Pearl Cohn vs Upperman

Volsfan52

3 hours ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

This game between Upperman and Pearl Cohn reminds me of 2005. In 2005, Livingston Academy had finished the season 5-5 losing 4 games by a total of like 15 points. They slipped in the playoffs. Made a magical run to make the state championship. They were told David Lipscomb was to good. They were told David Lipscomp had better athletes. They were told David Lipscomp had played better teams.  But something about that Hogeye team was special. Like it was destiny. I get that feel with Upperman. Sometimes, I think it's your time. Maybe it's just me, and none of that destiny stuff matters. But I am old school, and I think it just might matter. 

Not alot of parallels to draw from that game other than the fact that Upperman will be a underdog. The weather will help even the playing  field. Pearl sure isn't Lipscomb and Upperman isn't some .500 team that just got hot at the right time

Have the highest respect for both programs, both are well coached and do things the right way. Upperman does have their motivations, but let's not act like Pearl doesn't either.

Pearl has been right there on the cusp of a title so many times under Brunetti. I'm sure most of the players are aware of what this game means not only to their program, but to Metro going on a 15 year title drought. Brunetti truly embodies everything it means to be a coach. 

I haven't wanted to see a non-Oakland team win this badly since Tullahoma broke through and send John Olive out a winner in 2021. I think Pearl finally gets the monkey off its back and wins 28-20

• Thanks 1

I’m going with the bees. I feel they run the ball and pass if pc fills the box. PC is a great team and they should be the favorite because they played last year. Upperman has found a way to win all year. So I’m still going to go with them. Upperman just can’t get down a lot early in the game. They also can’t get In a shoot out. This should be a really good game.

6 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Not alot of parallels to draw from that game other than the fact that Upperman will be a underdog. The weather will help even the playing  field. Pearl sure isn't Lipscomb and Upperman isn't some .500 team that just got hot at the right time

Have the highest respect for both programs, both are well coached and do things the right way. Upperman does have their motivations, but let's not act like Pearl doesn't either.

Pearl has been right there on the cusp of a title so many times under Brunetti. I'm sure most of the players are aware of what this game means not only to their program, but to Metro going on a 15 year title drought. Brunetti truly embodies everything it means to be a coach. 

I haven't wanted to see a non-Oakland team win this badly since Tullahoma broke through and send John Olive out a winner in 2021. I think Pearl finally gets the monkey off its back and wins 28-20

You are correct, totally diffrent teams, but it's more of a feel thing. The us against the world 

• Like 1

Doing some watching and score comparisons, which can be tricky, I have made a few observations. 

UHS tried to beef up the schedule but some unfortunate things happened. Cookeville refused to play them. Lebanon was a little down this year. Fayetteville didn't have the team they had the last couple years. Whitehouse is not the 90s Whitehouse. 

The 4a region UHS plays in is top to bottom is better than the one PC plays in, in my ooinion. That being said, said Macon is as good or better than anyone on the PC's regular season schedule excluding CPA. MBA didn't have one of thier better teams this year by far. Whitehouse is not what they were back in thier hayday. Playing Greeneville and Macon twice, are two of the top 4-8 teams in 4a.  Fayetteville has 1 maybe two legit d-1  players.  Those two Boarders twins at Macon could play anywhere. As far as size, Smith County the last two seasons is as big as anyone in the state on the OL abd DL. 

I think the problem PC poses, they have big kids like Smith Co. Pc has kids fast like the Boarder twins and those few at Fayetteville and Lebanon, and has some WRs like Greeneville. But all combined on one team.  

If UHS starts slow, or has that one quarter they meltdown in, it's over. If they come out like they did vs Stone and Lebanon.....and can keep it up, it will be a ball game. I beleave this UHS team is better than the team that pushed Alcoa to the wire in the semi's a few years ago. Beat a Greenville team who was tied with Alcoa at the half, and yes I know Alcoa was driving. 

I think if you switched the names to Alcoa, Greeneville, Anderson, or Elizabethton vs PC....the narrative would be diffrent. I get it, UHS is the new kid at the big dance. I just keep thinking it  will be way closer than most are thinking it will be. 

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Doing some watching and score comparisons, which can be tricky, I have made a few observations. 

UHS tried to beef up the schedule but some unfortunate things happened. Cookeville refused to play them. Lebanon was a little down this year. Fayetteville didn't have the team they had the last couple years. Whitehouse is not the 90s Whitehouse. 

The 4a region UHS plays in is top to bottom is better than the one PC plays in, in my ooinion. That being said, said Macon is as good or better than anyone on the PC's regular season schedule excluding CPA. MBA didn't have one of thier better teams this year by far. Whitehouse is not what they were back in thier hayday. Playing Greeneville and Macon twice, are two of the top 4-8 teams in 4a.  Fayetteville has 1 maybe two legit d-1  players.  Those two Boarders twins at Macon could play anywhere. As far as size, Smith County the last two seasons is as big as anyone in the state on the OL abd DL. 

I think the problem PC poses, they have big kids like Smith Co. Pc has kids fast like the Boarder twins and those few at Fayetteville and Lebanon, and has some WRs like Greeneville. But all combined on one team.  

If UHS starts slow, or has that one quarter they meltdown in, it's over. If they come out like they did vs Stone and Lebanon.....and can keep it up, it will be a ball game. I beleave this UHS team is better than the team that pushed Alcoa to the wire in the semi's a few years ago. Beat a Greenville team who was tied with Alcoa at the half, and yes I know Alcoa was driving. 

I think if you switched the names to Alcoa, Greeneville, Anderson, or Elizabethton vs PC....the narrative would be diffrent. I get it, UHS is the new kid at the big dance. I just keep thinking it  will be way closer than most are thinking it will be. 

Great Post!  I think there would be more people picking the Alcoa, Greeneville, Anderson, or Betsy since they have won it all before and all within the last 5 years.  I will say that I thought PC would be the team to beat this year in 4a just knowing what they have back from last year and how they played against the Best AC team they have had. (I had mentioned this before the season even started)

Like I said if Upperman can control the clock and ball game then they have a shot.  Speed can't kill you if it's on the sideline.  Its going to come down to who can execute their game plan the best.  Bee's want a low scoring game where PC is wanting to put up points in a hurry

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

This game between Upperman and Pearl Cohn reminds me of 2005. In 2005, Livingston Academy had finished the season 5-5 losing 4 games by a total of like 15 points. They slipped in the playoffs. Made a magical run to make the state championship. They were told David Lipscomb was to good. They were told David Lipscomp had better athletes. They were told David Lipscomp had played better teams.  But something about that Hogeye team was special. Like it was destiny. I get that feel with Upperman. Sometimes, I think it's your time. Maybe it's just me, and none of that destiny stuff matters. But I am old school, and I think it just might matter. 

I remember Livingston Academy that year. LA had a player at QB that also played Safety. I thought he was the difference in the championship game vs Lipscomb. I think Livingston ran the option and there QB made a lot of good reads to make their offense go. He also was a very physical player on defense. If you didn't get him blocked, he was going to hit you. You really don't see that combination much anymore. An option QB who played both ways.

3 minutes ago, ChickenLittle11 said:

I think PC playing against CPA helps a lot in this matchup CPA has legit 4 D 1 guys 

CPA is drilling Boyd in their championship game. So we know how good they are. We have to get production out of our running game to control the game. Our offensive line has stepped up all year and exceeded my expectations. Can they do it for one more game?

Upperman will have to have one of their strongest defensive games of the season to slow Peral Cohn. The gameplan worked against Greenville, but can we replicate it again with the speed of PC?   I have seen Chaffin air it out and has had success doing it at times. We have committed to this one-dimensional offensive all year, but will this be the game we have to break that mold and balance the offense to give our RB's room to operate?  We have lived on our RB's; do we ride it out to the end or mix it up for a shot at the golden ball? 

A lot of questions going into this one, Upperman is a young squad with a lot of successful years ahead. Good luck gentleman and hold your head high no matter the outcome! 

• Like 2