Clinton at OR Round 2

CU06

21 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

The difference of the games is that Partin called the first game v Clinton and gave the ball to Dozier 41 times. Like any smart person would do.
Rang tried to be too cute and wanted to prove himself by throwing the ball around and ended up losing the game. 
Good luck next year without all the studs. 

I understand what you are saying, but the passing game was their strength last night. They should’ve threw the ball a little more. Clinton’s pass defense isn’t that great. The run defense has gotten much better throughout the year. Clinton could not stop the deep ball, and it worked almost EVERYTIME that OR tried it.

4 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Yeah, they kept picking on the freshman and he got burned a few times. Lessons learned.

A sophomore DB  thought OR was in cover 2 and they were in man and that last long pass was the final CHS score.

The freshman got burnt earlier for sure.

The only thing I got upset at was CHS last kick  off. The kid can't kick the ball far and when he tried we scored, so they went to the squib kick and why we didn't bring another kid up I can't fathom. They kicked the ball from their 35 and we got it around our 30. That's Fd up. OR should have had that ball around the CHS 45 or the 50. That was just not using your brain stuff.

Several things: First I thought Clinton played well, maybe the best game they could possibly have played. No turnovers lost, only 15 yards in penalties, better execution on offense, using skill players well, better tackling and defense, especially against the run. Only thing, the kicking game remains weak and that could get them in the next round. On the Oak Ridge side, I thought on defense, pass defense was still not good and that had shown up for a couple of weeks, let receivers get behind them for two touchdowns, not good. On offense, I thought OR should have run the ball more, especially when in short yardage and even use more draws and screens. Quarterback didn't seem to be as accurate as he normally is, he did have some pressure and the two blindside hits that caused fumbles may have rattled him some. I thought the game turned the first play of the second half where the quarterback had the ball slapped away and recoverd by Clinton. Although the Dragons did not score on that series, thanks to a great stand by the Wildcat defense, it left OR on its own end of the field most of the second half and another fumble and some short punts kept them there. I think finally the defense tired and Clinton was able to convert short fields to scores and the win. OR kicking, normally good, seemed a little off tonight, punts not as long and shanked one and the field goal at the end, which was within range wasn't close. So as General Neyland used to say, "the team that makes the fewest mistakes wins" and it was that way on Friday night. I did not think the refs were a factor and they pretty much let them play.  Season over for OR, they have a lot of good senoirs to replace for next season, some good players coming back, For Clinton, a home game at Ron Brown against a 10-2 Walker Valley team, with a close loss to Bradley Central (#1 in 6A) in and to East Hamilton, a team with some good athletes like Clinton. It will again take a effort like Clinton turned in Friday night to beat Walker Valley. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 12:33 PM, CaptainGuru said:

Clinton Dragons will not be able to mercy rule Oak Ridge Wildcats in this game. I guarantee it will not happen. Does anyone want to bet? I am Captain Guru and I approve this message. 

I knew it would not happen. I wish someone would have bet me about this game. Clinton Dragons did not mercy rule Oak Ridge Wildcats just like I predicted. I am Captain Guru and I approve this message. 

19 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

I missed this game entirely. If betting I would lose this one by a long shot.. I based this on the Bearden OR game. Now I am wondering about Beardens future 

Just never know what can happen in a playoff game, especially a rivalry game. Clinton literally played about as perfect as a team can play. Zero turnovers to our 2, and I can remember about 2 penalties they got all night. We didn’t get many either, but we had more than 2, (we had 2 really critical penalties that kept drives alive for Clinton, which really hurt) and the turnovers of course killed OR. Yet we were still right there and could’ve won it, but obviously didn’t. But yeah, Clinton played about as perfect as a team can play. Whoever wins the turnover battle in the playoffs, usually wins. They were just the better team on that specific night. I’m sure our kids will be chomping at the bit for about 8+ months waiting to get revenge @ Blankenship next season, and try to start up another streak hopefully. Lol

Edited by SweetScience

6 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Just never know what can happen in a playoff game, especially a rivalry game. Clinton literally played about as perfect as a team can play. Zero turnovers to our 2, and I can remember about 2 penalties they got all night. We didn’t get many either, but we had more than 2, (we had 2 really critical penalties that kept drives alive for Clinton, which really hurt) and the turnovers of course killed OR. Yet we were still right there and could’ve won it, but obviously didn’t. But yeah, Clinton played about as perfect as a team can play. Whoever wins the turnover battle in the playoffs, usually wins. They were just the better team on that specific night. I’m sure our kids will be chomping at the bit for about 8+ months waiting to get revenge @ Blankenship next season, and try to start up another streak hopefully. Lol

That sounds good Sweet. On any given Friday night is so true. Sounds like the best possible outcome for Clinton fell into place, perfectly.

Yep next year. I am wondering how much after this game, will Clinton have left. An emotional game like this is so draining. Maybe they can focus this week.