Sonic Middle School tourney

thegatling

Middle TN might not have as many feeder programs as does east TN as. But it has been gettting better over the last 3 or 4 years. A few new wrestling feeder programs have really caught on in nashville and surrounding areas. Nashville has always had the large kids program copperheads and many other programs are springing up in hendersonville murphresburo and nashville. You can tell middle TN wrestling is on the up and up when go down to the TN chalenge cup. most of the younger kids where from middle TN.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coach is free to question the official. But he does it at his peril. Smart coaches know how to, young coaches always struggle with it.

A coach going to the table MUST be questioning a rule. An official has only two options; change a call based on rule or warn the coach for questioning judgement. The first trip by the coach is free, no points, warning only.

Most coaches (young ones esp.) take a coach to the table because he "didnt see" it the same way the official did.

Bad idea, it will cost you (warning).

Officials (young ones esp.) havent gotten that sense of disgression or subjectivity regarding their judgement being questioned.

Coaches approaching the table to speak to the referee should have a question. The official should answer it and do the appropriate actions. It pains me to see young officials trying to give a clinic to a coach at the table.

Case in point; Wrestler A has control of Wrestler B in a cradle. Pulls him over himself to earn back points, but B posts and leaves A on his back, still in control. B strengthens his position while in a cradle, and begins to scoop the head, maintaining his post. When A appears he cannot turn him, control has changed and reversal is awarded. Time expires in the period. Coach of A goes ballistic and marches to the table, explaining to the official his wrestler maintained the cradle and could not have lost control. This call is subjective, control is more often felt rather than observed. Coach A is warned and wrestling continues.

That pretty simplistic, but accurate.

I have rarely, if ever seen a single call by an official lose a match for a kid. I have seen an officials mechanics lose matches.

reftn

p.s. Coaches can go for score clarification and things like that without penalty.

[Edited by reftn on 12-23-02 10:22A]

I definitely agree. I haven't seen many actual calls lose the matches for wrestlers. But, I myself have the most difficult time staying in good position to make a call. For example, maintaining a stable vantage point as an official while wrestlers move rapidly in circles while in neutral is very difficult. This is not the only difficulty of officiating, but these types of difficulties are the ones where I see officials miss important calls.

Another example is a picture I saw on a news site where a Clarksville wrestler had an illegal head lock (head throw lock) on a Brentwood wrestler and was going for nearfall points. The wrestler's lock was above the elbow of his opponent's arm, and so it was illegal. However, the official was looking for nearfall underneath the defending wrestler's back, and didn't think to check the lock of the offensive wrestler. You should've seen the look on the official's face when he saw the picture, affirming his missed call.

Case in point: Neither was really a bad call, because the official was calling what he/she saw very accurately. But calls could be missed due to poor position.

[Edited by tnmat on 12-23-02 10:51A]

reftn,

Using your example is great but you should have given the reversal before time expiered if there was any way possible. That way there was no question of your call. Most good officials know (aprox) how much time has expired in each period. Until some of the officals start to attend real mechanics camps (not the rules sessions that they conduct with their associations) they will continue to have problems. Lehigh used to have a great weekend wrestling officials clinic!!!!!!!

cbq...

I agree with you.....time wasnt the issue really. But you bring up another good point.

Once the reversal or escape (both indicating loss of control) is established, the call should be made immediately, regardless of the time on the clock. I did use my example in that way on purpose. Most officials make the mistake of letting time run out on the clock, then giving an escape or reversal. This is the hardest call I think. If I am holding on , and hear no indiciation of reversal or escape, and the time runs out, I must feel that I had that control. To award it after the whistle is a great injustice. I am not pointing fingers accept at myself.

Officials take pride in "great no calls, " a situation where a reversal or take down appears to have taken place, when it didnt. Also known as "holding your call." There is justification in this, but can also bite the official on the butt.

reftn

reftn

[Edited by reftn on 12-27-02 9:19P]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pummeler

that gatling kid is bret gatling. he is a good football player and a good wreslter. he is gonna be all metro in both in the tennessee area. im still coming with tom marable

Well I know Apollo and the champion at HEavyweight Trenton Gibbs. So i don't think that still kid from baylor one i think that's who trenton pinned in the finals. I was at Mcgavok so i didn't watch it. He has the first place trophy,so can you tell me why everyone is saying still won. This Kid has never wrestled goes to Sonic Invitational and wins it. I have been trying to teach him some moves, he just goes out there and tackles people. Its kind of funny to watch. He will be great if he will learn to listen. Apollo also had 2nd place at 84 which is my borther Dylan QUick. He lost in overtime in the finals. I wrestled in this tournament last year and it seems like it was a lot better this year. A lot better teams this year. Last year basically my whole team placed. APollo almost won.

[Edited by bqahs on 1-14-03 8:22P]