Division 2 basketball

dpg123

Guest hogfan10

oh that comment went out to bcrest2. haha..and do you think you are a labron james or something. you commented on ryan holding you to only 12 points. you must be that cold to not have been heard of that much in the past.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reference to Dingo,

MUS really thrashed the public school boys. I saw them hold a Corey Bradford led Raleigh Egypt team to 10 points in a half once...he had 3 at halftime.

They would come out there and run a 1-3-1 zone, and no one had a chance. My dad played collegiately and in high school he played for Memphis Overton. His graduation class had 900 kids...he said they NEVER beat MUS. MUS always caused teams problems.

This is a unbiased post even though my daughter goes to Harding:

Harding a is a real good team. They have beaten Jackson Chritian School(in gomabs top 20), traveled 3 hours to beat Houston Co. and Cumberland Co. both. They beat a athletic Bihsop Byrne team, and tongiht get to play a decent Hendersonville team and then tomorrow a decent BA team. Their only loss comes against a very good Haywood Co. team that i garuntee shot close to 70% in the game(behind the 3 point arc they where about 14/24). Harding has a couple of really good players:

John Bradford- 20+ppg 10+rpg, i mean he might be one of the most underrated players in the city right now. Only weak spot is the free throws

Tre Williams- 10+ppg 5apg, he is developed into a all-around offensive player, he see things on the floor that nobody else sees, his defense impresses me one minute then he slacks off the next

Adam Rodriguez- 10+ppg, what cant he do, great passer, handler, and shooter.

Justin Jenkins-10+ppg, good shooter, plays the best defnse on the team

Byron Taylor- will play for the first time tonight, tallest player on team, he will give Harding a little bit of a inside presence which they havent had this year

Brennon Martin-5ppg, best pure shooter on team and maybe in D2. plays decent D

Micheal McNutt- Mr. hustle, he plays really good D, he always give 110%, and what else can you ask for from a 5'8 or 5'9 PG

Clark Collins- good shot, plays good D, most fundementally sound player on team

Tacuma Alexander- Attiba Alexander(briarcrest last year) brother, plays hard, has some mental breakdowns but he is only a freshman

Mariun Price- has adapted better to the varsity agme than any other freshman this year, he also has his breakdowns sometimes also

Tyler Stafford- plays great D, takes the charge, he got crushed 3 times against Byrne all leading to Byrne fouls

Greg Hardy- was most pleasent suprise this summer, hasnt played yet because of grades but will get his first chance tonight

I dont anything about Father Ryan, but Harding is a dang good basketball team, so come watch them play tonight 6:00, Bartlett High School, Bartlett, Tennessee v.s. Hendersonville.

TheEgoHasLanded,

Thanks. My point exactly, almost. The "almost" caveat comes in that I really believe that the same could be true today. It might take a few games to realign strategies, etc. Look at the coaches I name; several of them are still at their schools.

The present division is a perversion; points of comparison will continue to diminish until independent schools use their clout to change it. The "clout" I reference is not the "professional" elite among educators; I refer to their (the NAIS schools among the TSSAA) alumni. If the TN NAIS would drop their ridiculous claim that only they (the administrators, AD's included) can deal with the TSSAA, this problem would be solved almost immediately. Their alumni know whom to hold to the fire. To quote the bard "Let loose the dogs of war."

Dingo,

I have witnessed Division 2 basketball change and it has gotten worse. You are definitely correct that about 5 years ago, privates and publics could play, and their would be some major wars there, but those days are gone in the city of Memphis at least.

I remember days of long ago when I would go to Ridgeway high school and see those games I talked about.

R-E vs MUS

Kingsbury vs ECS

MUS vs Ridgeway

Briarcrest was good as well I think John Wilfong went there, who was a great player.

Heck CBHS was good as well (Bubba Luckett).

But none of these schools in Memphis are having talent that is as good as it was at that time or perhaps the kids are now playing two sports instead of just basketball, and that is taking time away from their game.

The quality of basketball has dwindled, and many of the 2A schools (the schools ECS, HARDING, BRIARCREST) would be playing have really gotten good in the city of Memphis.

Now, does that mean that a team like MUS could not compete against the publics? No, obviously not. But Booker T. Washington, Carver, Ridgeway, Melrose, Fairley would beat most private schools. I'm not even going to talk about Bartlett, East, White Station, etc.

But some teams in Division 2, especially the D2-A teams would have no chance at all.

I remember Ingle Martin's senior year they won their third straight division 2 championship in basketball. They did however lose to 1A Cosby at home. Cosby has about 350 kids or so and Cosby only got to the sectionals in 1A that year.

There are many changes that need to be made in the city of Memphis in terms of basketball involving private schools. I'm not going to name names, but when you have 700 boys at your disposal, and you still get beat by a co-ed Father Ryan, Harding, ECS, or Lausanne...there needs to be changes.

I think the open enrollment policy has also hurt the private schools in some aspects...or it would if the teams were grouped together again. Some teams are able to constantly reload even when they lose 7 seniors (White Station).

First of all the game was at Cosby. Secondly, Ingle Martin did not play in the game. Nor did Domonique Morris and Moses Osemwegie. All three were on football recruiting trips. You could not have found a coach in the state that would have wanted to play that MBA team during the playoffs.

I can only speak for the Nashville area, but it is the DI schools that refuse to play the D2's. Marshall Co. and Columbia have played MBA for years, and both schools dropped MBA this year.

Ahh, I stand corrected about the location of that game. I never said Ingle Martin played in that game ;)

I don't think the publics mind playing the privates in basketball in Memphis. I think JCS or USJ would have no trouble scheduling some of the opponents in Jackson for a regular season game. I think this debate is more centered on if privates can still play with some of the city schools. I have to say, that on the whole, they can not. I am not going to say which teams can or which teams can't but some of these D2 schools have only won 1 or 2 games...and some of them won't win any district games...and if it weren't for them scheduling small schools (private schools with about 150 kids) they probably wouldn't have any wins. That's the honest truth, if you want to see what schools I am kinda referring to, then simply look at the schedules.

I would not make an argument that the independent schools (indys) are as good as the government run schools (grs) in basketball. For the most part, they are not.

What I do find interesting about this is that unlike football, the grs, with few exceptions, have no "ethical" problems scheduling basketball games against the indys. Why is this?

Clearly, we are told, the whole split argument has nothing to do with winning...it's all about the special advantages that the indys have. I guess these advantages disappear when it comes to hoops. Food for thought.

[Edited by itzme on 12-21-02 1:21P]

Hey MBA narcissist...I'm quite sure that many D1 coaches from the winter of 2001 would confidently take the challenge of your MBA title team who beat my Father Ryan team by less than 15 in the state finals....and we beat your team that year in the region finals in O.T.. I'm sure you got fired up about the Cosby thing, and I do remember that game and how it was announced that MBA was without the afformentioned stars. But I think this latest arguement in the thread has to do with the split of pubs and prives. And I think the arguement is stupid because Dingo was only trying to say that in a bad year of D2 (with our limited numbers) we have been caught arguing "with arrogance" about games that should be precceeeded with humility in comparrison to some of the rest of the state schools. In your latest post JM you seem to show that same arrogance....I know all about D2 football and we are somthing else (especially if my school could pick up our end of the bargin)...but D2 vs. D1 in basketball is another game. The way I take Dingo's post is for us to keep talking smack amongst ourselves, just don't start thinking we are world beaters....because the old rivalries before the split blow away the likes of MBA vs. BAYLOR and FATHER RYAN vs. MUS....and we all know it's the truth.

[Edited by frhsrules on 12-22-02 1:01A]

Indian...

Class A is a little different for a few reasons that I will now discuss.

How many teams from Memphis are in Class A?

I think Mitchell chooses to play in Class A and that is all. Since basketball only has three classifications...some of the Memphis City schools could play in Class A if they chose to. BTW is 2A in football and I wonder if they would qualify for 1A in basketball. It isn't the same. Public schools are better then private schools the higher up you go. White Station and the 3A schools are better then the D2 schools. BTW and White Station have been nationally ranked the last two years, none of the D2 schools can say that.