New BGA Coach

LetMeSpin

2 hours ago, LevisTheFuture8 said:

"Battle Ground Academy made the biggest coaching splash of the Tennessee high school football offseason on Monday." - Tennessean

Not sure that is the biggest splash hire.  Guy doesn't know the DII landscape here at all.  I'm sure he knows X's and O's but it a lot deeper than that.  

8 hours ago, Brave1 said:

Not sure that is the biggest splash hire.  Guy doesn't know the DII landscape here at all.  I'm sure he knows X's and O's but it a lot deeper than that.  

Does not know the d2 landscape for Dickson 2? What exactly does this mean?  Have heard it said before but don’t really follow. 

33 minutes ago, Fnltexas said:

Does not know the d2 landscape for Dickson 2? What exactly does this mean?  Have heard it said before but don’t really follow. 

What he is saying is that he may be the next Nick Saban as far as X's and O's but in D2 you have to have the Jimmys and Joes and he has no connections to bring the athletes in around here. Winning 4 state championships in South Carolina at a 2200 student and closed zoned school 20 years ago means nothing to kids today.

These kids are playing for schools 25-30 miles from their homes.

10 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

What he is saying is that he may be the next Nick Saban as far as X's and O's but in D2 you have to have the Jimmys and Joes and he has no connections to bring the athletes in around here. Winning 4 state championships in South Carolina at a 2200 student and closed zoned school 20 years ago means nothing to kids today.

These kids are playing for schools 25-30 miles from their homes.

That is what I assumed just wanted to clarify. Here is what winning 4 straight championships and being hired away to coach DIV1 college football does mean though... you know the game and can coach.  That seems lost by many.  Lets take a look at the D2 coaching hires of late

Good D2 hires

Baylor: Kimrey hired with no D2 experience yet highly successful HS coach in SC and college.  Won a state championship year 1 i believe for first time in 40 years.  Seems like there are a few kids in the school now

BA:  2 hires ago. Cody White was a moderately successful coach in Texas.  came to BA and won 4 straight title with no D2 back ground

LA: 2 hires ago.  Dilfer.  Got a few kids in the school and created a national program

Boyd Buchanan: Gray Rankin.  Never coached in D2.  year played for a state championship.  Few kids in the school now

Other D2 hires

BA: Jacob Gill.  No D2 experience.  He got kids in the school from all over in 5 months.  SEC talent everywhere.  Yet failed to score more than 20 points in most games and won 2 games.  Was it a lack of kids issue or could not coach issue?

LA: Mawae. No full time d2 experience or HC coaching experience.  One of the deepest rosters in the state so no shortage of talent.  Yet could barely get to 500 record in wins.  Was it a lack of talent or was it coaching?

Ensworth: Roc Batten  D2 blueblood.  No one would argue he was void of talent at Ensworth yet rarely performed at a high level.  Teams underperformed every year.  On offense were terribly coached every year he was there.  Yet loaded with SEC talent

BGA 2 hires ago: Jonas Rodriguez.  D2 blue blood lifer.  Could not get kids in the school and teams were poorly coached.  

So in summary the whole you have to know D2 is a bunch of non sense.  You have to be a great coach.  You know who kids want to play for?  Great coaches!  The focus in D2 for many seems to be acquiring talented football players.  Simply hire a great coach and you will gel the kids.  I would argue there is no more talented Div in the country than D2 football yet i would argue it may be to most poorly coached bc of the thought that you must be a D2 guy.

BGA made the best hire and its not close.  Will the other 2 end up doing well who knows but as of today BGA got the best guy.    

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fnltexas said:

That is what I assumed just wanted to clarify. Here is what winning 4 straight championships and being hired away to coach DIV1 college football does mean though... you know the game and can coach.  That seems lost by many.  Lets take a look at the D2 coaching hires of late

Good D2 hires

Baylor: Kimrey hired with no D2 experience yet highly successful HS coach in SC and college.  Won a state championship year 1 i believe for first time in 40 years.  Seems like there are a few kids in the school now

BA:  2 hires ago. Cody White was a moderately successful coach in Texas.  came to BA and won 4 straight title with no D2 back ground

LA: 2 hires ago.  Dilfer.  Got a few kids in the school and created a national program

Boyd Buchanan: Gray Rankin.  Never coached in D2.  year played for a state championship.  Few kids in the school now

Other D2 hires

BA: Jacob Gill.  No D2 experience.  He got kids in the school from all over in 5 months.  SEC talent everywhere.  Yet failed to score more than 20 points in most games and won 2 games.  Was it a lack of kids issue or could not coach issue?

LA: Mawae. No full time d2 experience or HC coaching experience.  One of the deepest rosters in the state so no shortage of talent.  Yet could barely get to 500 record in wins.  Was it a lack of talent or was it coaching?

Ensworth: Roc Batten  D2 blueblood.  No one would argue he was void of talent at Ensworth yet rarely performed at a high level.  Teams underperformed every year.  On offense were terribly coached every year he was there.  Yet loaded with SEC talent

BGA 2 hires ago: Jonas Rodriguez.  D2 blue blood lifer.  Could not get kids in the school and teams were poorly coached.  

So in summary the whole you have to know D2 is a bunch of non sense.  You have to be a great coach.  You know who kids want to play for?  Great coaches!  The focus in D2 for many seems to be acquiring talented football players.  Simply hire a great coach and you will gel the kids.  I would argue there is no more talented Div in the country than D2 football yet i would argue it may be to most poorly coached bc of the thought that you must be a D2 guy.

BGA made the best hire and its not close.  Will the other 2 end up doing well who knows but as of today BGA got the best guy.    

Well stated.  I would add to that BB recruited middle Tennessee for several years and the idea that he doesn't have an understanding of the region (and state) landscape, in DII-AA specifically, is unlikely at best.

1 hour ago, MaseratiRicky said:

Well stated.  I would add to that BB recruited middle Tennessee for several years and the idea that he doesn't have an understanding of the region (and state) landscape, in DII-AA specifically, is unlikely at best.

Battle Ground Wildcats will be able to recruit good players. The new coach will make them better but they will not be able to mercy rule CPA. It will not happen. I guarantee it. Watch and see. I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.

38 minutes ago, CaptainGuru said:

Battle Ground Wildcats will be able to recruit good players. The new coach will make them better but they will not be able to mercy rule CPA. It will not happen. I guarantee it. Watch and see. I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.

What does it mean to "recruit"?  See that a lot on here.  Just wondering on how its defined by most.  

10 hours ago, CaptainGuru said:

There’s not a school in Tennessee that would mercy rule CPA in recent years… 

8 hours ago, LevisTheFuture8 said:

There’s not a school in Tennessee that would mercy rule CPA in recent years… 

Levisthefuture obviuosly has no workin knowledge of the volunteer states high school football history....

....that or completely different thought on what a mercy rule is than everyone else

Booger just sayin :huh: