What’s your favorite football - high school, college, or NFL?

CHARGERFAN

I watch football at all three levels. I enjoy high school, college, and pro. But my favorite is by far high school football. Here’s why the high school game is tops for me:

1. It’s a community effort. We may differ about politics, religion, lifestyle, etc. but we all show up and support “our boys” on Friday nights.

2. No instant replays. The officials make their call and that’s the final word. 

3. No commercials. Because of 2 and 3, games can be played in 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Occasionally one might go 3 hours, but there are no 3-1/2 to 4 hour games.

4. The players are not paid, at least in my community.

5. I can follow kids through Middle School to High School. It’s fun to watch them develop. 

6. The divisions in the TSSAA mean that teams are generally on an equal footing. 

That’s my take, so I would be interested in  what other folks think.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I watch football at all three levels. I enjoy high school, college, and pro. But my favorite is by far high school football. Here’s why the high school game is tops for me:

1. It’s a community effort. We may differ about politics, religion, lifestyle, etc. but we all show up and support “our boys” on Friday nights.

3. No commercials. Because of 2 and 3, games can be played in 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Occasionally one might go 3 hours, but there are no 3-1/2 to 4 hour games.

5. I can follow kids through Middle School to High School. It’s fun to watch them develop. 

6. The divisions in the TSSAA mean that teams are generally on an equal footing. 

High school hands down for all the reasons you just pointed out.Great post!!

20 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

2. Many schools video stream their games and some are even on TV. Many have instant replay. I'm  sure you ment that there are no plays "under review"

3. Have you ever  listened to or watched a HS game? Commercials are played. Select tv games and all state championship games do have "tv timeouts" that are longer then the alloted times during a regular season game. As one who is in the broadcast industry, I wish there were more media timeouts. It costs money to broadcast a game on radio or videostream. We need time to air commercials so you can watch or listen to a game on radio or TV, or online

4. Are you absolutely sure?

I get what you are trying to say and I mostly agree with what you say except in a few instances. 

23 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

2. Many schools video stream their games and some are even on TV. Many have instant replay. I'm  sure you ment that there are no plays "under review"

3. Have you ever  listened to or watched a HS game? Commercials are played. Select tv games and all state championship games do have "tv timeouts" that are longer then the alloted times during a regular season game. As one who is in the broadcast industry, I wish there were more media timeouts. It costs money to broadcast a game on radio or videostream. We need time to air commercials so you can watch or listen to a game on radio or TV, or online

4. Are you absolutely sure?

I get what you are trying to say and I mostly agree with what you say except in a few instances. 

Come on, Reitz, you know what @CHARGERFANis talking about. Take your media hat off for a day.

• Upvote 1

High school is on a different plane. Best reason is I know the kid's (most of) families...went to school with a bunch of grandparents, and the rest are neighbors, acquaintances, and just people I recognize from day to day activities. Nothing like having a personal interest in seeing the kids growing up from week to week, and year to year. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Come on, Reitz, you know what @CHARGERFANis talking about. Take your media hat off for a day.

Admittedly,  that is hard for me to do. I'm also OCD on terminology.  With that being said, I basically agree with chargerfan. I have not watched one down of NFL or college football this weekend. I have watched 4 full or partial high school broadcasts and am currently working on some statistical research to help out an area sports writer.  Have also edited and posted video clips from 2 different games this week. Have also written an editorial piece on high school football playoff formats for a publication in my home state of Indiana. 

Despite enjoying stirring the pot from time to time, I'm all about high school football and high school sports in general

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I do love High School for the "small town" feel. Everyone knows everyone. The bands, the cheerleaders, the fans, all gathering at one place to 2.5-3 hours to support their team who represents their community.

It's the players game, I would rather see offenses that are fun for the players and provide great entertainment, than just a "3 yards and a cloud of dust." I feel bad for teams that have 6'3 receivers that may not get the ball because of the "style" of their offense. Great teams adjust their style of play to what their personnel provides, but there are a lot of coaches across our country that are selfish and not change their offensive system because it worked back in 1971. 

College football have better offenses because the coaches can try new plays and it may works. However, they're willing to do that to get the best out of their team and every player. I just don't see the creativity on offense from some coaches. I know college football players can handle the plays and all, but high school coaches don't really cheat when it comes to plays. As much as I love High school, for the willing to adjust and find creativity on offense, I'll say College Football.

Edited by TryNotToSuck