Dresden At Halls

ysoangry

1 minute ago, ysoangry said:

Hodge and his staff is what turned Dresden around. Before he arrived I think Dresden had won 1 or two games in the last four years. He wasn't the head coach when we went to the state championship in 2A but make no mistake he and is staff were the reason we got there. He doesn't play the politics and put the best kids on the field. It's been nine years since my son graduated and to this day he will do anything for the staff we had while he was there. Still stays in touch with several of them. If Hodge hadn't went to Murray he would have a state championship at this point. Heck I could have coached the team that won it, to the gold ball. Fan support cannot be understated either. Of course you find out on who the real dedicated fans and parents are when it's time to clean the stadium, locker rooms or raise money for the teams. It's tough work supporting you kids in sports or anything for that matter. Good or bad teams needs everyone's support!  No doubt they will be back! Enough of my Hevy sermon for today!!! Go Lions.

11 hours ago, Deeper said:

Dang you are right on.  25 years is a long time.  The players that last played when Halls was not a favorite homecoming game for everyone on their schedule might be having grand kids by now.  Losing has come to be expected, accepted.  Losing by a lot...same way.  I've been told the problem is school board members with players on the team being what some call passive aggressive in controlling decisions of coaches.  They hire coaches that can be bullied.  If the Dresden coach had begun as the head coach at Halls 2 years ago and any of the past several head coaches at Halls had taken over Dresden 2 years ago then Halls would have won 62-0.  Obviously, the Dresden coach does what he thinks is best, does not tolerate interference from the outside no matter who they thing they are and understands things like off season conditioning, staying on blocks, etc. knowing how to block, offensive plays that compliment each other, studying tape and seeing the biggest weaknesses of the next opponent, which player should be at what position, not settling for half azz effort at practice, let who would quit, quit.  But all of that is called W. O. R. K.  

Many of the players that played when Halls was competitive have moved out or are sending their kids to Dyersburg, TCA or even Dyer Co. That goes for all sports. 

1 hour ago, Waker said:

Many of the players that played when Halls was competitive have moved out or are sending their kids to Dyersburg, TCA or even Dyer Co. That goes for all sports. 

Just asking, because I'm completely unfamiliar with the area south of Dyersburg, but would Ripley pull kids from here since they are in county? Is Ripley the "county school" there as they are 3A?

20 hours ago, Deeper said:

When players do not know what to do on many plays and there is an overall lackadaisical effort on most plays then one has to assume that there will be no change the rest of this year, next year or the year after that.  There's no demographical difference in the overall student population than most any other small town in west TN.  Take Lake County, for example.  The excuses you give have not changed in 25 years.  Take Dresden for example.  A few years ago they couldn't beat their way out of a paper bag but have won a state championship since then.  There is more to it than meets the eye (or your excuses) when this goes on for 25 years.

Well I will say this and we can agree to disagree. In some areas, support for coaching is higher than others. Example, I know a lot of school who get away with certain things because the principals, community members etc. were coaches or played. Thus, things get thrown under the bus or overlooked, rules get stretched, etc. You can say I'm making excuses, but the playing field is definitely not level. The culture at Dresden, Union City, Lake Co. or any other successful 1A school is different than in other areas. People get kids transferring in from middle school or high school. It's a corrupt system and will never be equal. 

25 minutes ago, Hallsguy said:

Well I will say this and we can agree to disagree. In some areas, support for coaching is higher than others. Example, I know a lot of school who get away with certain things because the principals, community members etc. were coaches or played. Thus, things get thrown under the bus or overlooked, rules get stretched, etc. You can say I'm making excuses, but the playing field is definitely not level. The culture at Dresden, Union City, Lake Co. or any other successful 1A school is different than in other areas. People get kids transferring in from middle school or high school. It's a corrupt system and will never be equal. 

I’m confused! So are you saying the administration is corrupt at LC or we are pulling kids from other schools? I have tons of respect for the Halls community and my moms was the principal there for several years. Talk about community support…who has a new indoor practice facility? Answer is Halls

I can tell you this for a fact Dresden doesn't get transfers ( we have a foreign exchange student from Germany this year). It starts with parents building a culture at a young age. Your youth programs are a pipeline to middle school and middle school to high school. Every successful Dresden teams has a group that has played together since flag football and I'm sure surrounding schools will say the same. So maybe it's not always at the high school level that's the problem want a better program start a better youth program and get DADS involved that want to help the future programs succeed and don't play daddy ball!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sherdog said:

I can tell you this for a fact Dresden doesn't get transfers ( we have a foreign exchange student from Germany this year). It starts with parents building a culture at a young age. Your youth programs are a pipeline to middle school and middle school to high school. Every successful Dresden teams has a group that has played together since flag football and I'm sure surrounding schools will say the same. So maybe it's not always at the high school level that's the problem want a better program start a better youth program and get DADS involved that want to help the future programs succeed and don't play daddy ball!!

Dad's at games can be problems at times. I had to sit next to Chuck West in the box for the second half one game when my son played. Turns out the frown at going to the visitors side to yell at the refs. It was just like I was in high school all over again. Nice view from the box though. lol

5 hours ago, ysoangry said:

Dad's at games can be problems at times. I had to sit next to Chuck West in the box for the second half one game when my son played. Turns out the frown at going to the visitors side to yell at the refs. It was just like I was in high school all over again. Nice view from the box though. lol

Ohhh  I thought you were there cheer us up since we are jinxed against the mustanks