FINAL SUMMARY: 1A

WesVLT

RHSfan - some of us understood your post. It seems as if he took it very personally. It was nice of you to apologize, but perhaps VolG should also apologize for jumping on you so hard.

Some folks seem to be overlooking the fact that private means "private" and that private is inherently exclusive whether it is by intelligence, finances, race, religion, ethnicity, etc. It doesn't matter whether it's B-B, CPA, Baylor or whomever, if you don't take everybody you're exclusive and private. And when you do that you have advantages over those who take everybody who walks in the door and signs up for classes. It never ceases to amaze me that otherwise intelligent people would even try to argue that fact. A public school of 1000 students cannot possibly compete with MBA year in and year out.

And some "privates" are even more private than others! Check out the differences between McCallie and Lighthouse Christian.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:

Posted by pioneer8991:

2 of 5 with only 17 pri schools participating (2 of the 17 in 2A).

I have to disagree with an earlier post about intelligent athletes. Having athletes that are smart and adaptable is a huge advantage. The more they can absorb, the more versatile you can be. It completely changes your outlook as coach on what you can do week to week. This kind if week to week change drives opposing coaches crazy. Same reason many publics use simpler O and D schemes.

[Edited by pioneer8991 on 12-16-02 6:13A]

That`s probably true if you think that public school kids aren`t intelligent enough to learn more schemes. If our expectations are low, then so will the results be low. Same as our current public education system. We have lowered our expectations.

VG, be realistic. -- RHS

Free.. not hardly. You pay almost 10% in Tennessee and local sales taxes, not to mention being taxed on the federal level, so that Washington can send the money back to Tennessee with plenty of red tape attached.

Posted by scout:

Given a choice, most private school parents would choose a Watertown over a DCA because, in addition to being a quality education in a safe, disciplined environment, it is also free!

Pujo..Wow, this comment is a mind blower. Yes, Boyd has several African American students, but to say that because they are African American they automatically have speed?????? You need to get off that mountain every once in a while. Boyd's fastest players this year are white and I am sure that Cloudlands quarterback was faster than any African American on Boyds team (maybe not Nelson, it's debateable) regardless I hope my point is well taken. Black doesnt equal speed. And as SuperSteve stated a school in a metropolitan area will typically have a few more African American students. I'm just suprised the race card was even brought out of the hand, I know you didn't bring it up Pujo so I'm not pinning that on you but race shouldnt even be a discussion.

How many african americans did CPA have? Ezell did have a few, but I don't recall them winning the gold ball.

Having African Americans does not mean you will or won't be successful. Bishop Byrne, a predominately black team, beat SBEC 68-14 in the state title game. Mitchell High School, a predominately black team, lost to Lipscomb a predominately white team in 2A. Maryville a predominately white team beats Hillsboro who had some black people on their team. I really don't think it matters that much, except in 1A, and many people just use that for an excuse. It is too highly contested either way and changes from year to year.

If African American athletes are the end all be all of high school football...and a split does occur. Then West TN football, especially at the 1A and 2A level (since their will be 4 classifications) will dominate. The majority of Shelby Co. is black, but that does not necessarily bring home state championships. So why do teams like Tredwell, Southside, Westside have trouble beating each other or any other team for that matter? Coaching, hardwork, player turnout, parent support, fundamentals, funding, and many other things contribute to winning programs.

Ego, to back up your point, CPA had 2 (count 'em, 2), African American players, neither of whom had any real impact this year- 1) Senior Eric Holt, an excellent running back/corner who was injured in the first game and was out for the entire season, and 2) Sophomore Jordan Dickerson, who barely played at all this year.

Virtually every team CPA faced in the playoffs (with the exception of Wayne County) had superior speed, black or white. So this postulate of race-based advantage is yet another red herring.