What about Oakland ?

watermaker

30 minutes ago, chrisburr said:

Riverdale started with the Mantle

The Mantle was passed from Riverdale to Maryville

The Mantle was passed from Maryville to now Oakland

In the Future Oakland will pass it to someone else

I agree except I think Smyrna has something to say from 2005-2008. Those teams get overlooked.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PaPaLegba said:

I agree except I think Smyrna has something to say from 2005-2008. Those teams get overlooked.

I know Smyrna won the 5A title back to back while Maryville was in 4A, which is still impressive, but I'm not sure they should be in the same conversation. They didn't have anywhere near the sustained periods of success that the other 3 had or are currently having. Really you could argue that no one should be in the same conversation as Maryville at this point. As impressive as the run is that Oakland is currently on, Maryville's run has lasted over twice as long.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Congrats to the Freshman team on a good season that ended with a loss in the county championship to Smyrna. Was a great game to watch 

Oakland is the measuring stick around the great state of Tennessee. It looks like Smyrna could have a good group on the horizon. They tend to have great groups over there from time to time. I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.

Maryville, Oakland, & Riverdale have had top programs for different periods of time since the 90s. Riverdale 90s and early 2000s. Maryville 2000-2020, Oakland 2016-Present. Those are the main three and Riverdale is about to be out of that conversation. The privates change too much with their talent for reasons unknown. 

Smaller schools would be Alcoa, Greeneville, & South Pitt(maybe)

5 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

Maryville, Oakland, & Riverdale have had top programs for different periods of time since the 90s. Riverdale 90s and early 2000s. Maryville 2000-2020, Oakland 2016-Present. Those are the main three and Riverdale is about to be out of that conversation. The privates change too much with their talent for reasons unknown. 

Smaller schools would be Alcoa, Greeneville, & South Pitt(maybe)

The only thing I would say on Oakland is that I think it goes back a couple years prior to 2016. McDaniel had them in a great spot when Creasy took over 

14 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

Riverdale had what 9 appearences in 15 years and won it 4-5 times. Smyrna had two years with Sonny Gray and Rod Wilks and then came back down. 

Smyrna went dancing again in 2010 and lost a close one. No Gray or Wilks then either. I agree it is nowhere close to what were seeing from Oakland or particularly Maryville. I do believe for those 5 years Smyrna was the standard in the mid state and the conversation was about "mantle's" being passed. That was a pretty great run they had I think those years have been forgotten a lot though.

3 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

Yes he did I was just basing it off of when they started winning championships. Don't know if McDaniel won any there. Maybe he did.

He did win one but it was back in 2008 in his first year there. They went out in the quarterfinals and semifinals in his last 2 years