Franklin coach dismissed. Unbelievable!!

runtheball

Isn't the major issue the timing of the firing, "the reliving of duties?"

I have not read every post, but have reviewed most of them.  I don't expect every issue to surface in an article or on a thread on Coach T. Unless there is another issue, an unstated reason for the coaching change at this point of the season that has not been revealed, who can say that this was a rational decision at this point in a high school football season?

What is the Superintendent of Williamson County Schools' position on this change? Jason Golden must be willing to make a public statement about this unprecedented change. Has Golden made a public comment?

Are all high school coaches in Williamson County able to be fired - relived of duties -- during a season simply because of a losing record? Is a 1-25 record now the metric for firing high school coaches in Williamson County?

Was the head coach informed of what may happen before the season started?

I would like to see the list of coaches who will apply for this position after this type of decision. Or has the decision already been made about who the next head coach will be?

Edited by BDURHAM

2 hours ago, Hoganknows said:

Great points in this discussion , but at the end of the day 1-26 at an historic school in Wilco Land will most likely get you fired most of the time. 

Williamson co coaching pay is not on par with the rest of the state, to fire a guy mid season at the least talented school in the district is wild. Williamson standards are extremely high and wealthy entitled parents can be a nightmare but there is very little support for athletics at the district level. The district self promotes with various PR campaigns but the coaches are the ones doing the heavy lifting and are paid very little for it. If you wanna have high expectations, the pay needs to reflect it. I have zero issue with an SEC coach getting fired mid season because their salaries are 7 figures. I have a big issue with a head coach getting fired mid season who works year round and gets paid $8000

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The job is posted on the TSSAA site: I cannot imagine any Tennessee high school coach with championship experience or aspirations would apply for any Williamson County high school football coaching position after seeing this institutional behavior.

Who thinks a Tennessee high school coach with championship experience or aspirations would apply for this job after how the school and county's administration has handled this situation?

27 minutes ago, BDURHAM said:

The job is posted on the TSSAA site: I cannot imagine any Tennessee high school coach with championship experience or aspirations would apply for any Williamson County high school football coaching position after seeing this institutional behavior.

Who thinks a Tennessee high school coach with championship experience or aspirations would apply for this job after how the school and county's administration has handled this situation?

I’m not sure about this job, but I’m certain they would apply if several of the other schools were to have an opening…

Brentwood
Independence
Ravenwood
Page
Nolensville

I still believe there is more to this story. That doesn’t mean it will come out, but it just feels that way. 

36 minutes ago, BDURHAM said:

Overreact much? Yes, Franklin def could have handled this situation better, but paint every school in WillCo with the same brush is a bit much. There would be no shortage of quality coaches apply for openings at Brentwood, Ravenwood, Nolensville,  Centennial Indy, Page etc.

Franklin has won 1 game in 3 seasons, they weren't going to get a coach with a title to his name,  at least not at the 5A or 6A level 

Edited by MidTennFootball

5 hours ago, TheLiaison said:

Williamson co coaching pay is not on par with the rest of the state, to fire a guy mid season at the least talented school in the district is wild. Williamson standards are extremely high and wealthy entitled parents can be a nightmare but there is very little support for athletics at the district level. The district self promotes with various PR campaigns but the coaches are the ones doing the heavy lifting and are paid very little for it. If you wanna have high expectations, the pay needs to reflect it. I have zero issue with an SEC coach getting fired mid season because their salaries are 7 figures. I have a big issue with a head coach getting fired mid season who works year round and gets paid $8000

Williamson County finally getting outed for the joke of administration it is. I love it. Is it true that they don’t even get their players during the school day for weight lifting or meetings?

18 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Overreact much? Yes, Franklin def could have handled this situation better, but paint every school in WillCo with the same brush is a bit much. There would be no shortage of quality coaches apply for openings at Brentwood, Ravenwood, Nolensville,  Centennial Indy, Page etc.

Franklin has won 1 game in 3 seasons, they weren't going to get a coach with a title to his name,  at least not at the 5A or 6A level 

They definitely won’t get much attention now. Might find an old dude trying to double dip retirement wise from another state. Nobody from around TN with any sort of experience will apply.

11 minutes ago, memphisfbguru12 said:

Find one person who’s said anything negative about Alex Melton as a person. By every single account, his character is above reproach 

I’m not saying he’s not, I know nothing of the man. I’m simply saying it just feels like there’s more to the story. 

Edited by eers

28 minutes ago, memphisfbguru12 said:

They definitely won’t get much attention now. Might find an old dude trying to double dip retirement wise from another state. Nobody from around TN with any sort of experience will apply.

Firing a coach early isn't going to dissuade a coach from applying for the job. Last out of state "old dude " they hired was Clayton and that worked out pretty well. Despite the record, Franklin is a good job in the hands of the right coach

On 10/4/2023 at 10:56 PM, memphisfbguru12 said:

Got a fraternity brother who coaches over there in Williamson County. After reading about this situation I called him and asked him what was up. He said the county AD is the most hated guy in the county by all the coaches. Apparently he does nothing for the coaches but make their lives harder and takes credit for their accomplishments. Said he’s been coaching in the county for 3 years now and never seen him at a school unless it was a PR opportunity. In regards to the Franklin situation he said they have the worst talent in the league and were hands down the most well coached team but they were so overmatched talent wise it didn’t matter. Said that typically when a county job opens there will be tons of coordinators from within the county apply but none are going to apply for this one due to the vast talent gap and the joke of administration at Franklin firing this guy mid year. Seems like the grass ain’t always greener in Williamson County like everyone makes it out to be.

I’d have to disagree w/your fraternity brother about Coach Joines. Full disclosure, I was his assistant at both Beech and Franklin. If he’s hated then I’d question their reasoning / motives. I believe that his decisions (even when unpopular) are legally, ethically and morally based and the discontent he may receive goes with the territory (title) of his job. He attends several HS & MS boys and girls athletic events, including ones that get zero pub (bowling, golf, tennis, etc). For example, he was at yesterdays TMSAA Volleyball State Title game, congratulations Grassland MS girls! (As well he should, one of his job responsibilities is literally to promote WCS athletics). Lastly, Coach Joines has zero to do with his firing. If people believe that to be true they are giving his title way too much credit, HaHa. Another one of his responsibilities is to release announces, even if unpopular.

As for Coach Melton, it’s an unfortunate situation for the student athletes, coaches, school and alumni. I wish him the best going forward. 

Sorry so long, thanks for reading. 
Coach Anderson