Pemberton Leaves Rhea for Campbell County

On 1/27/2024 at 11:46 AM, HTV said:

Going to be quite an adjustment for the folks at CC going from Justin Price's offense to the winged t.  

That said, Campbell County has already lost a couple of its better players to AC and word is that several more are leaving.  If the offensive philosophy is going to change, now is the time to do it.  

Pemberton knows the winged t like few others do.  If the kid buy in it might eventually work.  

I heard 4 ended up at AC. Hensley the QB, The big tack Dorton and his brother, and the Carroll kid

Edited by haweanbula

6 hours ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

Pemberton lost some of the RC faithful when he changed his whole offensive scheme to try and show off his son. It did not work well at all.

I don't get to follow Rhea Co. Football all the time but l thought Coach Pemberton was a believer in the Wing-T. Did he change his offensive philosophy lately. When did his son play for Rhea Co., and what offense did Coach Pemberton change to?

1 hour ago, BigTime1950 said:

I don't get to follow Rhea Co. Football all the time but l thought Coach Pemberton was a believer in the Wing-T. Did he change his offensive philosophy lately. When did his son play for Rhea Co., and what offense did Coach Pemberton change to?

Started trying to throw the ball more cause son was the QB. ‘17ish I think. 

11 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

It only changed with the personnel you had for that game. When he had the tight end that signed with Memphis - it was more of a Power T utilizing the tight end more. When the season began and you had five or six healthy backs it was Wing T all the way. By the eighth or ninth game and injuries piling up it needed to switch over to an two backs i-formation. In the playoffs - you were facing teams with a lot more depth and players not needing to play both ways - you had to pass more. At times - they have had great qbs that throw a little but that's not the bread - n - butter. If you can run it for 7-8 yards a pop why would you ever throw the ball? 

Under Pemberton, Rhea has never thrown very much because that just doesn’t fit his coaching philosophy. I believe they threw the ball more the years before Pemberton’s son was QB - when they had Dotson at QB and Noel Patterson at receiver. 
As EagleVolSteeler stated they lined up in more of an old school “straight” T formation and ran 2 tight ends for a while.  Zach Pemberton did carry the ball quiet a bit because they ran a lot of triple option out of that formation.

the last couple of years Pemberton did move to some I formation backfield sets because they featured the very talented Ethan Davis at running back, but Pemberton is primarily an old school double wing T guy. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, atrisk said:

If you ran it for 7-8 yards a pop why would you ever lose.

You can run the ball with success and control the clock and Ethan Davis avg about 150 yards a game over his career. But you also have to play defense and have great special teams and a great kicking game. Maryville was excellent in all phases of that. That was why they were such a successful team. But Rhea had some deep runs in the playoffs just came up a little short and ran into some really good qbs and def. Lines and secondaries. 

Edited by EagleVolSteeler

7 hours ago, atrisk said:

Fair enough. At 7-8 yards a play seems the ball control would be the defense. Looking forward to the change at CC.

In the playoffs - Ran up against Knox West’s Nathan Cottrell who signed with Georgia Tech. Tough back. Also lost to Sevier Co.’s Deuce Wallace that signed with Vandy. And Jordyn Potts (Tenn Tech) and Walter Nolan (A&M -Ole Miss) were at Knox Powell when we lost to them. They also had a Div. 1 WR. - one thing I will add is Coach Pemberton will not back down from scheduling any team. Just give him time. 

*Ronnie Cottrell was involved with UAlabama. Freudian slip

Edited by EagleVolSteeler

1 minute ago, EagleVolSteeler said:

In the playoffs - Ran up against Knox West’s Ronnie Cottrell who signed with Georgia Tech. Tough back. Also lost to Sevier Co.’s Deuce Wallace that signed with Vandy. And Jordyn Potts (Tenn Tech) and Walter Nolan (A&M -Ole Miss) were at Knox Powell when we lost to them. They also had a Div. 1 WR. - one thing I will add is Coach Pemberton will not back down from scheduling any team. Just give him time. 

Nathan Cottrell.  

• Thanks 1