Varsity rosters

ReitzFan

On 12/29/2023 at 12:33 PM, muffin said:

Coaches and fans should do this,are they just darn lazy?

You can't really pin that on fans...some could absolutely do it off the top of their head, but no accountability for accuracy whether accidental or purposeful. In my opinion, it should be required of coaches to have a "standard" roster each season including class, number, height, and usual position.

Edited by tradertwo
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, tradertwo said:

You can't really pin that on fans...some could absolutely do it off the top of their head, but no accountability for accuracy whether accidental or purposeful. In my opinion, it should be required of coaches to have a "standard" roster each season including class, number, height, and usual position.

It's amazing to me how something so simple as a roster can be so difficult. And at the end of the day, programs are only hurting the kids by failing to provide this resource to media or game day personnel.

We just completed an event with 14 teams represented. Sent a message to an AD and got an automated response telling me to not expect a response until January 3rd. Finally received some names from a rep with the team without numbers through a text. Another team turned in a roster with inaccurate numbers assigned to their team. Of course this leads to confusion (and a technical foul) at the event which leads for their fans to assume the problem was on the end of the host school.

And on another note, we're about to enter 2024. Schools should have a logo in their portfolio. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I would not bother a coach for this! The coach has enough going on. All School have an Athletic Director. Contact the Athletic Director and they should take care of that. I don't see this as being a coach's responsibility to make sure the radio guys have a roster. He/She really don't have time to be worried about that. Teach all day, grade assignments, prep students for testing, practice, watch film, game plan, etc... I would say getting the radio a roster is pretty low on the list. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I would not bother a coach for this! The coach has enough going on. All School have an Athletic Director. Contact the Athletic Director and they should take care of that. I don't see this as being a coach's responsibility to make sure the radio guys have a roster. He/She really don't have time to be worried about that. Teach all day, grade assignments, prep students for testing, practice, watch film, game plan, etc... I would say getting the radio a roster is pretty low on the list. 

I agree

1 hour ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I always first go to the schools AD or athletic secretary. Unfortunately,  too many of then say they have to get it from the coach! You have a roster printed up and on file at the beginning of the season. A request from media comes in a few times a year. How hard can it be to send an email? It's not like they have to type up a new one and mail it. Make your numerical roster available on the TSSAA web site. That should be required. Make it available on other sites as well. Then coaches would not have the heavy burden of sending a roster to a media outlet trying to give his/her team coverage. 

Just sat down to type up score sheets using a roster that was sent to me this afternoon for a girls game on Tuesday (tomorrow). You guessed it.  Another roster with no numbers!!!!!

What do these coaches think they are gaining by doing this garbage? The thing is, the roster in question came from a long time and well respected coach who knows better!!!

On 1/5/2024 at 11:20 AM, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I'm not arguing that a coach be responsible for "creating" a roster and delivering it to the other team for each game...I'm saying that basketball coaches have from July to practice the team and set their lineup... surely  they can compile a list of players that are members of the team with grade, position, height, and jersey number between July and November! The AD should have every head coaches roster on file and be able to forward the roster on demand. If that's too much to ask, someone isn't too proficient at their job.

4 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I'm not arguing that a coach be responsible for "creating" a roster and delivering it to the other team for each game...I'm saying that basketball coaches have from July to practice the team and set their lineup... surely  they can compile a list of players that are members of the team with grade, position, height, and jersey number between July and November! The AD should have every head coaches roster on file and be able to forward the roster on demand. If that's too much to ask, someone isn't too proficient at their job.

Bingo to the above post! I will also say that in all my years covering sports in West Tennessee,  I have NEVER received a roster from a football coach that was not numbered numerically correct. It is a BASKETBALL problem!

I don't see this as a coach responsibility during the season. I see this clearly an Athletic Director responsibility. The coach gives the information to the AD and from that point forward the AD should communicate with outside people. When I was teaching (Not Coaching) I had a ton of emails to answer everyday, lesson plans, evaluations, exams, parent meetings, grading work, teaching, etc... every day. I could not imagine being a coach on top of all that. So I think you are wrong slamming coaches for not getting the radio guys a roster. you should be slamming AD's

1 hour ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I don't see this as a coach responsibility during the season. I see this clearly an Athletic Director responsibility. The coach gives the information to the AD and from that point forward the AD should communicate with outside people. When I was teaching (Not Coaching) I had a ton of emails to answer everyday, lesson plans, evaluations, exams, parent meetings, grading work, teaching, etc... every day. I could not imagine being a coach on top of all that. So I think you are wrong slamming coaches for not getting the radio guys a roster. you should be slamming AD's

I first try to go to the visiting teams radio station once I see who they have played. Most of the time, I have that persons contact information, and they will send it to me and I will reciprocate if needed.  If that doesn't work, I will go through the principal/AD, and then the coach.  If no school personal AD or Coach wants to send then I will try and get it from scorer night of game.  If that doesn't work, and the coach doesn't take a couple of minutes to email it back, that is on him.  I would hate for one his or her players to go for 40 and all the crowd knows  is a number.  (This coming from a former coach in football and baseball).  

And I agree, football is way easier than basketball. 

5 minutes ago, VOLnWTN said:

I first try to go to the visiting teams radio station once I see who they have played. Most of the time, I have that persons contact information, and they will send it to me and I will reciprocate if needed.  If that doesn't work, I will go through the principal/AD, and then the coach.  If no school personal AD or Coach wants to send then I will try and get it from scorer night of game.  If that doesn't work, and the coach doesn't take a couple of minutes to email it back, that is on him.  I would hate for one his or her players to go for 40 and all the crowd knows  is a number.  (This coming from a former coach in football and baseball).  

And I agree, football is way easier than basketball. 

100% it is bad wrong if the school AD cannot provide names and numbers for the radio. That is just taking care of the kids IMO. I'm just saying I don't think slamming the coach is right. Slam the AD. I think the AD is derelict in their duties if they don't provide this. 

I was at a tournament after Christmas where a team was assessed an administrative technical foul because the printed roster supplied by the coach had inaccurate information. Numbers didn't match the players. Even gave his own scorer bad information. I would give a pass at the beginning of the season or if you had a transfer during the season. But once we've cleared Christmas and entering districts you need to do better. 

Fortunately most everyone is in district play and in our district all of the radio crews can work behind the scenes to make sure everyone is covered.