$750,000 Lawsuit Files Against Warren County School District

BDURHAM

6 hours ago, option76 said:

From what I have read the student deserves to win this suit.  

1 hour ago, TrickyD said:

If she is that good college coaches would still be looking

If a student athlete breaks team rules and the consequence is worthy of being dismissed from the team, then she should have been dismissed. I agree with TrickyD, she would still have looks if she was good enough. This will set a precedent that will ruin high school sports if she wins this. 

4 hours ago, ICrushBigOrange said:

If a student athlete breaks team rules and the consequence is worthy of being dismissed from the team, then she should have been dismissed. I agree with TrickyD, she would still have looks if she was good enough. This will set a precedent that will ruin high school sports if she wins this. 

I am assuming that you are not a lawyer and speaking in gross generalizations.

FYI -- Not the first time a school system has faced a lawsuit over a player being dismissed from a team.

13 hours ago, option76 said:

From what I have read the student deserves to win this suit.  

12 hours ago, repoman said:

County lawsuits have consequences = city/county tax increases,school budget cuts, etc.. etc..

11 hours ago, BDURHAM said:

College coaches stopped looking at Winfree after the coach destroyed Winfree's reputation and shared things with coaches.

I am pro coach all day long but there are some knucklehead hires for sure. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2024 at 6:49 PM, BDURHAM said:

I am assuming that you are not a lawyer and speaking in gross generalizations.

FYI -- Not the first time a school system has faced a lawsuit over a player being dismissed from a team.

I am not aware of any legal precedents in which the plaintiff in this case would win.  If so, what are they? 

This player's family is going to spend the cost of college tuition x4 in legal fees if it ever even makes it to court IMO. 

Edited by thegreatwhite1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Indian said:

Why not sign with/walk on to one of the JUCO teams in the state and work to join a four-year after if the opportunity is there. 

Something don’t add up here a college coach is not going to turn away a good player they need just because they didn’t get along with their high school coach 

• Like 1

Winfree's senior year was the season she needed to secure more college interest. That opportunity was taken away from her.

A lot of false assumptions can be made about what happened and what the options are. Unfortunately, the former coach and administration did not allow Winfree to have due process. A lawsuit was filed for a reason, and it will run its course by people who conduct discovery and take depositions. Unless the parties settle out of court, a lot of the pertinent issues will come to the public surface.

I wrote about many of the issues here: https://bdnewsletter.news/2023/11/17/grounds-for-investigation-and-suspension/

I interviewed Winfree after she was dismissed from the team and wrote about it here: https://bdnewsletter.news/2023/12/01/a-new-interview-with-sable-winfree/

Winfree had been on teams in Warren County since the fourth grade and never been dismissed from a team. The real questions are why was Winfree dismissed from the team, and why the administration backed a coach whom they did not rehire.

9 hours ago, BDURHAM said:

Winfree's senior year was the season she needed to secure more college interest. That opportunity was taken away from her.

A lot of false assumptions can be made about what happened and what the options are. Unfortunately, the former coach and administration did not allow Winfree to have due process. A lawsuit was filed for a reason, and it will run its course by people who conduct discovery and take depositions. Unless the parties settle out of court, a lot of the pertinent issues will come to the public surface.

I wrote about many of the issues here: https://bdnewsletter.news/2023/11/17/grounds-for-investigation-and-suspension/

I interviewed Winfree after she was dismissed from the team and wrote about it here: https://bdnewsletter.news/2023/12/01/a-new-interview-with-sable-winfree/

Winfree had been on teams in Warren County since the fourth grade and never been dismissed from a team. The real questions are why was Winfree dismissed from the team, and why the administration backed a coach whom they did not rehire.

Sad deal. Hate it. So the coach that kicked her off is now fired?? 

13 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Sad deal. Hate it. So the coach that kicked her off is now fired?? 

The definition of what happened to the ex-coach is ambiguous. The school said they were going in a different direction and thanked her for her service as coach. Apparently, coaches in Warren County operate on one-year agreements of some type. Rumors are that she was asked to resign, and refused. Whatever happened, it appears that the school system did not renew the one-year agreement with the ex-coach to come back for another season. One and done tenure as coach. Stotts has been a guidance counselor at the high school in Warren County.

Several years ago, the former girls coach who is now an AD and assistant principal dismissed Stotts from his staff on the first day of the season. That reality made the hiring of Stotts a mystery to many people in Warren County.

On 4/24/2024 at 11:43 AM, TrickyD said:

If she is that good college coaches would still be looking

That is absolutely not the truth.  Few if any college coaches or school administrators want to be in the middle of legal proceedings if there is any way possible to avoid being caught in the middle.  With that being said I have two questions:

1.  Why would a coach remove any player from the team for using the F WORD?  Yes, I fully understand the player must be held accountable for her actions.  Maybe extra running and even a one game suspension but if every kid or coach that used improper language was kicked off the team or fired, they would have no players or coaches available to play the games.

2.  If there was truly another player or coach that witnessed this situation, and they agree with the player then by all means the coach should be held accountable for their actions.  

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1