$750,000 Lawsuit Files Against Warren County School District

BDURHAM

13 hours ago, BDURHAM said:

I am going to assume you are not a lawyer, and most reasonable lawyers would not say the lawsuit has a zero percent chance in court.

I agree with you that a coach has the ability to dismiss anyone from a team. However, Ms. Winfree was never presented with the opportunity to present her witnesses and have them tell the coaches and administrators what they heard.

A lawyer could better explain the lawsuit and the grounds to you. Before you start making wild assumptions about the lawsuit, would it be too much to ask that you do a little legal research first? The lawsuit is dealing with due process, loss of property, and defamation.  

You can read the lawsuit here: https://bdnewsletter.files.wordpress.com/2024/04/doc-1-complaint-filed-4-18-2024.pdf

No reasonable lawyer would take up this case. I am not a lawyer, but I know school law in and out.  Similar situations just like this play out thousands of times each year across the country, even at the college level (i.e. Ole Miss)  The Plaintiff's never win...ever.  If I am wrong, please provide a legal precedent for me. I will be waiting. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39431892/judge-drops-ole-miss-player-lawsuit-lane-kiffin

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thegreatwhite1 said:

No reasonable lawyer would take up this case. I am not a lawyer, but I know school law in and out.  Similar situations just like this play out thousands of times each year across the country, even at the college level (i.e. Ole Miss)  The Plaintiff's never win...ever.  If I am wrong, please provide a legal precedent for me. I will be waiting. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39431892/judge-drops-ole-miss-player-lawsuit-lane-kiffin

Basically what you're saying is schools can basically bully students around and get away with it because they are protected. I agree to a certain extent but when schools decisions to keep knuckleheads on staff starts costing kids careers and a college education there is a problem. Our school system last week had a teacher supposedly push a kid and the parents went to the law and the teacher is suspended. So I wouldn't say that they can just do what they want without liability. This case don't pass the smell test because the coach had already been fired before and she got fired after a year on the job. Sounds like the student was right in this case on the outside looking in because the coach gets fired after one year. How many coaches get fired after one year?? Not many. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 9:22 AM, thegreatwhite1 said:

If a family has enough money and influence they can get a good attorney to take on the case.  If you think for one minute that attorneys and judges cant be influenced by money you are not in touch with the real world.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbg said:

If a family has enough money and influence they can get a good attorney to take on the case.  If you think for one minute that attorneys and judges cant be influenced by money you are not in touch with the real world.  

The lawsuit requests a jury trial. Sable Winfree has extremely competent legal representation. FYI - her lawyer represented the Warren County school system for years, and I believe he knows what constitutes a reasonable lawsuit.

12 hours ago, BDURHAM said:

The lawsuit requests a jury trial. Sable Winfree has extremely competent legal representation. FYI - her lawyer represented the Warren County school system for years, and I believe he knows what constitutes a reasonable lawsuit.

Absolutely the plaintiff wants a jury trial.  Again, this case will be settled out of court and will never go to trial. The compensation will be sealed and the public will not know the compensation amount.

• Like 1

This whole situation is bonkers. You don’t just kick your star player off the team just because you heard them say the F word; the coach definitely had something against the player, or somebody definitely did. Also, nobody has brought up the idea that the school blackmailed the college to get the college to withdraw the scholarship offer, not to mention that the coach who kicked her off is no longer even with the program; they were fired. I think this is a pretty easy lawsuit. I don’t know if she should deserve that much money, but I think she should get enough money for a full-ride scholarship if she cannot get one after this situation.

25 minutes ago, Dawgz4life said:

This whole situation is bonkers. You don’t just kick your star player off the team just because you heard them say the F word; the coach definitely had something against the player, or somebody definitely did. Also, nobody has brought up the idea that the school blackmailed the college to get the college to withdraw the scholarship offer, not to mention that the coach who kicked her off is no longer even with the program; they were fired. I think this is a pretty easy lawsuit. I don’t know if she should deserve that much money, but I think she should get enough money for a full-ride scholarship if she cannot get one after this situation.

Yeah and the coach is gone. Whole bizarre situation here. We played them a couple of times at MTSU last few years. She was a player for sure. 

• Like 2

On 5/3/2024 at 4:38 PM, cbg said:

If an attorney sees enough merit in the case they will take it and only collect if their client wins. Happens in civil cases all the time. 

• Upvote 1