that weren't filled to capacity, but definitely weren't empty. Honorable mention to the band for absolutely rocking the Star Spangled Banner. Goodness they must have had 45 cheerleaders! There was a lot of good things to say about Halls. Probably the most welcoming travel game community ever.

But there was no energy or hunger on the field. Zero, none at all. Maybe I missed it??? But they didn't even announce their own starting players?? Really? Those kids deserve to be announced in front of their family & friends. No music on timeouts to lift moods & spirits, never called out a players name that made a tackle or first down or catch or anything. Just no energy at all. Yeah, they were facing a tall task in playing Dresden this year on that night, but that team was beat long before the game started. I don't know the history of this or that & don't care. Right here, right now, those kids need some support and some influx of positive energy or enthusiasm. I would imagine practice is about as miserable as could be. It's easy to blame the coaches, especially new ones. Maybe they are making good decisions & building a program, maybe its the worst hire ever??? I don't know, but it takes more than the coaches to influence those kids & give them some mental toughness & form of belief in themselves to be able to push each other & compete. I'd start with the announcer, get another one that sounds like he actually wants to be there & not afraid to announce a kids name. Let that kid hear his name called when he's done something on the field. It just might inspire him to make another good play

5 hours ago, SpottedGoat said:

What I saw last Friday night was a super clean small town stadium full to the brim with young children enjoying being at the ball park playing around the edges. Home stands that weren't filled to capacity, but definitely weren't empty. Honorable mention to the band for absolutely rocking the Star Spangled Banner. Goodness they must have had 45 cheerleaders! There was a lot of good things to say about Halls. Probably the most welcoming travel game community ever.

But there was no energy or hunger on the field. Zero, none at all. Maybe I missed it??? But they didn't even announce their own starting players?? Really? Those kids deserve to be announced in front of their family & friends. No music on timeouts to lift moods & spirits, never called out a players name that made a tackle or first down or catch or anything. Just no energy at all. Yeah, they were facing a tall task in playing Dresden this year on that night, but that team was beat long before the game started. I don't know the history of this or that & don't care. Right here, right now, those kids need some support and some influx of positive energy or enthusiasm. I would imagine practice is about as miserable as could be. It's easy to blame the coaches, especially new ones. Maybe they are making good decisions & building a program, maybe its the worst hire ever??? I don't know, but it takes more than the coaches to influence those kids & give them some mental toughness & form of belief in themselves to be able to push each other & compete. I'd start with the announcer, get another one that sounds like he actually wants to be there & not afraid to announce a kids name. Let that kid hear his name called when he's done something on the field. It just might inspire him to make another good play

Dang you are right on.  25 years is a long time.  The players that last played when Halls was not a favorite homecoming game for everyone on their schedule might be having grand kids by now.  Losing has come to be expected, accepted.  Losing by a lot...same way.  I've been told the problem is school board members with players on the team being what some call passive aggressive in controlling decisions of coaches.  They hire coaches that can be bullied.  If the Dresden coach had begun as the head coach at Halls 2 years ago and any of the past several head coaches at Halls had taken over Dresden 2 years ago then Halls would have won 62-0.  Obviously, the Dresden coach does what he thinks is best, does not tolerate interference from the outside no matter who they thing they are and understands things like off season conditioning, staying on blocks, etc. knowing how to block, offensive plays that compliment each other, studying tape and seeing the biggest weaknesses of the next opponent, which player should be at what position, not settling for half azz effort at practice, let who would quit, quit.  But all of that is called W. O. R. K.