Smith Co @ Macon Co

Fan66

On 9/3/2023 at 2:59 PM, UpperCumberlandMan said:

How will Smith County compete with all the advantages open enrollment Macon County has with the big city of Lafayette to draw from and a more than 300 person enrollment advantage? 

In all seriousness, Macon gets a close win by 6. Speed on the Macon side in this one. 

I know you were just making a joke. But just wanted to clarify that Smith Co is open zone as well for anyone that didn’t know. Below is the board policy on admission of non resident students. 

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AALvXJ15sQBB0uo&id=C425CC264269ABEF!60433&cid=C425CC264269ABEF&parId=root&parQt=sharedby&o=OneUp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Good programs get, retain, and develope good players. 

Upperman obviously has an improved program over the last decade. Credit is due the coaching staff, as it’s apparent they do a good job. This is in no way an effort to discredit what’s been done with Upperman’s program, or the way it got where it is today. Many things go into a successful program.

To say their success is in no part due to the circumstances in Putnam County is not truthful, at best. The “build it and they will come” argument is true no doubt, but generally applies to state championship caliber programs. Upperman has more likely benefited from the poor state of Cookville football and the opportunity for athletes to play in a smaller classification. This was evident at Friendship Christian for years in Wilson County. To compare Smith County and Macon County to Upperman’s situation is a position that’s just not logical. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

That was mostly sarcasm, but since you keep insisting

Lafayette pop 5,800, Macon 26, 880

Carthage pop 2,350, Smith 20,400

RBS draws 188 students, Gordonsville around 320

Huge advantage in number of kids to pick from for Macon. With all these advantages, how does Smith have a big lead in the all times series in wins including 2 in a row? 

Answer, Dyer gets the most out of what he has. 

Maynard consistently had 80-90 kids on the team and players would find a way to be eligible to play for him.

You build it, players will come. Starts out getting the most out of what you have walking the hallways. Making excuses is just a cop out. 

Back to seriousness, I still say Macon by 6. 

What’s the overall series numbers for Upperman vs Smith. How many players does Upperman have out this year? Quite a bit less than what I’d assumed. Think I remember reading a post from someone about how you just can’t compete at the 4A level with 40 or so players. That go for Upperman also?  

1 hour ago, Magnus99 said:

What’s the overall series numbers for Upperman vs Smith. How many players does Upperman have out this year? Quite a bit less than what I’d assumed. Think I remember reading a post from someone about how you just can’t compete at the 4A level with 40 or so players. That go for Upperman also?  

SC leads the series 26-8-1

8 hours ago, Roooster said:

The type of kids in rural Smith County and rural Macon county are very similar. But the type/quantity of Cookeville is way different than what anyone else in the UC can get in 4A and under. It’s really simple but you don’t want to admit it for whatever reason.

regardless of the advantage, what Upperman has done in football especially is still impressive. They are a 8+ win team every year and that’s a gery good football program

It's not even close to impressive with that pool of players from cookville they should win in every sport.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roooster said:

The type of kids in rural Smith County and rural Macon county are very similar. But the type/quantity of Cookeville is way different than what anyone else in the UC can get in 4A and under. It’s really simple but you don’t want to admit it for whatever reason.

regardless of the advantage, what Upperman has done in football especially is still impressive. They are a 8+ win team every year and that’s a gery good football program

To be perfectly honest, Upperman recruits the heck out of Putnam, and it has been a practice in Basketball and Football for over a decade.

The Mcwilliams transfer is a used phrase in Putnam county and Caine and Shanks have caught onto and have been using it recently.  There is also a few kids from Jackson, Smith, and Dekalb who are playing at Upperman.

Academically, the hs and middleschool has become a warzone because of stuff like this, but athletics wise, it's created a boom for sports.

17 hours ago, Magnus99 said:

The Smith vs Upperman is heavily in favor of Smith. Pretty even since say 2010 I would guess. 

I will say it again, go look at the Greenville and Elizabethton rosters and check. Same with Alcoa in 3a.

Got to maximize everything you have in the school. 

17 hours ago, Magnus99 said:

Upperman was always the whipping boys and a very weak football school up until the past 10-15 or so years. You don’t go from that to a consistent region power without some fundamental change. 

General 30 year history

1994-2001 UHS was very competitive with a semi final loss. 

2002-2012 was very lean years for the Bees. 

2013-2022 has been a good run for the Bees with i think 3 semi final apperences. 

The whipping boy until recent must date way way back or reference that 10 year span 2002-2012 when they transitioned from 2a to 3a.