Sonic Middle School tourney

thegatling

Gatling, Bradley has another feeder school "Ocoee Middle" that wasn't there. I know they have a wrestler in that 135-140 weight class that is pretty pretty good as well. I don't think he has been beaten in 4 or 5 years in his age group in Tennessee. I know that he is planning on wrestling on Team Tennessee in the Challenge Cup this summer. Maybe they'll meet up some day. Good luck to your little brother.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gatling, Does it really matter where I'm from. Since you stated that this middle school tournament was like some kind of state championship or something like that I just thought I'd mention that there was at least one other pretty pretty good wrestler out there that wasn't there. I didn't mean to upset you but whatever.............

Again, good luck to little gatling...

Wrestler4life, if you are telling me Cleveland wrestlers didn't enter weigh-ins after the door closed (signifying the start) then I guess I apologize, I heard different, but I guess you know. One thing you don't know is how many middle tennessee refs officiate the state tournament. Middle TN is well represented with very quality officials. There are just as many (within one either way) calling the finals as Chattanooga also. The Sonic tournament was the 5th tournament going on in the area that weekend. I know some of the officials for that tournament were pretty green, which is why I'm surprised by the behavior of your coach (since he is an official). If anyone should know how to talk to and support the officials it is an official.

The reason officials have to "ding" coaches is to keep from getting run over. If the stories are even in the ballpark of being true, then an unsportsman penalty on your coach early in the tournament would have probably allowed him to see the finals from the corner. And in answer to an earlier post, officials can't pick and choose the rules they follow. Unauthorized hair covering prohibit a wrestler from competing...period. The official doesn't have a choice. Just like they couldn't allow someone to compete wearing high top basketball shoes. Hair covering usually means the hair is longer than allowed or not in its natural state (corn rows). The rule is in place for safety. Fingers have been broken from getting caught in long hair. It probably hasn't happened to anyone you know because the rule has been in place for a long time so the situation doesn't come up...but it did before the rule. Corn rows can be abrasive, so there is a rule to keep them covered...in a protective covering, not a nylon.

Now, I too would be upset if an official was grabbing my wrestler inappropriately, but neither would I allow a coach to continue around kids whose only reaction is to kill the ref.

Officiating is a tough job. I'd invite you to try but I don't think you'd cut it.

YAY! YAY! YAY! I'm so glad that two fine young wrestlers like each other and practice together!! YAY! I'm glad that there's someone out there that my little bro might just beat by points instead of pinning. Try to give some more recognition east tenn. We dont hear enough of it on this message board. I'm done talking about this till my bro's in high school or meets one of these two Bradley kids. Till then, keep complementing yourselves

Just a brief comment regarding the officials.

I am not too familiar on the incident of the middle school tourney, but from what I heard, it went on a long time. Older officials seem to have a look, that a smart coach realizes he is close to crossing that line between inside the gym and outside.

About wearing the proper attire (shoes, lace covers, head covers, etc)..if I am the opposing coach, I am looking for it too, and would bring it up to the ref....maybe at an opportune time.

That gets you match and team points....

As an official...the LAST think I want is the other coach pointing out something I should have caught.....a smart coach would wait unitl he needed it ....say after an injury time out...then point out the violation. His wrestler would then get to place his opponent in the position he wanted (top, bottom, neutral).....because the offending opponent would have to take injury time to correct the violation. Strategy.

Little food for thought...

reftn

Can anyone out there tell me why it is that coaches aren't allowed to question the call of an official? I know someone is going to get on here and say something to the fact that you can take an official to the table yada yada yada but if you do and don't change his opinion about a call by the second time it's a team point and the third time the coach gets tossed. NFL officials make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and they make enough mistakes to have instant replay installed, but for some reason our officials who make about $40 a match are so good that if questioned by a coach it's unsportsmanlike conduct. Doesn't make much sense to me.