Eddie Courtney is retiring

2 hours ago, chsbobcat09 said:

Still a ways away yes, but maybe not as far as you’d think. I know they have a few very good athletes there alr with the word being more are on the way. Matthews can coach, there’s no debating his coaching resume. From what I hear, they are really making a push towards football and it’s obvious. Take their youth camp recently for example. Had over 200 kids show up. To put in perspective, Central had like 35-40. That’s gotta mean some steps towards Football becoming a priority there. Just my opinion 

This is a very true statement. There is a lot of movement going on at Concorde. Somebody else said on another thread that there’s a lot of money sitting around ready to be spent on the athletic program. I know they have money, it’s just if they're willing to spend it on the athletic department, which they haven’t over the years, but we will see. Concord Christian is different than the other private schools in the area, if you’re in seventh or eighth grade, you can play on the high school team, and I’m pretty sure that’s one of their main selling points, which is why I’ve seen a few people already announce they are going there, but we will see. Concord Christian has some land behind their school that’s just really being used as a soccer field right now. You can definitely squeeze a football stadium, a soccer stadium, and a baseball stadium all within that piece of land, even if you need to do what Dobbins Bennett did. They already have a really nice scoreboard for the soccer field, so they’ve already dashed out some money, but we will see if they do that for football, and if they do, I think it’s going to come faster than everyone thinks.

31 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

Earlier in season you said I was a HVA booster, now I am a Farragut booster? That’s hilarious, I wish I had enough money to be anyone’s booster.  

I never claimed you were a Hardin Valleu booster. In fact, I don’t even know if Hardin Valley has any boosters or even has a booster club, but I know Farragut does and I know you’re a part of it.

12 hours ago, Dawgz4life said:

I never claimed you were a Hardin Valleu booster. In fact, I don’t even know if Hardin Valley has any boosters or even has a booster club, but I know Farragut does and I know you’re a part of it.

I assure you I am no booster for any high school program. Never have been never will be. 

18 hours ago, chsbobcat09 said:

Still a ways away yes, but maybe not as far as you’d think. I know they have a few very good athletes there alr with the word being more are on the way. Matthews can coach, there’s no debating his coaching resume. From what I hear, they are really making a push towards football and it’s obvious. Take their youth camp recently for example. Had over 200 kids show up. To put in perspective, Central had like 35-40. That’s gotta mean some steps towards Football becoming a priority there. Just my opinion 

That's surprising about the numbers of the two football camps. I knew Central was going to have one. Didn't know Concord was having one. Key to those camps is who are you attracting. A kid that can help you in a few years or just some kids going to a camp that wants to try football. It will be interesting to see how both programs grow with new coaches.

2 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

That's surprising about the numbers of the two football camps. I knew Central was going to have one. Didn't know Concord was having one. Key to those camps is who are you attracting. A kid that can help you in a few years or just some kids going to a camp that wants to try football. It will be interesting to see how both programs grow with new coaches.

I took my grandson to that camp, and it was really well organized and instructive.  Heath Shuler and Eric Ainge were the "draw", and it worked.   There were over 200 kids there from age 7 to middle school.  And I didn't take him because there are plans for my grandson to go there, but because it was a good opportunity for my grandson to get a little offseason instruction and keep the desires kindled.  Good on Concord Christian for putting on that event and opening it up to the public.  

Matthews is a very good football coach.  I have a friend who is on that staff, and he tells me that Steve is doing all of the right things.  Hopefully he has his issues in the rear-view mirror.  I'm all for second chances and redemption and forgiveness.  We've all fallen short and aren't without shortcomings.  Hopefully it works out for him and for that program.  It can be similar to Grace Christian in a few years, in my opinion.   

And adding as an edit:

If school vouchers pass in Tennessee, and this is not a political discussion, but just an opinion on what happens if they do (and with the party that supports them having a legislative supermajority and the Governorship I expect it to pass and be signed in to law) this will open the door for schools like Concord Christian to be affordable to many more families.  I have a feeling we'll see more private schools in the Grace Christian/Concord Christian price range benefit, and that will mean more students to play sports.  

And not only will those schools benefit, but public-school districts that charge a tuition for out of district transfers (Oak Ridge, Maryville, Alcoa, Greeneville for example) will also see transfers come in, too, as the vouchers can be used at either private/parochial and public schools.  

And parental choice in education is not a bad thing, in my opinion.  

Edited by HTV

On 3/13/2024 at 8:03 PM, Dawgz4life said:

This is a very true statement. There is a lot of movement going on at Concorde. Somebody else said on another thread that there’s a lot of money sitting around ready to be spent on the athletic program. I know they have money, it’s just if they're willing to spend it on the athletic department, which they haven’t over the years, but we will see. Concord Christian is different than the other private schools in the area, if you’re in seventh or eighth grade, you can play on the high school team, and I’m pretty sure that’s one of their main selling points, which is why I’ve seen a few people already announce they are going there, but we will see. Concord Christian has some land behind their school that’s just really being used as a soccer field right now. You can definitely squeeze a football stadium, a soccer stadium, and a baseball stadium all within that piece of land, even if you need to do what Dobbins Bennett did. They already have a really nice scoreboard for the soccer field, so they’ve already dashed out some money, but we will see if they do that for football, and if they do, I think it’s going to come faster than everyone thinks.

Tell us DFL how Concord, (not Concorde) is different than let's say Webb School of Knoxville. Plus Concord might have room to build athletic fields, but they will have an uphill battle with their neighbors not want lights shining in their windows.

1 hour ago, BigTime1950 said:

Tell us DFL how Concord, (not Concorde) is different than let's say Webb School of Knoxville. Plus Concord might have room to build athletic fields, but they will have an uphill battle with their neighbors not want lights shining in their windows.

Potato potato, and I told you the difference because I’m pretty sure at Concord for seventh and eighth grade. You can practice and play with the high schoolers, and I’m sure that’s one of their main things they are pushing, and in fact, I know they are because I know people who are going to be using it. You can’t do that at Knoxville Webb, Knoxville Catholic, or any school around Knoxville. I’m pretty sure the only school that offers it is around this area is TKA all the way in Seymour, and that’s only for eighth graders. I know some people who have used it, but other people don’t have the money to go all the way up to Seymour for one year, so they don't, but Concord offers that, and no other school around here can, and for the lights, I’m sure they will just do what South Doyle did, put some trees in between the football field and the neighborhood. Of course, that’s easier said than done, and I’m sure Concord has the money to make the two houses (at most) play hush up if they really wanted to.

15 hours ago, Dawgz4life said:

Potato potato, and I told you the difference because I’m pretty sure at Concord for seventh and eighth grade. You can practice and play with the high schoolers, and I’m sure that’s one of their main things they are pushing, and in fact, I know they are because I know people who are going to be using it. You can’t do that at Knoxville Webb, Knoxville Catholic, or any school around Knoxville. I’m pretty sure the only school that offers it is around this area is TKA all the way in Seymour, and that’s only for eighth graders. I know some people who have used it, but other people don’t have the money to go all the way up to Seymour for one year, so they don't, but Concord offers that, and no other school around here can, and for the lights, I’m sure they will just do what South Doyle did, put some trees in between the football field and the neighborhood. Of course, that’s easier said than done, and I’m sure Concord has the money to make the two houses (at most) play hush up if they really wanted to.

You are pretty sure about a lot of stuff aren't you. Pretty sure doesn't count in TSSAA eligibility rules. I bet you haven't even read the rules. Read the rules and then tell me if you are 100% positive 7th graders can practice and play with a varsity football team in the state of Tennessee. Here is another clue. Webb School of Knoxville has an upper school and lower school. No separate middle school. Webb School of Knoxville has had several 8th graders practice and play with the varsity football team. Do you even know how an 8th grader is eligible to play varsity sports. But go ahead and just be pretty sure about stuff.