TSSAA Officials

Doc931

1 hour ago, creekerballer said:

Saw a good example of this last week in a middle school game. Both the home book keeper and clock keeper got ejected. Honestly, those were probably justified, but the refs definitely didn’t help the situation. Later one of the refs was having an argument with a fan in the stands during play. That should never happen, if the fan said something worth of getting ejected then just toss em, but don’t engage with them in that way. To their credit, they spoke to each other, shook hands and apologized after the game. 

Yes the problem is you can’t really reprimand officials due to the lack of them.  If you had enough referees you should  suspend any referee that ever talks to fans, it’s unacceptable to ever do that.  If it’s a huge problem let administrators handle fans.  Surely in referee training they are told to never address fans but I see it far too often.

2 hours ago, Doc931 said:

The cost I understand the fees are a joke when TSSAA claims they are " non-profit". You do get compensated for drive mileage even though it's not great.

Players, fans, and coaches scream and critique at every level that's not an excuse you know that when you sign up. Fans pay to get in they should be allowed to voice their opinion and cheer on their team. Coaches have the right to "yell" they get paid to win or they lose their jobs... you will still wake up and go to your job the next day. 

Refs have seemed to develop rabbit ears now days. Facilities shouldn't alter how well you call a game. Also, you knew when signing up to officiate rather or not you job would allow to make contest or not. 

Respectfully 

Never paid mileage. Never was told I could be paid mileage. Was asked to umpire games for free for experience. 

People know what they're signing up for? Exactly why people are not signing up. What's your point?

Coaches that yell and complain at the officials aren't coaching. They're being a distraction to their team. I've been a basketball coach for 15+years.

Facilities do matter. When a high school baseball games has to use a portable mound and there is a lake in front of 2nd base so big you literally have to move the base to play it matters how the game is called. Or when you show up to a field and the grass is so high a ground ball wouldn't roll 10 feet it matters. When this is a regular occurrence it matters. 

I said people have to have the job schedule that allows them. Many people don't have they ability to ump due to work.

With that reply I know you've never officiated a game in your life. 

Respectfully.

1 hour ago, 1983 said:

Yes the problem is you can’t really reprimand officials due to the lack of them.  If you had enough referees you should  suspend any referee that ever talks to fans, it’s unacceptable to ever do that.  If it’s a huge problem let administrators handle fans.  Surely in referee training they are told to never address fans but I see it far too often.

Yes, they probably are but not everyone, especially young guys, have the emotional capacity to be called names or be threatened without reacting. It takes a while to grow thick skin for these situations. By the time thick skin is grown they figure out it's not worth it and they leave. 

1 hour ago, warmachine7954 said:

Yes, they probably are but not everyone, especially young guys, have the emotional capacity to be called names or be threatened without reacting. It takes a while to grow thick skin for these situations. By the time thick skin is grown they figure out it's not worth it and they leave. 

Definitely have to have thick skin to referee, you will not be a good referee if you don't.  Do I think fans yell too much, absolutely, but that’s always going to be the case.  If they aren’t threatening or cursing no need for administrators to get involved.

In Tennessee it’s so bad (need for officials) all you have to do is pay t$$aa’s fee to be an official. You don’t have to pass any test or anything (unlike Kentucky I know maybe others). In the association I officiated in, the assigning officer was the issue (reason I got out). Fans are horrible now. They feel their 3-7 dollars gives them the right to berate officials. Their 3-7 dollars gives them the right to cheer for their team/kids and that’s it. 

9 minutes ago, rammerjammer2 said:

In Tennessee it’s so bad (need for officials) all you have to do is pay t$$aa’s fee to be an official. You don’t have to pass any test or anything (unlike Kentucky I know maybe others). In the association I officiated in, the assigning officer was the issue (reason I got out). Fans are horrible now. They feel their 3-7 dollars gives them the right to berate officials. Their 3-7 dollars gives them the right to cheer for their team/kids and that’s it. 

Until schools get more intentional about controlling the crowd then this is a moot point.  It is not the refs job to control the crowd.  Fans yelling at refs is not berating officials unless they are threatening and cursing.  Yelling at refs for bad calls is not going away, just part of sports.

20 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Never paid mileage. Never was told I could be paid mileage. Was asked to umpire games for free for experience. 

People know what they're signing up for? Exactly why people are not signing up. What's your point?

Coaches that yell and complain at the officials aren't coaching. They're being a distraction to their team. I've been a basketball coach for 15+years.

Facilities do matter. When a high school baseball games has to use a portable mound and there is a lake in front of 2nd base so big you literally have to move the base to play it matters how the game is called. Or when you show up to a field and the grass is so high a ground ball wouldn't roll 10 feet it matters. When this is a regular occurrence it matters. 

I said people have to have the job schedule that allows them. Many people don't have they ability to ump due to work.

With that reply I know you've never officiated a game in your life. 

Respectfully.

I officiated for 6 years officiated two sub states... I was paid mileage for travel up to a certain distance like every official get still to this day. 

Never attended a game nor a game that I played in has a coach never not yelled. High school, college and pro level when has a coached never yelled? I currently coach high school basketball (not in this state)  

How do not know what your signing up for? Thats the problem part of the people signing up never played the game or must have never been to a game if they are going to be in their feelings because people yell at them. 

I'm glad to know you no longer ump or officiate games.

Respectfully 

10 hours ago, Doc931 said:

I officiated for 6 years officiated two sub states... I was paid mileage for travel up to a certain distance like every official get still to this day. 

TSSAA officials were NEVER paid for regular season travel prior to last season. And that is still stipulated on you must travel x amount of miles before anything is paid. 

The TSSAA does pay milage for post season contests, but until this season, it was like only 21 or so cents a mile, and only one way. 

If you were paid milage for regular season games prior to last season, that was negotiated by your local association. And if that's the case, good on them! Awesome for local groups to be watching out for their guys like that. 

Edited by crazzyness

Example of refs dong too "good" of a job:

2023 AAA girls tournament semi final between South Side and Elizabethton.

Double overtime game = 48 minutes played.

Number of fouls called, you guessed it...48.

So to all refs of clear conscience, please don't be those refs. Let the kids play some...please.

#HereComesTheCloser