Franklin coach dismissed. Unbelievable!!

runtheball

1 hour ago, runtheball said:

When everything was not about winning at any cost. I just grew up in a different time when that wasn't the only thing sports was about

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/frazzlebrain/202306/why-we-believe-things-are-getting-worse-when-they-arent

Since we're educating:  Why don't you read this article entitled, "Why We Believe Things Are Getting Worse When They Aren’t".

It's a great read.  I think you'd benefit from it.

3 minutes ago, ILB1999 said:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/frazzlebrain/202306/why-we-believe-things-are-getting-worse-when-they-arent

Since we're educating:  Why don't you read this article entitled, "Why We Believe Things Are Getting Worse When They Aren’t".

It's a great read.  I think you'd benefit from it.

I am 73 years old and coached 47 years and always educating myself. Thanks for the article.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, runtheball said:

I am 73 years old and coached 47 years and always educating myself. Thanks for the article.

And i understand that it feels like values have changed around coaches, and maybe it's not all for the better, but a lot is.  

We have fewer Sandusky cover ups than we used to.  We have fewer brain injuries than we used to, and we have a higher graduation rate than we used to.  

Some things do change, but they're not always bad.

2 hours ago, runtheball said:

Interscholastic athletics are not courses offered by schools but are tools used by schools to reach and motivate students and to rally support within the community for schools’ academic and activity programs. (MHSAA) l In order to justify school sponsorship, inter- scholastic athletics must be compatible with the academic mission of schools, giving priority deference to the academic schedule and requiring proper decorum at athletic events. (MHSAA) l Interscholastic athletics are secondary to the academic program of schools and are partners with schools’ non-athletic activities in providing students opportunities to develop loyalty and school spirit, to practice teamwork, hard work, discipline, sacrifice, leadership and sportsmanship and to gain lifetime appreciation for the arts, sports and healthy lifestyle. (MIAA) l Athletics provide a great educational experience because they can teach important values for dealing with the circumstances of life. The values taught through interscholastic athletics include teamwork, sportsmanship and citizenship, respect for self and others, caring, dedication, commitment, trustworthiness, loyalty, responsibility, integrity, fairness, and doing ones’ best regardless of the outcome. These values are often called “intrinsic” because they may not be included in the lesson plans coaches prepare, but they are very much a part of what a successful coach teaches. (IHSAA) l When kept in proper perspective, inter- scholastic athletics allow kids to be kids. Young people grow by learning the values of healthy competition, teamwork, goal setting, respect and hard work. The educational experiences of all participants are enhanced through these values, as everyone strives to be their best as individuals, students, teammates, and members of the community, rather than just as athletes. (MHS

PREACH!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, runtheball said:

High school athletics were to teach values and were just an extension of the school day, Today it is all about winning at any cost. Only way a coach was fired was for unethical behavior. Coaches were men of character and great leaders of young people. Sad how times have changed.

Here's where your vision and mine part ways to some degree. I believe that the program owes it to the student athletes to strive to be the best. If the janitor doesn't keep the school clean, the janitor needs to be replaced. If a teacher's evaluation/scores are "bad" for a period of time, they need to be replaced...ect. I'll invite you to check my posting history about supporting coaches, however to blindly stand behind one man/(woman) and disregard the best interests of all the players is unjust. I've never been one of those who want the coach fired for losing a winnable game or fired for his/her season record, but if the program isn't moving in the right direction after a period (in this case three years) of time I wouldn't exactly criticize the administration for making changes, as long as they were made in an honorable manner and time. My exact thoughts in this case are...

1. That it may have been too soon (after this season) because they have been close against some very stout competition, and nothing negative seemed to be coming from the team.

2. That it was defiantly too soon mid season...probably would cause top notch applicants to be concerned that there's more than meets the eye here, and if they'd trust their prospective employer enough to apply. The eye test says that a good guy was fired without the upside of improving, just making a point to remove him ASAP.

3. That if it was done tactfully after their season was over, I wouldn't personally have given it a second thought much less criticism whether or not I agreed with it, and I doubt if many would have.

4. Finally, the old adage about "any press is good press" is ridiculous in this instance. Not going to hire a "desirable" coach at this point of the season, so why not discreetly make the change at the proper time without putting your name in the marquee lights and make your team's record for the last three years the butt end of everyone's jokes. Inform him now that the change will be made at seasons end if you wish, make a few calls to prospective targets if you have to, but to (no other way to look at it) publicly fire the guy at this point, then give a press release extolling his virtues just made it a clown show and the coach had done nothing to deserve that.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Here's where your vision and mine part ways to some degree. I believe that the program owes it to the student athletes to strive to be the best. If the janitor doesn't keep the school clean, the janitor needs to be replaced. If a teacher's evaluation/scores are "bad" for a period of time, they need to be replaced...ect. I'll invite you to check my posting history about supporting coaches, however to blindly stand behind one man/(woman) and disregard the best interests of all the players is unjust. I've never been one of those who want the coach fired for losing a winnable game or fired for his/her season record, but if the program isn't moving in the right direction after a period (in this case three years) of time I wouldn't exactly criticize the administration for making changes, as long as they were made in an honorable manner and time. My exact thoughts in this case are...

1. That it may have been too soon (after this season) because they have been close against some very stout competition, and nothing negative seemed to be coming from the team.

2. That it was defiantly too soon mid season...probably would cause top notch applicants to be concerned that there's more than meets the eye here, and if they'd trust their prospective employer enough to apply. The eye test says that a good guy was fired without the upside of improving, just making a point to remove him ASAP.

3. That if it was done tactfully after their season was over, I wouldn't personally have given it a second thought much less criticism whether or not I agreed with it, and I doubt if many would have.

4. Finally, the old adage about "any press is good press" is ridiculous in this instance. Not going to hire a "desirable" coach at this point of the season, so why not discreetly make the change at the proper time without putting your name in the marquee lights and make your team's record for the last three years the butt end of everyone's jokes. Inform him now that the change will be made at seasons end if you wish, make a few calls to prospective targets if you have to, but to (no other way to look at it) publicly fire the guy at this point, then give a press release extolling his virtues just made it a clown show and the coach had done nothing to deserve that.

I agree with this. 

7 hours ago, eers said:

I would send my kid to a private school if my other option was to play for a 1-26 program, if I didn’t see changes. There are also kids that are going to private schools regardless of where they live. Many even relocate to go to those private schools. The timing of this may very well be to stop the bleeding and try to keep kids in the building. 

By all accounts there were improvements shown on the field every year. Upon more research, lost 2 starters to Hendersonville prior to the season due to the family moving into their dream home on the lake. 2 starters is enough to tip some of those one score games.

My thoughts:

1. 1-26 is always going to be 1-26 and really not any different from 2-28.

2. Has the team quit him? I say NO!

3. Has the Coach done something unethical or immoral? Again, NO!

4. Who are you going to hire before the end of the regular season? No one.

5. Where are your best candidates going to come from? Playoff teams.

6. Are returning kids going to leave before a new coach is hired? Maybe, if so they were going to leave anyway.

7. Will this make a difference in MS players HS plans? In October?!?!

8. Will this make prospective coaches think twice about this job? It Should!!

The timing just doesn’t add up…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1