Pemberton Leaves Rhea for Campbell County

If anyone from Rhea County sees this do not hire Tom Morrell. He puts his name out there to almost every opening and does nothing but destroy programs. He helped destroy my beloved Trojans and jumped ship before is sunk. I know he is trying to get out of Rockwood from what I was told.  Their best hire will be from somewhere else to bring in something fresh to the area. They have everything a coach could ask for, don't ruin it by hiring him. 

If I’m not mistaken, I think Campbell County school system pays the head football coach a 12 month salary as a teacher, in addition they pool the coaching supplement into 1 lump sum, and the head coach can dictate how much assistants make.  Not sure what the lump sum would be for Pemberton but I’m sure he got the money he wanted. I think it would be safe to say he is probably making 10,000 more than he did at Rhea if not more.  CC could not have made a better hire, there is a couple of assistants still there that I think Pemberton will keep. Not sure if he is bringing anyone would him from Rhea, but I would say he has the option of bringing at least 1 with him.  They will find a teaching position for that person within the school. His biggest challenge will to be to get better on defense.  They were really bad on that side of the ball this year. I think he will keep most of his players once he gets his culture established.  In addition, the numbers were way down this year for a 5A program, maybe mid 40,s. Hopefully, he can get more kids out for football.  The two feeder schools, one is decent and the other is really bad in football.  

Edited by Orangeslide
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Orangeslide said:

If I’m not mistaken, I think Campbell County school system pays the head football coach a 12 month salary as a teacher, in addition they pool the coaching supplement into 1 lump sum, and the head coach can dictate how much assistants make.  Not sure what the lump sum would be for Pemberton but I’m sure he got the money he wanted. I think it would be safe to say he is probably making 10,000 more than he did at Rhea if not more.  CC could not have made a better hire, there is a couple of assistants still there that I think Pemberton will keep. Not sure if he is bringing anyone would him from Rhea, but I would say he has the option of bringing at least 1 with him.  They will find a teaching position for that person within the school. His biggest challenge will to be to get better on defense.  They were really bad on that side of the ball this year. I think he will keep most of his players once he gets his culture established.  In addition, the numbers were way down this year for a 5A program, maybe mid 40,s. Hopefully, he can get more kids out for football.  The two feeder schools, one is decent and the other is really bad in football.  

He was making close to 100k at Rhea, did CC really go that much higher? If Pemb were to bring any assistant it  would be his O-line coach Romero, that is his right hand man. Two things that stick out from your post, Pemb doesn't touch the defense so if that is a challenge that is not good, also 40some players is not enough for his system. He drives players into the ground and injuries pile up. He's use to having twice that at Rhea so he uses the freshman as tackling dummies.  

All that said he does know the Wing-T better than anyone, and it's tough to gameplan for that in any given week when most teams now go spread. 

4 hours ago, EagleVolSteeler said:

In the playoffs - Ran up against Knox West’s Ronnie Cottrell who signed with Georgia Tech. Tough back. Also lost to Sevier Co.’s Deuce Wallace that signed with Vandy. And Jordyn Potts (Tenn Tech) and Walter Nolan (A&M -Ole Miss) were at Knox Powell when we lost to them. They also had a Div. 1 WR. - one thing I will add is Coach Pemberton will not back down from scheduling any team. Just give him time. 

Is that Nathan Cottrell's grand daddy?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, EagleVolSteeler said:

In the playoffs - Ran up against Knox West’s Ronnie Cottrell who signed with Georgia Tech. Tough back. Also lost to Sevier Co.’s Deuce Wallace that signed with Vandy. And Jordyn Potts (Tenn Tech) and Walter Nolan (A&M -Ole Miss) were at Knox Powell when we lost to them. They also had a Div. 1 WR. - one thing I will add is Coach Pemberton will not back down from scheduling any team. Just give him time. 

And he ran into a really tough Central squad last year.

5 hours ago, EagleVolSteeler said:

Got beat at his own brand of tight box running game by Lenoir City last year. Anxious to see how LC and CC will work out this year with similar offensive styles 

Just now, Fandom101 said:

Did Pemberton and Rhea hang a 50 burger on anybody last year? They certainly did not hang one on Central.

I was told a popular theory that makes some sense to me.  One coach told me that Pemberton will stay at a school until the other coaches in the area figure out how to defend what he's doing.  When they figure out how to stop his offense, he leaves.  

1 hour ago, Random1234 said:

He was making close to 100k at Rhea, did CC really go that much higher? If Pemb were to bring any assistant it  would be his O-line coach Romero, that is his right hand man. Two things that stick out from your post, Pemb doesn't touch the defense so if that is a challenge that is not good, also 40some players is not enough for his system. He drives players into the ground and injuries pile up. He's use to having twice that at Rhea so he uses the freshman as tackling dummies.  

All that said he does know the Wing-T better than anyone, and it's tough to gameplan for that in any given week when most teams now go spread. 

He surely ran Ethan Davis into the ground. By the end of the year it was hard to watch. I think he wore out his welcome at RC.    As always......................GO EAGLES!

3 hours ago, Random1234 said:

I heard years ago that The Baylor School would only play Rhea as the season opener because the Wing T was so different and they would have multiple weeks to practice for it. We lost to them twice. It was like playing a college team. Competitive first half.