Dobyns-Bennet is Afraid of Cow Bells

CyclonePrider

I can't speak for DB, but Boone is VERY afraid of Elizabethton, that is why we have played them 37 times.

We Boone goons have attempted to utilize Exposure Therapy to overcome this fear, but it is not easy and it is not short-term.     Several times per year, even outside of football season, our players and coaches will make surreptitious trips to Elizabethton (never on a Washington County bus, only private unmarked transportation).    The idea is to drive through town and face those fears head-on without worrying about repercussions.    The theory goes that as more and more exposure happens, over time the fears begin to dissipate and become innocuous.  The problem of course is that each year is a slightly different group of guys on the team who have to initiate the process of becoming desensitized to all things Cyclone.    This may sound crazy to outsiders and scoffers but I believe it is working, and who knows, after maybe 20 years we may be able to finally step onto the football field with Elizabethton and view them as a worthy yet equal opponent.    But until that happens we will keep scheduling them year after year after year....

https://www.apa.org/ptsd-guideline/patients-and-families/exposure-therapy

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

I can't speak for DB, but Boone is VERY afraid of Elizabethton, that is why we have played them 37 times.

We Boone goons have attempted to utilize Exposure Therapy to overcome this fear, but it is not easy and it is not short-term.     Several times per year, even outside of football season, our players and coaches will make surreptitious trips to Elizabethton (never on a Washington County bus, only private unmarked transportation).    The idea is to drive through town and face those fears head-on without worrying about repercussions.    The theory goes that as more and more exposure happens, over time the fears begin to dissipate and become innocuous.  The problem of course is that each year is a slightly different group of guys on the team who have to initiate the process of becoming desensitized to all things Cyclone.    This may sound crazy to outsiders and scoffers but I believe it is working, and who knows, after maybe 20 years we may be able to finally step onto the football field with Elizabethton and view them as a worthy yet equal opponent.    But until that happens we will keep scheduling them year after year after year....

Lol this is great.

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Any Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday is open on our schedule between now and the end of the season. Put up or shut up..as a matter of fact the only team in this area that has an open date the same week as Elizabethton is none other than Daniel Boone and guess what. They are afraid and refuse to play Elizabethton.... Explain that Sigmund Freud....

Edited by CyclonePrider

17 minutes ago, CyclonePrider said:

Any Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday is open on our schedule between now and the end of the season. Put up or shut up..

I think Boone would have to decline based on fear.     You have to understand that Exposure Therapy takes time, it doesn't happen in a day or a week or even a year.    But this is a proven technique so we just have to stay with it until we get to that point.    Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

1 hour ago, CyclonePrider said:

Any Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday is open on our schedule between now and the end of the season. Put up or shut up..as a matter of fact the only team in this area that has an open date the same week as Elizabethton is none other than Daniel Boone and guess what. They are afraid and refuse to play Elizabethton.... Explain that Sigmund Freud....

I believe he just did, Gomer!