Good Coach or Bad Coach

This is an opinion question that I have heard argued both ways....

If you have a coach that consistently wins 18-22 regular season games a year and consistently stays atop of their district standings but then they get put out every year either in the region quarter-finals or region-semi finals, are they considered a good coach?

1) Are they a good coach because they consistently stay competitive due to their regular season schedule and district record? 

or

2) Are they a bad coach because they can never get over the hump and win the big games?

• Like 1

18-20 wins, means nothing if they are not quality wins in my opinion

Winning districts consistently, yes positive

Getting knocked out in regions, no shame there, also a positive

The question would be what is keeping this coach from getting over the hurdle? Are they stuck in their ways and not willing to adjust? Do they just simply run it to better talent at the stage? 

A lot of variables to determine what constitutes a "good coach"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Random1234 said:

18-20 wins, means nothing if they are not quality wins in my opinion

Winning districts consistently, yes positive

Getting knocked out in regions, no shame there, also a positive

The question would be what is keeping this coach from getting over the hurdle? Are they stuck in their ways and not willing to adjust? Do they just simply run it to better talent at the stage? 

A lot of variables to determine what constitutes a "good coach"

I agree with your thoughts!

7 hours ago, WestTennRaider said:

This is an opinion question that I have heard argued both ways....

If you have a coach that consistently wins 18-22 regular season games a year and consistently stays atop of their district standings but then they get put out every year either in the region quarter-finals or region-semi finals, are they considered a good coach?

1) Are they a good coach because they consistently stay competitive due to their regular season schedule and district record? 

or

2) Are they a bad coach because they can never get over the hump and win the big games?

There’s a lot of bad districts and regions in the state so 18 wins is not very impressive. I judge coaches on being able to compete with equal teams and being able to come up with a game plan and getting an upset every now and then.

This is a great question. I have seen coaches that win every year and make the state tourney regularly that aren’t great coaches but have excellent talent. I see coaches who coach less talent and are competitive against everyone but may win only 10-12 games every year. I look at these things:

1. They play with effort and purpose.

2. Fundamentally sound.

3. Player development..

4. Game plans that give them a chance to win. 
5. Their in game adjustments succeed.

6. Play with discipline.

7. Togetherness 

This is how I judge a coach. Championship are great but that isn’t all that goes into being a good coach.

• Like 1

I had a coach that would push us and get the best out of each and every one of us. We could dominate our district or at least win in most years for about 8-10 years. Come region time, the Memphis schools would smack us. They were just bigger and better most years. Eventually those schools got bumped up a class. Great coach but never won the region. Made it to sub state twice. Lost by a free throw in one game.