EARLY PLAYOFF TALK: West side of the state- REGIONS 5-8

Chiledeme

8 hours ago, Tigersandcats said:

Hardin County locked up the region championship last week. 
# 1 Hardin County 

# 2 South Gibson County

#3 Northside 

# 4 Lexington 

there is a scenario where if Lexington beats Hardin and Northside loses to Chester then 3 and 4 could flip flop. Think that’s right.

My understanding is the tiebreakers will be  (1) Head to Head win, and (2) Overall record.

If your scenario is correct, Lexington will be the 3 seed (3-2 region record) and Chester County will be the 4 seed (head to head win over North Side.

If Hardin County wins, and Chester County wins, then you'll have North Side, Lexington, and Chester County with a 2-3 region record. All three teams did defeat each other, and lost to each other (example: NS beat Lexington but lost to Chester. Lexington beat Chester but lost to NS. Chester lost to Lexington, but beat NS). Then we will have a three way tie and everything will fall in place like it is currently. North Side is the 3, and Lexington will be the 4.

So, no fireworks will happen unless Lexington wins in Savannah. Which will be tough knowing it'll be Smith's senior night (I think), Hardin County will go for 10-0, and Lexington has a tough time scoring 21 points against good competition (only 19 points in last two games combined).

16 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Do you think Sheffield might take that game?

I don't think so but I haven't seen any video on Sheffield. Last year, Sheffield outscored the 2-4 seeds in their region by 76 points. They have outscored the current 2-4 seeds by only 19 points in 2023. It's also worth noting that Ripley proved last season that they were capable of going to Sheffield as the 4 seed and getting a win. 

48 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

My understanding is the tiebreakers will be  (1) Head to Head win, and (2) Overall record.

If your scenario is correct, Lexington will be the 3 seed (3-2 region record) and Chester County will be the 4 seed (head to head win over North Side.

If Hardin County wins, and Chester County wins, then you'll have North Side, Lexington, and Chester County with a 2-3 region record. All three teams did defeat each other, and lost to each other (example: NS beat Lexington but lost to Chester. Lexington beat Chester but lost to NS. Chester lost to Lexington, but beat NS). Then we will have a three way tie and everything will fall in place like it is currently. North Side is the 3, and Lexington will be the 4.

So, no fireworks will happen unless Lexington wins in Savannah. Which will be tough knowing it'll be Smith's senior night (I think), Hardin County will go for 10-0, and Lexington has a tough time scoring 21 points against good competition (only 19 points in last two games combined).

You are right. I should have looked at everything closer before posting. I thought later I goofed up with my post. IMO everything should stand as it is now . You just never know. Lexington always gives HC fits for whatever reason. It is Smith’s senior year as well. So I know they want to finish the regular season undefeated. Happy to see North Side headed in a positive direction. Region 6 will have their hands full when the playoffs start. Really good teams in region 5. Thanks Try not for clearing up my error.

On 10/24/2023 at 5:58 PM, tennesseeannouncer said:

I don't think so but I haven't seen any video on Sheffield. Last year, Sheffield outscored the 2-4 seeds in their region by 76 points. They have outscored the current 2-4 seeds by only 19 points in 2023. It's also worth noting that Ripley proved last season that they were capable of going to Sheffield as the 4 seed and getting a win. 

Massey predicts

Ripley 35

Sheffield 21

so you are probably right. If Sheffield loses this game, it’s possible that 7-3A could sweep 8-3A. Is 8-3A suffering from the Covid shutdown of Memphis football?

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Is 8-3A suffering from the Covid shutdown of Memphis football?

Great question but I don't know that Covid played an impact. If you look to the last ten years in Region 8-3A you can really only argue that Shelby County had one elite team based on the win/loss record and that was the 2016 and 2017 Raleigh Egypt teams that were bumped in back to back seasons by Covington and Dyersburg. 

And for anyone wanting to talk about Trezevant, they should be erased from all historical records.

I think much of the challenge facing Shelby County programs come from the lack of funding, facilities, and resources. 

10 hours ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

Great question but I don't know that Covid played an impact. If you look to the last ten years in Region 8-3A you can really only argue that Shelby County had one elite team based on the win/loss record and that was the 2016 and 2017 Raleigh Egypt teams that were bumped in back to back seasons by Covington and Dyersburg. 

And for anyone wanting to talk about Trezevant, they should be erased from all historical records.

I think much of the challenge facing Shelby County programs come from the lack of funding, facilities, and resources. 

If they did have all of these, WOW! I think we all could agree that there would be some phenomenal football teams from that area!!

31 minutes ago, TrojanLC said:

Melrose in the early 2000s was sick! They legit had half a dozen D1 guys when we played them at Orange Mound in the first rd in 2002. 

Yes they definitely had the talent. I played against them when they had Cedrick Wilson and Kendall Morehead. That kind of talent is still there in all of the Memphis/Shelby Co. schools!! Just a few pieces of the puzzle, funding, facilities, resources, keeps them from dominating their respective classification. 

12 minutes ago, Dp81 said:

Yes they definitely had the talent. I played against them when they had Cedrick Wilson and Kendall Morehead. That kind of talent is still there in all of the Memphis/Shelby Co. schools!! Just a few pieces of the puzzle, funding, facilities, resources, keeps them from dominating their respective classification. 

They had some talent, no doubt! Does anyone remember if it was Melrose that used to bring their coach to the field in a convertible car. I know it was a Memphis team and thinking it was Melrose.