West TN Rural Top 10 Week 7

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

On 9/25/2023 at 12:26 PM, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

I sincerely believe if you took the best of 1 and 2A in the area (jcs included) they'd mop up 3 4 and 5A outside of Henry county. Just my opinion. 

It's a weird situation to be in for sure. Haven't set there and thought about the "best teams" in West Tennessee are from the classification of 1A and 2A. I don't know if JCS would be able to beat Dyersburg and Munford. I do believe coaching can get them past Haywood, but the Tomcats have the players in the secondary to "contain" Mosley. 

Just ten years ago, Liberty and North Side were the dominant teams in 3/4A (along with Covington, Lexington, and Hardin County). Then, here comes Haywood with Steve Hookfin. It doesn't help when Liberty has fallen off the earth, and North Side took a major step back, but trying to get back to relevancy. No one is talking about this, but teams like Crockett County need to be dominant again. You can throw in Lexington in there as well. I'll also say this, if South Gibson was clicking the way I saw them clicked against Munford, I thought they were the favorite to win 6-4A and be dominant. But injuries to the QB and RB position hurts, and the officiating blunder in the Milan game doesn't help them at all.

On 9/25/2023 at 9:33 PM, Tigersandcats said:

Very true and I’m not really arguing your point. I guess the word mop struck a nerve lol. I believe your right to an extent. I just don’t believe those wins would be easy. I don’t really even like talking about hypothetical games because no one really knows how they’d go. By the way, I don’t see Haywood staying down to earth for long. I just hope they do for at least a couple more weeks till after our game with them. 

I don't either tbh 

9 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

It's a weird situation to be in for sure. Haven't set there and thought about the "best teams" in West Tennessee are from the classification of 1A and 2A. I don't know if JCS would be able to beat Dyersburg and Munford. I do believe coaching can get them past Haywood, but the Tomcats have the players in the secondary to "contain" Mosley. 

Just ten years ago, Liberty and North Side were the dominant teams in 3/4A (along with Covington, Lexington, and Hardin County). Then, here comes Haywood with Steve Hookfin. It doesn't help when Liberty has fallen off the earth, and North Side took a major step back, but trying to get back to relevancy. No one is talking about this, but teams like Crockett County need to be dominant again. You can throw in Lexington in there as well. I'll also say this, if South Gibson was clicking the way I saw them clicked against Munford, I thought they were the favorite to win 6-4A and be dominant. But injuries to the QB and RB position hurts, and the officiating blunder in the Milan game doesn't help them at all.

Good post. I agree on SGC as well. They were my preseason pick to win our region. 6-4A that is.

If the Tomcats can tighten up their defense (a lot) then they will be tough for anyone. There offense is nearly unstoppable. (key word nearly). I hope they continue to move in the positive direction. Will  they reach the semis? I have my doubts but they seem to be figuring some things out. The last three games of their schedule will tell us a lot. 

Go Tomcats!