Region Tournament Games Should Be Held on Neutral Courts.

This is a message I sent to the head of TSSAA:

I am concerned about schools having a huge home court advantage in basketball for region games. 
I understand your connection with East Robertson, but that should not be a factor in this.
East Robertson hosts the region every other year. That doesn't help the E.R. girls' team, but it certainly gives the boys a huge advantage. 
With Greenbriar, Springfield and White House Heritage nearby, any of those schools should hold the region so that the region tournament gives no school a huge advantage. Or, there must be other schools available east of East Robertson which would cut down on District 7 schools' travel.
Cross Plains is a 2-hour drive from Clarkrange for example.
I hope that TSSAA will correct this huge unfair advantage that East Robertson and other schools have had. Monterey also hosted the region last year. I am sure there are other schools doing the same thing.
7A never allows a member school to host. Our teams have played at Jackson County, White County and Livingston.

Edited by bobcatfan#1
correction

• bobcatfan#1 changed the title to Region Tournament Games Should Be Held on Neutral Courts.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with that.... all the T$$AA cares about is money.   They will let any school host it as long as they think they are getting the best gate.    

For the record I agree with you.  In a perfect world all tournament games starting in the region would be neutral site.  But that isn't going to stuff the pockets of said organization.  

47 minutes ago, Alumn89 said:

Good luck with that.... all the T$$AA cares about is money.   They will let any school host it as long as they think they are getting the best gate.    

For the record I agree with you.  In a perfect world all tournament games starting in the region would be neutral site.  But that isn't going to stuff the pockets of said organization.  

That is not true.  A school must have a required seating capacity to host region tournament.  In addition, I think the region rotates yearly from one district to the next.  Also, I believe a central location must be determined where no school must travel over 100 miles for a region game one way but I’m not 100% sure about the mileage.  In a perfect setup a central location would be picked to disallow a school from playing on their home floor for region tournament games but unfortunately it not feasible for all regions to have a venue available that is not a school within the region.  That’s why you get schools hosting region games at their home gym.  

2 hours ago, bobcatfan#1 said:

I am concerned about schools having a huge home court advantage in basketball for region games. 
I understand your connection with East Robertson, but that should not be a factor in this.
East Robertson hosts the region every other year. That doesn't help the E.R. girls' team, but it certainly gives the boys a huge advantage. 
With Greenbriar, Springfield and White House Heritage nearby, any of those schools should hold the region so that the region tournament gives no school a huge advantage. Or, there must be other schools available east of East Robertson which would cut down on District 7 schools' travel.
I hope that TSSAA will correct this huge unfair advantage that East Robertson and other schools have had. Monterey also hosted the region last year. I am sure there are other schools doing the same thing.
7A never allows a member school to host. Our teams have played at Jackson County, White County and Livingston.

In Alabama all region games are played at a neutral site which is a college arena. Makes for NCAA like atmosphere. Schools get out of school for it to help with the attendance. Gives the kids a chance to play on a stage being in a college arena. 

I know the upper Cumberland schools played at Tech the last couple of years for district and region would be great for the state to implement this statewide there are plenty of colleges to pick from to make this happen. 

3 hours ago, Orangeslide said:

That is not true.  A school must have a required seating capacity to host region tournament.  In addition, I think the region rotates yearly from one district to the next.  Also, I believe a central location must be determined where no school must travel over 100 miles for a region game one way but I’m not 100% sure about the mileage.  In a perfect setup a central location would be picked to disallow a school from playing on their home floor for region tournament games but unfortunately it not feasible for all regions to have a venue available that is not a school within the region.  That’s why you get schools hosting region games at their home gym.  

why do you think they have a required seating capacity ? You'll say so fans have a seat.     fans =   money. 

they make each district submit multiple sites so they can choose the one they see fit.   aka... the one where the most fans don't have to travel far ..... aka... $.         I'm aware of the rules.   Nothing I said was wrong. 

in West TN the school that host the district tournament also host the region tournament if it is that district's turn to host region. I have seen some packed little gyms for region tournament. I don't know what the capacity is but I remember a couple of years ago at South Gibson when they hosted region and it was a great atmosphere, great facilities, they seemed to do a great job hosting but it is a relatively small gym for a region site.  What is capacity requirements for hosting region? 

Copied my answer from the same topic in the girls thread:

A trusted media source told me that region tournament sites are determined by:

1. Site has to be within a so-and-so drive time of all schools within the region. (can't remember the exact time length)
  2. Gym has to be able to hold expected number of fans.

That's why in Region 1-4A, the region tournament is held at either Daniel Boone, Dobyns-Bennett, Morristown East or Jefferson County.  This year it's at Morristown East.

Boone and D-B are just inside that driving range for District 2 schools, West Ridge and Science Hill are just outside of it.

Jeff County and East are inside that driving range for District 1 schools, Sevier County isn't and Morristown West gym is too small.

On 1/10/2024 at 7:44 AM, TribalEmpire said:

Copied my answer from the same topic in the girls thread:

A trusted media source told me that region tournament sites are determined by:

1. Site has to be within a so-and-so drive time of all schools within the region. (can't remember the exact time length)
  2. Gym has to be able to hold expected number of fans.

That's why in Region 1-4A, the region tournament is held at either Daniel Boone, Dobyns-Bennett, Morristown East or Jefferson County.  This year it's at Morristown East.

Boone and D-B are just inside that driving range for District 2 schools, West Ridge and Science Hill are just outside of it.

Jeff County and East are inside that driving range for District 1 schools, Sevier County isn't and Morristown West gym is too small.

What is the minimum capacity of the gym for region tournaments?

On 1/9/2024 at 11:58 AM, bobcatfan#1 said:

Hypothetically - So if Springfield let's say is not advancing to the Region, then you want another region to host their tournament at Springfield?  You want Springfield personell to be there to hold concessions, do gate, open the doors, setup, clean the gym, lock up, etc.  

On 1/9/2024 at 11:58 AM, bobcatfan#1 said:

Quit your whining! ER got blew out in their home region game against Clay County in 2022 and followed that up the next year by beating PC in the championship at a neutral sight the next year. If the team can play they will play no matter where it’s at. 

On 1/12/2024 at 9:21 AM, WestTNHoopsFan said:

What is the minimum capacity of the gym for region tournaments?

1’000 for A, AA, and II-A; 1’250 for AAA; 1’500 for AAAA. This applies to all levels except the region quarterfinals (home sites). (1’250 is also listed for II-AA, but that class doesn’t have region tournaments.)