Clinton alumnus complains about football leadershi

orangenblack

Why do all you Clinton alum think Gaylor left? Because he is a smart guy and he saw the writing on the wall. He knew the talent level was getting read to drop off and he wasn't going to be around to see it. Just to enlighten you a little, high school football is a little different than college football. High school coaches take the hand they are dealt and do the best they can with it. Could they have won more games? Definitely. Does Catlett deserve all the blame? Definitely not. According to parents, it's the coaches fault when their kids team isn't winning. On the contrary, when they are winning it's because they have good players.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Anderson Co, does recruit.

2. Players make plays. Good players make good teams. Certainly coaching is a factor but is over rated. If Clinton had good players they would be getting into the play-offs. They had a good Freshaman class and from what I understand they have a good freshman class coming in. If they can keep them from A.C. I think you will start seeing the team improve in a couple of years.

3. If you fire the present coach who will you hire?

Catlett,

A good coach with no athetes. Give him time to get these athelets from the freshman and 8th grade team and see what happens. Keep the politics out of coaching and let him show you what he can do. A team must have players to play and when your down players don't want to play. Especially when people in the community don't want you there. The day he was hired they wanted him gone. He as never been credit for a team with no athetes. If Catlett was gone then they still would be losing. If that parent that wanted him gone knew anything about football he would know what it takes to be successfull, and right now Clinton does not have that in its hallways.

I'm glad u people think u know what ur talking about and to say that clinton doesnt have good players or athletes whatever u said is the biggest bunch of crap ive ever heard in my life... you're telling me hold on short list Matt Lopez (UTC) Jesse Rodd (Union) shouldve been d1 Bo Pebley (Tusculum) ok that was from the 2002 class... yeah they dont have any good players so i guess those colleges wasted money on bad players eh.... if u dont know the situation at clinton just dont open your mouth.. ive been through this for 4 years and know everything thats going on... so if uve been around for the 4 years and heard everything u have a right to say something... ok and AC not recruiting sure ok heres a name Matt Purkey there ya go he had sought out to go to AC for a while then they said they would pay for his shoulder surgury if he came welp he's there isnt he

Guest cole703

Let me start by saying that I know nothing about Clinton or their program. However, I do know a few things about athletic programs and the business world. They are very similar in that the CEO/head coach must be a person that is a leader. The employees/players must respect the coach/CEO and be willing to do what they ask with little or no explanation needed. The head person and the people around him must be very organized and hold everyone else accountable for each other. If Clinton was late for a practice game it is a sure signal that they have an organization problem. Very few businesses/athletic programs can maintain any level of success if they are not organized. They may have some success but they will never have a top notch program each year and that is what most people are looking for.

Cole703... are you going to be upset with a coach who was late for a scrimmage? One time Friendship didn't show up for a JV game until five minutes AFTER it was supposed to start, they couldn't get a bus until late. Should they have fired their coach. These things happen! I once had to cancel a baseball game on gameday because our "one" extra bus broke down. I can tell you that over the last 12 years I can remember many times when an opposing coach showed up late to a scrimmage. For that matter, I have had referee crews not show up all together! Maybe we should fire the TSSAA refs for that? These things happen! You are right about the head coach being somewhat like a CEO, but we both know that very seldom does a head coach have the ability to do what a CEO can do, i.e. go out and hire what he needs to get the job done. You must play the "hand that you are dealt." With that in mind, I think you should never hire a head coach without giving him/her at least 3-5 years before you start talking about getting rid of them. It just takes that long to evaluate their performance! We have been around long enough to know that some things are just out of our control. Like you, I don't know anything about the Clinton situation, but every coach has his/her internal problems.