Maryville/Wheeler,GA.................

Surf4life

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Maryville didn't play with Lee Humphrey that explains a lot. I didn't think that Maryville would win the game, but I thought they stood a chance of keeping it close. The team is good, but without Lee they are missing something. I think they have a bigger will to win when he is on the court, more confidence. I also think that going into this game without Lee probably killed their confidence. Hopefully they realize that they can play well even without Lee. Anyone got any update on how Drew Houser did in the dunk contest? Was he the only white guy?

Maryville showed alot of heart in the fourth quarter with some good dunks against Wheeler and cut it from being down about 30 to 16. I was dissappointed because I wanted to see Humphrey. Even with Humphrey I imagine that the outcome would have been the same. Wheeler did not have a weak spot on the team and the Alabama signee had about 7 vicious dunks.

Houser really impressed me in the dunk contest. He made it to the final 2 and got beat by a German guy cause he missed his dunk. He dunked 2 balls at once, and took his shirt off to advance. The contest was awesome, one guy from the Bahamas jumped over 4 people to dunk it. The Alabama signee from Wheeler did not enter it or he would have won it hands down.

Maryville is very good this year, I expect big things down the road come tourney time.

I was there and my son plays for the team. MarvvilleRebels is exactly right. My son told me after the game that they were very nervous going out. They did not have Lee and they were playing the best team they will probably see all year.

We did not get the ball past half court for over 1:30 into the game. When we would get a rebound they would steal the ball before we could get to half court. The only points scored in the first quarter were by Epolito's two foul shots with seconds left. The first quarter ended 13-2 and it was 31-10 at the half.

There is no telling how many turnovers we had in that quarter....by everybody!

The big thing is that the second half proved to these guys that they can play very good basketball without Lee. We outscored them 36-31. No disrespect for Lee, but anything could, and probably will happen during the season. Foul trouble, a sprained ankle, or another illness could take Lee out of the game. It doesn't matter in Bristol. That is just for bragging rights. It will matter during district play and post season as our regular competition tightens.

I hope that those guys go out there tonight and whip William Boone (Orlando, FL) without Lee. It will be a big confidence builder.

Go Rebels!!

Let's be real honest. WITH LEE ... Maryville is in the upper echelon in their district and has a real chance to advance (although they are not a lock as proven in last year's regional tournament loss to WB). WITHOUT LEE ... they are mediocre at best and would not be a heavy favorite against a single team in their district (including Heritage).

Houser, Stoutt, Eppilitto (sp?), Tipton ... all are solid role players, but this team has been and is built around Humphrey's production and when it's missing, it spells trouble.

This may sound like I'm knocking them ... I AM NOT. I am speaking truth. Those who watch this team much, and can make an open-minded evaluation would have to agree.

The GovMan (waiting for the rocks to reign down)

I wish you could have seen the second half last night. Granted, the fact is they only played one half and got drilled. However, what I saw was not over those boys heads. It was only the solid basketball that they know how to play.

IF...(I hate that word) they decide to play four quarters like that without Lee, medicore is a huge understatement. I just hope everyone believes you.

You must not have watched them as much as you think you have.

From what I have seen of maryville in the arbys classic, they have all the ingredients to go along way maybe even all the way with lee. Humphry is a pure shooter and a smart player that leads his team well..Wheeler was loaded to the max with athletes that can play ball...Looked like a recruited team to me, but I dont know much about them so I cant say for sure....