Georgia Sectionals......

RMC

If anyone is interested the Georgia Sectional results are available on Track Wrestling.  Just search for GHSA in events.

Things I heard or learned from yesterday:

• GHSA is doing away with the 7A classification next year...guess they'll have 1A - 6A
  • Only 6 qualifiers from each sectional go to state - 1 and 2 seeds get a bye at state (used to be 8 qualified)
  • Buford and Camden County got all 14 to state
  • Buford might be interested in Cleveland Duals or Father Ryan Tournament next year.  Evidently 2 of the December tournaments they go to are on same weekend next year.
  • Last odd thing I heard from a parent........if a Georgia kids wrestles a Tennessee 8th grader they are DQ'd by GHSA for the remainder of the year.  The dad said they had to forfeit a weight class to McCallie this year.  I'm wondering if this is really true. 

7 minutes ago, RMC said:

If anyone is interested the Georgia Sectional results are available on Track Wrestling.  Just search for GHSA in events.

• GHSA is doing away with the 7A classification next year...guess they'll have 1A - 6A
  • Only 6 qualifiers from each sectional go to state - 1 and 2 seeds get a bye at state (used to be 8 qualified)
  • Buford might be interested in Cleveland Duals or Father Ryan Tournament next year.  Evidently 2 of the December tournaments they go to are on same weekend next year.
  • Last odd thing I heard from a parent........if a Georgia kids wrestles a Tennessee 8th grader they are DQ'd by GHSA for the remainder of the year.  The dad said they had to forfeit a weight class to McCallie this year.  I'm wondering if this is really true. 

It is true, they had to forfeit McCallie tournament final to Villers but wrestled an exhibition instead and Villers beat the Georgia pretty badly. 

1 hour ago, cobrakid8 said:

It is true, they had to forfeit McCallie tournament final to Villers but wrestled an exhibition instead and Villers beat the Georgia pretty badly. 

Yes......that's what the guy said....pinned quick....

I just didn't know that was rule...

Seems like if they're legal at the location they're wresting it should be ok.  

Edited by RMC

That is what happens when you put a softball coach in charge of wrestling for the GHSA. Not allowed to wrestle during "school hours" not allowed to attend an out of state tournament that isn't approved by the GHSA even if it's approved by the national federation. And of course worst of all the before mentioned 8th grader rule. 

3 hours ago, RMC said:

NC wrestling is going to be really interesting when they go to 8 classes. Have no clue how they will do it. 1a in NC only has 8 kids in the individual state bracket. 2a, 3a and 4a get 16 kids in each class right now. Individual states is Saturday at the Greensboro Coliseum. 

Yea.....1A here used to be a 8 man the bracket.  I helped run the state tournament for more than 10 years here.....then work got in the way. Hope to do again when I retire.

The goal for regionals and sectionals was to get to 16 man brackets for everyone, shorten the number of the days for the State tournament, and thus reduce the cost of the venue rental.  It's been a while for me, but I think when there were 5 classifications 5A had 76 schools....but every time I turn around now there's a new school.  I honestly don't know if they're going back to 5 or 6. 

I loved it when we had the tournament at the Gwinnett Arena, but could never get them to open the Jack Daniels concession stand.

Of note.....the prior GHSA official that was always at and over the state tournament was Gary Phillips.  Gary was a HUGE wrestling fan.  He was also Herschel Walker's high school football coach.  He wrote every person that worked the state tournament a nice thank you letter.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RMC said:

Yea.....1A here used to be a 8 man the bracket.  I helped run the state tournament for more than 10 years here.....then work got in the way. Hope to do again when I retire.

The goal for regionals and sectionals was to get to 16 man brackets for everyone, shorten the number of the days for the State tournament, and thus reduce the cost of the venue rental.  It's been a while for me, but I think when there were 5 classifications 5A had 76 schools....but every time I turn around now there's a new school.  I honestly don't know if they're going back to 5 or 6. 

I loved it when we had the tournament at the Gwinnett Arena, but could never get them to open the Jack Daniels concession stand.

Of note.....the prior GHSA official that was always at and over the state tournament was Gary Phillips.  Gary was a HUGE wrestling fan.  He was also Herschel Walker's high school football coach.  He wrote every person that worked the state tournament a nice thank you letter.  

NC is 3 days starting the 15th. 1a starts on the 16th. Finals is on the 17th Saturday. I’ll go watch Saturday finals. They do a pretty good job putting on a good show and tournament. Got 2 kids going for 4 time state champions. Cam Stinson in 4a undefeated record in high school UNC commit. Kage Williams in 1a only loss in high school was a medical forfeit App St commit.

That many classes just looks silly IMO. Maybe im too old but having 8 state champions in the same weight class is ridiculous. I come from a time period where there was a single state champion from each weigh class, and being a state champion meant quite a bit. Im not saying thats the right way... but now, with so many classes in some of these states, its turning into participation trophies.

Just my two cents.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ImYourHuckleberry said:

That many classes just looks silly IMO. Maybe im too old but having 8 state champions in the same weight class is ridiculous. I come from a time period where there was a single state champion from each weigh class, and being a state champion meant quite a bit. Im not saying thats the right way... but now, with so many classes in some of these states, its turning into participation trophies.

Just my two cents.

I agree. When I wrestled in NC 1a/2a was together and then you had 3a and 4a. 1a/2a was really tough which made it fun. I believe they will have to combine classes for wrestling. 

1 hour ago, ImYourHuckleberry said:

Just my two cents.

Just like Tennessee having 3 state champions per weight classification is ridiculous.  It's nothing more than a way to make more people feel good about themselves.  Blame the YMCA, because they are the ones that began the trend of passing out participation trophies.  Back in the day youth had to win a championship to receive a trophy.  

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, cbg said:

Just like Tennessee having 3 state champions per weight classification is ridiculous.  It's nothing more than a way to make more people feel good about themselves.  Blame the YMCA, because they are the ones that began the trend of passing out participation trophies.  Back in the day youth had to win a championship to receive a trophy.  

If California can do it........I think we could all probably do it.....

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, RMC said:

If California can do it........I think we could all probably do it.....

Having lived in California many years ago I will say that there are many things about the state that I do not approve of, but they do know how to do high school wrestling.