CPA vs. USJ - Yesterday and Today

CPA4Ever

CPA's first of 5 state titles in football was a victory over USJ 49-27 in 1A class in 2000. I was at the game in Murfreesboro. To this day, I believe it was the best line in CPA's great football history. 4 senior college signees and one junior lineman who signed with Auburn the next year, plus a wide receiver who signed with Florida, then transferred to Furman and played with Ingle Martin there.

But about this week's game. If you are unfamiliar with CPA's team, understand that they have a DOMINATE defense. Don't look at final scores because Ingle has emptied the bench in most games after halftime. With the starters in the game CPA has given up a total of 24 points in the first quarters, and a total of only 33 in the first halves. Only 4 teams have scored on CPA in the first quarter, CPA shut out Pearl in the first half and lost 15-11. Pearl is undefeated, averages 43 per game, and is probably on their way to a state title. 
I know nothing about this year's USJ team but would be surprised if they will score much on CPA defense.

7 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

CPA by as many as Ingle wants it.

And those Brian Stone/Cooper Wallce teams were special no doubt. Where is Pack these days?

He is around. My son played for him and has seen him around town a few times. His daughter graduated from CPA, I believe, a couple of years ago.

5 hours ago, OnlineLC said:

If I remember correctly, CPA also played USJ in the 2002 1A Playoffs in Jackson. CPA then went onto play Boyd Buchanan in the final where CPA stopped Boyd in the final seconds where they were on the CPA 5 yard line with 4 downs. 

You are correct. In 2002, CPA lost their first 3 games, but turned around and beat two of those teams (Ezell Harding and USJ) on the road in the playoffs. 
They beat BB in the championship game 26-20 in OT. They scored on the first play in OT but missed the PAT kick. They then stopped BB 8 straight plays. CPA was called for pass interference on 4th and 10, giving BB 4 more downs from the 5YL. They held three downs then intercepted the second 4th down pass to win.
The BB QB was Will Healy who became head coach at Austin Peay a few years ago and is now an assistant at UCF.