TSSAA BASKETBALL TOURNEY

alessic7

TSSAA Tournament setup for 2024 AAAA basketball is a complete cash grab; they should be ashamed. Post-season seeding was based on how teams finished in their district tournaments, rendering the entire regular season meaninigless. A team like Centennial finishes 3rd (10-4) in regular season in a very competitive region 10 but is upset in the first round of a single-game district tournament and misses out on post season play? First round Independence is playing a 6-23 Lincoln County team?

Last year, the single district champ moved on to sub-state; a way more efficient model.

How is it a Cash Grab?  I mean if you think about the NCAA tournament, teams go 20-6 and then play a 13-17 team and lose, do you think they would be arguing they had a good regular season and should've played someone else?  Tournament time is the best time to shine and regular season means nothing during tournament play.  I'm just saying!!  

I am not sure what alessic7's point is. The teams play all year to get seeded in the district tournament. Then how you finish in the district tournament is how you are seeded in the regional. Maybe he would like to try how most states run their state tournaments. In Illinois you are seeded by the coaches into regionals. If you have a good year you are seeded higher. One loss and you are out no second chance or third chance like in Tenn. In one regional this year in Illinois i saw three of the top 6 rated teams in the state in the same regional. I did see in Illinois that one conference had 4 teams playing for a regional title. I think there is merit for both ways to run a state tournament. In Tenn. if you have a bad game in the district  you are not eliminated.

18 hours ago, alessic7 said:

TSSAA Tournament setup for 2024 AAAA basketball is a complete cash grab; they should be ashamed. Post-season seeding was based on how teams finished in their district tournaments, rendering the entire regular season meaninigless. A team like Centennial finishes 3rd (10-4) in regular season in a very competitive region 10 but is upset in the first round of a single-game district tournament and misses out on post season play? First round Independence is playing a 6-23 Lincoln County team?

Last year, the single district champ moved on to sub-state; a way more efficient model.

Have no idea what you mean by a single district champ moved on to sub-state last year? Only the region winner and runner ups move on to sub state and it’s been that way for years. 

IDK if those in this thread followed last year. My alma mater (Indy)  won the district tournament last season and immediately went to play Hillsboro for a regional champ to determine seeding for state tourney. 4 teams from each district did not advance.

And honestly, could care less about how it's been done in the past. Reward the totality of the regular season or reward teams for how they play in a 4 day tournament??

3 minutes ago, alessic7 said:

IDK if those in this thread followed last year. My alma mater (Indy)  won the district tournament last season and immediately went to play Hillsboro for a regional champ to determine seeding for state tourney. 4 teams from each district did not advance.

And honestly, could care less about how it's been done in the past. Reward the totality of the regular season or reward teams for how they play in a 4 day tournament??

They did get rewarded.... They got the chance to play another game , they had another opportunity... Prime example here in RuCo girls games last night.  Cookeville was like 26-4 on 10-0  and number 4 in the state on the season and lost to 18-11  or 7-1 Oakland and will be setting at home as did Lebanon 24-9 lose to 18-8 Blackman. You play that well in the season you get a chance to play for a championship. You gotta bring your best every game, or you get to go home and watch on tv.... Not everyone is gonna get a capri-sun ana trophy. Don't mean that in a sarcastic tone, I am reminded there are a lot of great player who never get the chance, just like life. Being good is only part of the formula for success.. so is being prepared and being lucky. 

25 minutes ago, alessic7 said:

Yes, four teams from each district did advance... they were seeded by their finish in district tourney play for regional matchups. Regular season determines matchups for district tournament, which in turn seeds the regional, and regionals decides which two play for a spot in the championship blind draw tournament. Not only that, but who plays the sub-state or sectional game at home and who has to travel. Every game has the potential to change a teams placement, matchup, and game site...don't really know how it could be done any better.

48 minutes ago, alessic7 said:

Independence did not immediately advance to play Hillsboro following the district last year. A quick glance at their schedule from last season on here shows they played  Brentwood and then Nolensville in the quarterfinals and semifinals of the regional tournament before playing Hillsboro. 

On another side of the this.. Why doesn't TN go to the format like some states have in place where they actually play at a neutral site for region games instead of in high school gyms creating home court advantages for host schools. Like in Alabama they have 4 regional sites Wallace State CC, Jacksonville State, and two Arenas located in Birmingham and the other in Montgomery. All 7 classifications play one of the 4 sites based on the location of your region. It's just like the March Madness format... They play during the school day which is an incentive for those involved because the student bodies are all excused from school which makes the environment absolutely electric. 

The White Co, Cumberland County teams play their district tourney at Tennessee Tech btw.

TSSAA could easily allow for colleges around the state to bid on being a host or offering them money off the gate or concession if they host. UTC, Tech, UT Martin, ETSU, UTK, Nashville area colleges have plenty of options.... Smaller colleges - Bethel, LMU, etc 

Do away with substate as well just make the Glasshouse the Final Four

3 hours ago, alessic7 said:

No they didn’t.

1st rd regions  beat Brentwood 55-44

2nd rd regions beat Nolensville 63-32

region championship beat Hillsboro 54-50

Hosted sectional and beat Greenhiils 46-42

same format it’s been forever